The Dark Mod Forums

Alternate Light Gem

BrendaEM

Order of the Hammer Bureaucrat: Life is an ddiction to some extent. We like to have fun, some of use like to sleep (programmers :laugh: ), and we definately love our women. So we usually toss up escapes from games to life very often. (Thats what I meant to say.)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see. Don't know where I could have gotten that idea....

You're right about the pointless bit though.

Sure, and by taking 4 selective, out of context sentences from several detailed posts, you could prove I had said that the Earth was flat and that triangles were round.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ok, so you've just admitted that you're happy to spend the rest of your life making the same generic crap just so you get a wage packet at the end of every week.

Thanks for confirming it. That's exactly why I was insulting game developers.

It's a sliding scale. You can slowly push for unique stuff and we see changes in trends and the occasional risk a publisher takes, but at the end of the day, it's still a job and you have to eat. Of course I am working on my own projects in my own time, hopefully one day I'll be able to release my own games under my own conditions, that's the long term goal.

Maybe you should actually work in the game industry, and try your best to make a game unique and exiting in new ways, and have all your changes sent to the scrap heap in favour of generic crap.

Maybe you should just get a "job", so you can understand the difference between doing what you want to do, and doing what you have to do, so you can eat at the end of the week - a concept lost on you since you've never held a real job in your area of expertise, to this date.

Untill either of those things happen, your sweeping generalisations have no shred of credibilty, and you'll always be an armchair observationist.

what does oddity do anyway? I know he's a talented modeler, but I get the feeling that's not what he does for a living. And with his complete lack of people skills, I can't see him surviving in any typical line of work.

Which leads me to wonder, how does he pay the bills?

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

Maybe you should actually work in the game industry, and try your best to make a game unique and exiting in new ways, and have all your changes sent to the scrap heap in favour of generic crap.

I've already had that experience here Dom, and I wasn't even being paid for it.

what does oddity do anyway? I know he's a talented modeler, but I get the feeling that's not what he does for a living. And with his complete lack of people skills, I can't see him surviving in any typical line of work.

Which leads me to wonder, how does he pay the bills?

I'm currently modeling professionally, doing high res digital sculpts, so I can earn more for one model that you earn in a week.

What do you do?

You don't need people skills when you have talent, and in fact, if I could just quote the response from my employers about a recent horse sculpt I did -

'Overall, as before your work is stunning. I think it's safe to say that these are probably the best digital horses ever created'

So you see, I don't need to tell them jokes, or become friends with them.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, but from his name, it sounds like his wages would be in Polish currency, so I'd probably need a million of them to buy a pint of milk in the UK.

That's why they're all over here looking for work, there's so many Polish people in my town now, that they've even opened up their own shop to sell whatever food it is that they prefer to eat.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I've already had that experience here Dom, and I wasn't even being paid for it.
Go have a cry. You only had the tiniest taste of what it's like here, and you couldn't even put up with that. Refer to this quote;

I just feel this mod is a waste of my time and talent. I'm stagnating here, almost knocking generic stuff out on a production line.
Well, welcome to the real world. Any project worth doing is going to involve a certain amount of repetition, and, shock horror - stuff you don't want to do. You'd better get used to it.

well, i certainly hope you make more than me! I'm 17! I'm lucky if I can make 4 grand a year playing gigs on the weekends! So here's your ego-trip for the day, oddity, you make more money than a senior in high school! congrats. If I had the money, I'd give you a free shopping spree!

Milestones approaching:

You don't need people skills when you have talent.

ummmm.... no. sorry. unless you're as brilliant as doctor house, people skills, (even if only very minimalistic ones) are required. Ever heard of Charles Schlueter? Probably not. Know why? b/c he was an asshole! He is probably one of the top 10 most talented trumpet players on the face of the earth, and he got fired from his position as principal trumpet player in the Boston Symphony orchestra, b/c of his lack of people skills. Now he's having a hard time finding work elsewhere because no one wants to work with him.

Now think about terrel owens. Many, including myself, would argue that he's the most talented Wide Receiver the NFL has ever had. He got fired for the Eagles, b/c he had no people skills.

My dad on the other hand, is not a genious, nor does he have any particularly outlandish talent. He's very smart, and hardworking, and is great at dealing with people. The obvious result of such qualities is that he's a business professor at Cornell University, and one of the top 5 leading researchers in his field. and I guarantee you, that you don't make more than him.

The moral is, talent is good, in fact, no amount of people skills can make up for a lack of talents. And oddity, beleive me, I do think you are talented, but people skills are also a necessity, no matter how talented you are.

Milestones approaching:

Don't worry then, I have got 'people skills', I just choose not to use them, especially on the internet, where I've never been convinced that it's either necessary or worthwhile.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Go have a cry. You only had the tiniest taste of what it's like here, and you couldn't even put up with that. Refer to this quote;

Well, welcome to the real world. Any project worth doing is going to involve a certain amount of repetition, and, shock horror - stuff you don't want to do. You'd better get used to it.

No, I won't get used to it, I'm freelance, so I pick and choose what I want to do. You choose to work in some generic factory which regurgitates trash titles for the plebes, so you have to accept part of the blame for the product.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Hmm, that's kinda true. The whole fault lies with the Spinning Jenny and James Hargreaves. Because of that people lost their freedom and opportunity to work from home in the british textile cottage industry. This started the move of people to factories and made almost every person an employee.

Not sure why, normal social etiquette between a bunch of avatars and nicknames has always seemed pointless to me since I first started using the internet.

You seem to agree, judging by the way you conduct yourself on these forums.

- Emil Zola

character models site

As anyone round here could have told you, you're not meant to take me seriously....except when you are, but since I never use smilies to distinguish between the two, you have to work it out for yourself.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Oh Jesus Christ Odd! I of all people agree with your ideas about this particular aspect of the mod, but do you HAVE to be such an ass about it? Yes, you can do fine working freelance even if you are the biggest ahole around, but you'd STILL be an ahole. Can't you just play nice? Internet or not we're all real people and for the most part you are treated civilly. Extending the same won't hurt.

As to Spring's quip about the damage model - I think those were only Odd's suggestions for those particular situations. I think it's far to black and white though. Let's go with my model - it's best :P

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.