The Dark Mod Forums

Treasure Chests...

PinkDot

I found my old_chest model, which I made for my mission in Dromed (that was the last model before joining TDM team :) ). I just improved the texture, added specular and normal maps:

chest_old.jpg

This is for testing chest models ingame. Could anybody look after it? Are there any scripts necesary to get containers working?

What way are they going to work in game? The base of chest as func_static and the lid as moveable? I mean what about the collision mesh for the lid - should it be small like for moveable or not necessarily?

Nice! :wub: This is one I've been itching to have (or maybe even make) but I am still apprehensive about attempting something that animates or has joints or moves or anything like that. Don't know the first step in doing such. :unsure:

I am guessing that would be some kind of prefab maybe, with a door as the lid, with offset from origin of the base (which I'm not even sure is possible...) and the objects inside would either have to spawn/despawn depending on open/closed or have their frobability toggled by that state in script... ugh. :wacko:

Nice! :wub: This is one I've been itching to have (or maybe even make) but I am still apprehensive about attempting something that animates or has joints or moves or anything like that. Don't know the first step in doing such. :unsure:

I am guessing that would be some kind of prefab maybe, with a door as the lid, with offset from origin of the base (which I'm not even sure is possible...) and the objects inside would either have to spawn/despawn depending on open/closed or have their frobability toggled by that state in script... ugh. :wacko:

Would be like setting up a door wouldn't it? Dram setup a rooftop window that opened upward, I would check with him. :)

Looks like you edited while I posted.

I guess I have to put pivot point on the axle that lid is going to rotate around.

I haven't tried rotating/moving entities in Radiant yet... Well, maybe that's time for it..?

Where's Dram, BTW? Anyone knows if he's busy in RL or something...?

That looks great! :)

I think we had planned on making the chests work just like doors, so the top would be a separate model (probably put together in a prefab). What do people prefer for froblighting? Should just the lid frob, or the entire chest?

the objects inside would either have to spawn/despawn depending on open/closed or have their frobability toggled by that state in script.

Why is that? Can you currently frob through other objects?

(eventually we'll want a version with a pickable lock as well, though I think we should wait until the lockpicking system is done before deciding on what the chest locks should look like)

(eventually we'll want a version with a pickable lock as well, though I think we should wait until the lockpicking system is done before deciding on what the chest locks should look like)

That's exactly what I thought as well. This model will be redone after we know how to make working locks.

I think froblighting the lid is better. It wasn't possible in Thief 1/2 cause chest was just one model.

I found my old_chest model, which I made for my mission in Dromed (that was the last model before joining TDM team :) ). I just improved the texture, added specular and normal maps:

That looks cool! :) I always was waiting for stuff like that! And the texture looks really good. :)

This is for testing chest models ingame. Could anybody look after it? Are there any scripts necesary to get containers working?

Nope. No scripts needed.

What way are they going to work in game? The base of chest as func_static and the lid as moveable? I mean what about the collision mesh for the lid - should it be small like for moveable or not necessarily?

Best way would be to keep the lid and the chestbody seperated. Make the lid a door (or I think that it is renamed now to tdmbinarymover) and make sure that the rotating point is in the hing at the backside of it. Doesn't matter where as it only rotates around one axis, it only has to be at the lid's hing axis. You may look in the darkmod.map. Right at the player starting point I have created a chest out of brushes and you can setup yours similar to this only set locked to 0 for testing it.

Gerhard

• 1 month later...

I moved the previous discussion of treasure chests to this thread so it's easier to find.

That's fine, probably better here anyway.

So I have a bit more time...

reading thru the posts quickly, from waht i understand this is the current situation. i figure this is a biggie so we should probably try and pin it down.

Chests will be at least 2 objs, probably 3, maybe 4.

Bottom half, static unmoving. I think best unhighlighteable to frob. Probably one of the biggest complaints of T2 is looking at a fair sized object and the whole thing highlights.

I was making new objects (or remaking- drawers, ect that had opening drawers, instead of old school, unopen props) and I recieved several complaints that the whole obj lit up. I wanted to take advantage of the joint features so that is life eh? The only other option was to do wwhat we will be doing here:

Seperate drawers/doors/lids.

