The Dark Mod Forums

Welcome Baddcog: Contributor/ Beta Mapper

Baddcog is Schwaa from TTLG. :) You must not have seen the discussion in the public forums.

Yes, I have seen it, but somehow Schwaa sticked in my mind, but Baddcog not. :)

Anyway, baddcog/schwaa applied for contributor status. His past work in the thief community speaks for itself, no introductory period needed. :)

Sounds good.

post-3-1177357699_thumb.jpg

post-3-1177357707_thumb.jpg

I like those. :) Especially the lamp looks very good.

Gerhard

We can probably take down the Dark Mod alpha files now since we have the SVN repository setup for beta mappers. :) They can do daily checkouts for the latest updates.

This is something I've sort of missed I guess. I remember reading something about it. So I should change the page and also the tutorial for the setup, once I figure out what the new SVN way is!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Hey, sorry, my badd. First time I've seen this post. :blush:

Happy to be aboard.I wanted to join up earlier but not having a machine that could run Doom3...

Anywya, just decided to sign up as Baddcog since that was the name I was originally going to go with at TTLG, although I had posted 10-20 already I just stayed with Schwaa. It was a quick, not really thought out name at the time, not that it really matters.

(Baddcog came from hearing the mechanists asking "Is that you good cog?") when they get spooked. More trivial info...

Glad you guys like the lamps, that's my latest to be released T2 object pack. With the help of NV''s scripting they can be slashed/bashed or shot to be broken and 'extinguished'. But water and gas have no effect. When broken they shower sparx and glass.

Unfortunately they probably won't see much use in T2, but I have succesfully got one of them into D3 so far. I had to combine all 3 textures into one, I have also got a 3 tex model almost done but need to comb over more tex info I found at DarkWiki to get the 3 tex model to not be black.

I would like to see them breakable in the Dark Mod also. Still finding info /Dling files on what you guys have/can do. If not breakable that's cool too, maybe later. I know that could possibly cause issues with all the other lamps you guys have so far...

I did read also in the Wiki Technology page about the lights being remote by generators which I think is a pretty cool idea. However it states that antanea are used. I suppose I should add them to the lamps.

The lamps come in street lamp, double street lamp, wall lamp, hanging lamp and I'm getting ready to make a street spot lamp. Times up...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

It might be a good balance:

-Torches require water, this expends a valuable item (water arrow)

-The lamp, surrounded by glass, is extinguished with a regular arrow. Regular arrow is cheaper, but this method makes noise. Then again, it could be extra nasty and require both. :ph34r:

Edit: SH raises a good point below, there'd need to be a clear distinguishing trait.

However it states that antanea are used. I suppose I should add them to the lamps.

The antennae can just look like a simple metal spike, like in T2.

I remember we discussed and decided against electric lights that were able to be broken by regular arrows, but I can't remember exactly why atm.

My only concern is that it might be strange to be able to break some but not others without a clear way to distinguish between them.

I'm excited to see the models though...we're in dire need of more lights. :)

The antennae can just look like a simple metal spike, like in T2.

I remember we discussed and decided against electric lights that were able to be broken by regular arrows, but I can't remember exactly why atm.

My only concern is that it might be strange to be able to break some but not others without a clear way to distinguish between them.

I'm excited to see the models though...we're in dire need of more lights. :)

Well, mine look quite different than the T2 ones as they have clear glass and lightbulbs with electric current. So for T2 that was the main distinction. I was thinking about replacing T2 models, but I'd rather work on DarkMod instead.

So the problem with DarkMod distinctions:

I have yet to figure out transpareor if it even works. So the current lamp I have that works seems to have solid glass, whether or not that will change in game I'm not sure. But it did decrease the polys from 600ish to about 450 since I got rid of 2 sided glass light bulb and parts.

I do have a MAJOR question about lights. Can an object be a light or do you need to place a lightsource near the obj?

And Illumination on textures. I saw selfillum in the ase file, and it says 1.00 (100% in max) but in the editor it doesn't seem to glow.

------------------------------

Springheel or sparhawk,

Can I send one of you an email with a zip file, a few objects for you to examine...

I do have a MAJOR question about lights. Can an object be a light or do you need to place a lightsource near the obj?

An object cannot be a light, but you can attach a light to an object and combine the two into an entity (which is basically just a model that has physical applied to it and thus can move).

the textures are 256x256, but there are 5 all together with speculars, bumps, ect...)

Five textures? I'm used to only 3--the diffuse, the bumpmap and the specular. What are the extra two?

here's a pic of a lantern I ported from my T2 stuff last night

Cool, I've been wanting a model like this for a while. You can certainly email stuff to me if you like, preferably in .lwo format (eric 'at' mindplaces.com ).

An object cannot be a light, but you can attach a light to an object and combine the two into an entity (which is basically just a model that has physical applied to it and thus can move).

Five textures? I'm used to only 3--the diffuse, the bumpmap and the specular. What are the extra two?

Cool, I've been wanting a model like this for a while. You can certainly email stuff to me if you like, preferably in .lwo format (eric 'at' mindplaces.com ).

5- diffuse,specular and bump for lantern. diffuse and specular for glass.

Of course that was only 2 in Dromed, but it helped alot with the small textures (these are all 256)

Also, the glass has an alpha layer for transparency, or did...

Right now they gotta be ASE files. I've looked at Blender a bit, but probably won't use it much, not sure if it even exports lwo.

Unfortunately I just tried importing and ase into Max to look at some texture stuff from D3 obj, can't do it. That really suprised me, can't open with Accutrans either.

The glass in that shot is transparent? It certainly doesn't look like it needs to be. (in D3, transparent glass on small objects is pretty hit and miss in terms of aesthetics--we've been staying away from transparent glass in our lamps and using opaque yellow instead)

The glass in that shot is transparent? It certainly doesn't look like it needs to be. (in D3, transparent glass on small objects is pretty hit and miss in terms of aesthetics)

Unfortunately I can't load .ase files, so I can't really help you with them.

Sorry, kindof posting back and forth between this and another thread. I have all the files set up, if you could just take an in game look for asthetics. I'll resize and whatnot later.

I've been trying to add transparencies but not having luck seeing it in editor or modelviewer. I thought maybe it might show in game? That's an old shot too, I redid the textures last year, after that pic was taken.

The transparent version of that is in my last T2 FM TTLG(Thru the Looking Glass), available at thiefmissions.com.

Right now they gotta be ASE files. I've looked at Blender a bit, but probably won't use it much, not sure if it even exports lwo.

Blender can export LWO, but there is no advantage in doing so since the support for ASE is better. In particular, the requirement to name the LWO material after your material shader is problematic due to Blender's 19-character material name limit.

Blender can export LWO, but there is no advantage in doing so since the support for ASE is better. In particular, the requirement to name the LWO material after your material shader is problematic due to Blender's 19-character material name limit.

Right on, just found an ase importer to, so I should be good there.