The Dark Mod Forums

Grass2

comp-music

The idea with this kind of music is that you shouldn't notice it unless you specifically listen for it. This was clearly achieved in the first example, because I could not remember where it was from. On the other hand, the piano music from Widow Moira's Mansion is easily recognisable and quite overdone in my opinion.

oDDity, I have to disagree that musical ambience in games is much different from a film score. I would say that viewing a good movie is also an activity for the audience (at the very least for their brains), although games obviously provide a greater level of involvement.

In both cases, musical score a tool to enhance a mood or emotion, used to overcome the distance or separation created by each mediums interface. The same is done visually with lighting or positioning of the camera in movies, and sometimes in games, too. I'm not a modeler, but I would imagine that you use similar tools when you're setting up a scene for a model shot.

I however fully agree that it should be up to the player if he or she wishes to have ambient music, and think a seperate slider for it should be implemented, like Springheel said.

On the topic of how intrusive ambient music should be, I'll quote Brian Eno:

Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting.

I'll be the first to admit that I've not followed this rule with a lot of tracks I submitted here - that's mainly because I'm not good with melodies, so I constantly try and try again. :P

And to get back on the original topic of this thread: I'm sorry for the loss of momentum, but recently work leaves me pretty much wrecked for the rest of the day. However, I have my tools laid out and got SVN for the sound folder working (thanks greebo) - next thing I'll do is to give comp-music's submissions a proper rehearsal and then commit them. I've also extracted Doom 3's sound files and briefly browsed through them, there are quite a few sounds we can make use of. I'll sort the good ones out and then complete the list of requested/required sounds.

are you Hinting to say the common people can share with the player footsteps?!!!!
Yes. Of course, different sets for each would be a lot better, but there are other sounds that need to be done as well. We can not put in all the little extras until we have the core set of SFX done. You have to bake the cake first before you can put the cherries on top of it. ;)

Edit:

I've never understood what those progressive funk and techno tracks had to do with medieval cathedrals. Music like that simply didn't exist in those days, and doesn't evoke anything for me, expect generic creepiness which would fit any scary movie or game.
This is very subjective, but for me the clash of the breakbeat and synths to the setting mirrored the clash of medieval zeitgeist and victorian/steampunk design and technology.
The only reason you think different, is because they came with the game, you liked the game, so you associate them with a game you liked.
Except if you should happen to have a different taste than oDDity, of course. :D

oDDity, I have to disagree that musical ambience in games is much different from a film score. I would say that viewing a good movie is also an activity for the audience (at the very least for their brains), although games obviously provide a greater level of involvement.

In both cases, musical score a tool to enhance a mood or emotion, used to overcome the distance or separation created by each mediums interface. The same is done visually with lighting or positioning of the camera in movies, and sometimes in games, too. I'm not a modeler, but I would imagine that you use similar tools when you're setting up a scene for a model shot.

It's not a good analogy. Lighting has usually more of a utilatarian purpose, it's usually based on real world lighting situations, but there is no such thing as 'real' music, it's always an artificial intrusion on the real world (unless as I say, the source of the music is apparent and justified)

It's this idea of incorporeal music being used to 'enhance' mood that annoys me. I call it lazy. It's perfectly possible to make a genuinely frightening, disturbing movie with no music. It's the easy way out to add a creepy soundtrack over a movie to evoke cheap atmosphere. It's even worse when it's done in games, it's a completely uninteractive way to create what is supposed to be an interactive experience.

This is very subjective, but for me the clash of the breakbeat and synths to the setting mirrored the clash of medieval zeitgeist and victorian/steampunk design and technology.

So it's not just becasue it's cool, and will be attractive to the sort of geeks who'd be into Thief in the first place?

I suppose you can come up with an intellectual justification for anything if you try, but you know, sometimes (most of the time I'd say) they just throw that stuff in there because they're into it and think it's cool, and then, as I said, like Pavlov's dogs, you make associations with your favourite game when you hear the sound of the ambients, enhanced by the fact that it's deliberately designed to be processed subliminally.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Re: AI footsteps

Yeah, we do want to use the same sounds for AI and player footsteps. The ingame volume of these can be set independent of the player footsteps, so we could make the player's quieter than the AI. However, using the same sound file for both does mean that we should have them recorded at max working volume, so we can have their volume up at "AI level" without distortion.