So I vote on only the opening part being frobbable.

Lid, this obviously will rotate, not be jointed. So the question is mostly positioning. As I have yet to do much of anything with editor all I can do is speculate.

We can either, export the lid in its location to the base, which is probably preferable. That way the authors can create a base, click the exact same spot and create the lid and they will be aligned right off the bat.

The issue I see with this is that the rotation (x,y) for the lid will be it's center, (where on the z plane I am not sure). If this is easy enough to change in an entity so it's in the gamesys and the player doesn't have to mess with it fine.

Otherwise it might be best to align the rotation axis with the center of world (x,y and possibly z) instead of having the chest centered (x and y)

Lockbar,

This will obviously be the 3rd piece, which brings me to another question about frob highlight.

Should we have the lock bar highlight instead of lid on locked boxes? obviously you wont unlock the lid.

Or should the lockbox itself highlight, in which case it might need to be seperate from the container giving us"

bottom, lid, lockbox and lock bar? seems complicated. although preferable from a frob highlight standpoint. Less highlight = better.

Also, should lockbars rotate, slide, or both.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The lockbar would be part of the door. The lid in this case. For the lid, the rotation point should be in the back, where the hinges are. If that is satisified, then it should be ok. Currently locks are associated directly to the doors, so they don't highlight independently. I think in case of doors that don't have their locks directly on the door itself, maybe it needs a bit of a modification though. Like dungeon doors where the lock is mounted on the wall beside it.

Gerhard

Also, should lockbars rotate, slide, or both.

We're waiting for our lockpicking system to be finished before we decide exactly what chest locks should look like.

So we actually will export the lock bar with the lid? even if its 'part' of the lockbox on the lower part of chest? (I understand it needs to be associated with the lid, I had supposed it would be an entirely different obj)

Sorry, I have yet to get in game to be able to play with things.

Should we model the hinges? 98% of the time they won't be seen anyway...

If you model the hinges or not depends on your artistic view. :) Exporting the lid along with the chest will not work, because if it is exported in a single model file, then it is considered to be a single entity, even if it consists of multiple models.

Gerhard

The lockbar would be part of the door. The lid in this case.

This is what confused me. Of course we may be thinking of a different type of lockbar.

I was refering to the T2 style, rotating bar that is on the lock which shows the player progress unlocking.

Maybe you are refering to a bar that would look like it is what actually locks the lid down? not a moving piece?

The handle IS the bar. It doesn't matter how the handle looks, because the mechanism is always the same. It's just an implementation detail wether it is a handle or a bar. In T2 you doors with bars (usually dungeon style doors) and normal doors with handles. In the latter case, the handle wriggled - no bar. :)

Gerhard

Should we model the hinges? 98% of the time they won't be seen anyway...

I wouldn't bother modeling hinges in a low-poly model--they could be suggested with normal-maps for the most part.

I wouldn't bother modeling hinges in a low-poly model--they could be suggested with normal-maps for the most part.

Well, I'm still doing things the old way. Modelling the model I want and texturing it. It just seems like an extrodanary waste of time to me to make a low and highpoly model, then only make a texture out of the highpoly and discard it when the texture can just be made in photoshop.

Currently I have a few chests that were already modeled and I just used a few textures to slap on to save resources instead of making a new tex. So the tex doesn't have hinges.

Also,

It just seems like an extrodanary waste of time to me to make a low and highpoly model, then only make a texture out of the highpoly and discard it when the texture can just be made in photoshop.

The normal-maps you can make in photoshop are pretty primitive, and can't compare with a normal taken from a high poly model. It's not necessary for all models, like a chest, but if you look at some of the normal-maps for our more detailed models you'll see how useful they can be.

Whoa, completely missed this thread.

Yeah, you practiacally need only 2 parts to the chest - the lid and the bottom bit. The bottom needs to be a Func_Static and the top needs to be a darkmod door. The lid HAS to have it's origin at the point where it would have it's rotation axis - so basically where it links to the hinges.

If you pop the model up onto svn I can make a quick test map for you :)

Also, I want to put this baby into the mansion too :D