The Dark Mod Forums

Does Deus Ex Rip Half Life And Half Life 2 A New One?

Unstoppable

I'm not trying to put Half Life 1 or 2 down in any way. However I have the "I just don't get it feeling." First off I played Half Life 1 on hardest setting and it was still easy. Seriously coming from Quake Team Fortress i'd just totally rape the A.I. I amazed even myself. Got a little over half way before getting bored =(.

Secondly was Half Life 2. All the ooh's and ahh's were ruined by all the damned movies which were released before the game even shipped. I already knew what happend so sitting and playing through it again was like blargh. The first few levels were pretty good. After a while though I was like "where's my story dammit?". I feel like all this crap has just been thrown in and it's like one big obstacle course. Not my type of game.

As far as innovation what exactly did Half Life do that was soo innovative? Script sequences? Wasn't that done before? Awesome A.I.? Thief: The Dark Project anyone?? Great graphics?? Graphics were ok... The game did run quite well i'll give it that.

I wouldn't give Half Life 1 or 2 more then an 8 out of 10. That's being generous. Half Life games just don't have depht that I require ala Deus Ex. Sure I am biased but can you blame me? Hail to the king. Deus Ex > Half Life any day. B)

Flame away! :cast fire armor on self: Don't even get me started on sound/music/voice acting. Deus Ex is sublime. Perhaps the best game I will ever play in my lifetime!

Edited by Unstoppable

Although I didn't enjoy HL2 (except Nova Prospekt, which was great fun), I did enjoy HL1 a lot. Before then, all the FPSes I had played didn't have much in the way of puzzles. They were all just about running around and shooting things. At least in HL1, you had more of a chance to interact with the environment and even stop and think in a few spots. Also, you never quite knew what you were going to encounter next, and there was a wide range of gameplay - one moment you'd be running for your life with a gargantua on your tail, and the next moment you'd be trying to carefully navigate around laser trip-wire bombs setup in a nuke storage facility. The first time I encountered the tentacles or the gargantua really creeped me out. All in all, when I first played HL1, it did a lot of things I had been really wanting to see in an FPS.

Having said that, I also really enjoyed DX1. Talking to people, having an inventory, hacking into surveillance systems, discovering more of the story, etc, was loads of fun.

Although I consider DX1 to be a truly great game, I think HL1 praise-worthy too; it was certainly better than anything before it.

Admittedly I have never played the original Dues Ex. :( But when I first played Halflife 1 I was very impressed at how interactive the environments were and how the Ai was intelligent enough to help you. I also found the story pretty cool. However Halflife 2 took all that carefully planned interactivity away replacing it with physics which imo aren't that fun. I missed having things like buttons that set off alarms which get barney angry ect. I also hated having to wait through the story sequences in Halflife 2 and being unable to kill good guys, it just took away all that freedom I felt in Halflife 1.

Admittedly I have never played the original Dues Ex. :( But when I first played Halflife 1 I was very impressed at how interactive the environments were and how the Ai was intelligent enough to help you. I also found the story pretty cool. However Halflife 2 took all that carefully planned interactivity away replacing it with physics which imo aren't that fun. I missed having things like buttons that set off alarms which get barney angry ect. I also hated having to wait through the story sequences in Halflife 2 and being unable to kill good guys, it just took away all that freedom I felt in Halflife 1.

Ah I get more of it now. Thinking back Half Life 1 was a fun game but it just didn't hold my attention past halfway. I do feel like finishing it now that I started talking about it.

Anyway what are you waiting for? You can get Deus Ex off Ebay. I happen to have an extra copy. Do you live in the U.S.? I could send it to ya for free. ^_^

HL1 was pretty fun. DX1 was better, but that's not really a fair comparison. :)

Still haven't got around to playing HL2. Don't know if I ever will, since it's all tied into Steam. From a developer's POV Steam is really nice, but for someone in the backwoods of Aussie with a crappy internet connection it's just a pain.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

They are different games. Deus Ex is more like an RPG with all the stats and character interaction.

I didn't find HL2 so bad that it's definetly worse than Deus Ex. They are both good in their own way.

No HL2 didn't really do anything technically groundbreaking - yet it was a totally new experience for me. What HL2 brought was very atmospheric level design and artwork, and scripted events - most memorable was the whole coast drive, especially the bridge section, with the train, and the attack later on. I found the whole game very exciting.

HL1 was surprisingly quite fun to play, because it managed to pull me into the story. At the end of the day, it is still a shooter, but it had enough diversity, to make it more or less believable. Funny thing is, when I first got HL1 I didn't like it. This endless driving through the underground, where you couldn't do anything is plain stupid and doesn't serve a purpose. A shorter way would have been better, because you just wait and stare at the screen and nothing happens. When I came down tot he lab, at first I run around and didn't know what to do, so combined with this, I dropped the game. After a fewy years I gave it another try, and then I found out what I needed to do. :) Then it became pretty interesting, and now I'm playing it again, because I liked it quite a lot.

When I played HL2 the first time, the experience was pretty similar. Again that pointless endless journey and then at the station you needed to find out how to start the game. Once I found that ladder though it was a really great experience. I have played no game so far that really managed to give me that feeling as if I were really involved, because the constant pressure and you running away, and the urgency really gave me the feeling as if I were pushed into an underground battle against the alien army. I also liked the canall quite a lot where you had to drive the boat. That cannal reminded me a lot of a place I was in Vienna with some friends as a kind of "test of courage". It was a pretty similar experience, with a big dark tunnel and that sewer floating in the middle. :) Even though I don't like Valve and their attitude, the game itself was really great IMO. I still haven't purchased it because I was pissed of about Steam, and still am.

Gerhard

Ah I get more of it now. Thinking back Half Life 1 was a fun game but it just didn't hold my attention past halfway. I do feel like finishing it now that I started talking about it.

Anyway what are you waiting for? You can get Deus Ex off Ebay. I happen to have an extra copy. Do you live in the U.S.? I could send it to ya for free. ^_^

I live in Canada :) But I will pick it up some day, I should be able to run it on my laptop which would be nice.