Re: Ambient music slider

It's not in vanilla D3. It's possible with a mod that basically labels all ambient speakers as ambient and then adds some SDK code to address all of those. This was done already on D3World, and I posted in the Documentation forum describing how to do it.

We still need to support the default ambient music level vs. SFX balance. Just because some people will turn ambient volume down to zero doesn't mean that the default doesn't have to be balanced at all.

Finally, we should really stop debating things that have already been decided ages ago, unless we have some valid point that wasn't raised back then. This just serves to confuse new members.

We still need to support the default ambient music level vs. SFX balance. Just because some people will turn ambient volume down to zero doesn't mean that the default doesn't have to be balanced at all.

It can be easily be balanced by adjusting what the default setting for ambient sounds is. There's no real reason to make footsteps unrealistically loud to balance something that's trivially changeable.

Finally, we should really stop debating things that have already been decided ages ago, unless we have some valid point that wasn't raised back then.This just serves to confuse new members.

good to discuss everything,but the better than get the new good results "Excellent point" Ishtvan

Yikes. There are 20 footstep sounds for the grass steps. That's overkill in my opinion. Dropping it to 4 or 8 would be acceptable.

Strange:Whichever is the best if you have 20 footsteps to choose whatever you like as you see in game OR only 4 or 8?answer plz

Btw:i can make over than 20

Strange:Whichever is the best if you have 20 footsteps to choose whatever you like as you see in game OR only 4 or 8?answer plz

Btw:i can make over than 20

It's very nice to have the choice of which ones to use, so having twenty to choose from is great. :) I was commenting on all twenty of them being uploaded to the mod directory, which is a bit too much. You can keep making twenty, but we'll choose which ones to use. :) I think eight would be nice.

It's very nice to have the choice of which ones to use, so having twenty to choose from is great. :) I was commenting on all twenty of them being uploaded to the mod directory, which is a bit too much. You can keep making twenty, but we'll choose which ones to use. :) I think eight would be nice.

I curious about something are you 1 of the team who will be add these sampels to the game?

I curious about something are you 1 of the team who will be add these sampels to the game?

I'm one of the Mod leads, and part of the sound department. I'm in charge of getting the voice actors into the game. We all take our turns at doing different things on the mod though. I do a lot of tweaking.

I was the one who added the T2X sounds to the game, and I'll likely be doing a good chunk of the tweaking to the footstep sounds. I might not be the one who uploads them to CVS, but you can bet that I'll likely spend quite a few hours adjusting the in game volumes for playability. :)

I guess the short answer would be, yes. :)

I'm one of the Mod leads, and part of the sound department. I'm in charge of getting the voice actors into the game. We all take our turns at doing different things on the mod though. I do a lot of tweaking.

I was the one who added the T2X sounds to the game, and I'll likely be doing a good chunk of the tweaking to the footstep sounds. I might not be the one who uploads them to CVS, but you can bet that I'll likely spend quite a few hours adjusting the in game volumes for playability. :)

I guess the short answer would be, yes. :)

I guess the short answer would be "choose the best and deleted the rest"

but I think eight would be poor from guy can't make 10 or 20.

BTW:ok,good the bj-f here above 3 days and BJ-h too "I will rely on you every time"i upload it sfx or amb

listen and tell me OR ADD to the game :)

BTW:ok,good the bj-f here above 3 days and BJ-h too "I will rely on you every time"i upload it sfx or amb

listen and tell me OR ADD to the game :)

Schatten is taking care of the sound department while Pakmannen is busy. My suggestions were meant for Schatten. :) I wasn't stepping in to take over Schatten's position, I was only suggesting to him that 20 footstep sounds were too many for use in game.

You can make as many footstep sounds as you wish though. :) We will choose the 4 or 8 best of them to use in game.

I'm one of the Mod leads, and part of the sound department.
I was the one who added the T2X sounds to the game

You already Add T2X sounds to the game"i see you fully admire T2X f.s.) why you can't make the same now? the samples here from 10-4 ,13-4 and i waiting the "Schatten" list from 8-4 what's your problem here guys ? i can't make onther sound untill i finished from the old!!!!!!!!

The T2X sounds were added a long time ago.

I think our understaffed sound department doesn't quite have enough time to keep up with your amazingly fast speed. :) This is unfortunate but unavoidable I think.

Why do you need to wait until one set of sounds is in-game before starting on another set? Is it not enough for someone to say "yes, those are good, I'll put them in-game as soon as I can"? Then you know that those sounds are done and you can move on to the next set.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.