The Dark Mod Forums

Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

Well, I thought this would be the easiest way to discuss stuff I'm working on instead of hijacking everyone elses threads, got quite a bit of stuff in the pipeline.

I'm going to be emailing this stuff to (greebo I think, have to chweck that thread again), if I can spread out the load and email to others it would probably be a good thing.

I can't instal SVN on these computers so...

I also have yet to get in game so I can't take pics to upload to model page. I can however use shots from Max if that's OK.

Here are some more recent objs:

Gauges

bcgaugesqy0.th.jpg

Lockbox (this is on a chest but could be a wall/door model)

bclockni3.th.jpg

Improved Bass, didn't add alot of polys, left F holes the same (didn't want to redo tex)

bcnewbass1aq1.th.jpg

and switches:

bcswitch1ap7.th.jpg

Other finished uploaded items include streetlamps, lantern, ceramic pots, urns, ceramic flinders, keys,

pintree, trees in pots, bushes, bags of gems...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice and useful models! I like gauges and levers. Have you thought about making gauges animated? Animated texture would do, but we could also think about rotating hands' models as well.

I couldn't open bass picture... :(

Very nice and useful models! I like gauges and levers. Have you thought about making gauges animated? Animated texture would do, but we could also think about rotating hands' models as well.

I couldn't open bass picture... :(

hmmm, imageshack was being a little weird when I uploaded.

Actually, there is a seperate needle for each type of gauge. So the gauges have no needle. I figure that can be setup somehow as an entity so the authors can set the rotation,ect... Have one needle twitching in the red and smoke blowing out of nearby machine...whatever.

I just got your mail and will add them soon. In case you didn't know, we also have a model_src repository for all the source work files (max files) so that the models can be re-exported if they need tweaking or bugfixing. So, if you want you can send me the source files too, I'll add them to a /Baddcogg folder on this repository as well. It can also serve as backup.

I just got your mail and will add them soon. In case you didn't know, we also have a model_src repository for all the source work files (max files) so that the models can be re-exported if they need tweaking or bugfixing. So, if you want you can send me the source files too, I'll add them to a /Baddcogg folder on this repository as well. It can also serve as backup.

OK, thanks and I can zip them up too.

Here's a great site of instruments, ect... unfortunately I can't right-click any pics or print screen to get any textures. if someone wants to grab some cool images I'll use em to make some cool gadgets for the inventors.

http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/museum/esim.asp?c=500142

we need one of these

http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/museum/esim.asp?c=412007

Brassgoggles.com has some cool steampunk links too, I can save alot of those webpages though

Does anyone have some cool stainglass for lamps?

Ok, these are the in-game screenshots of baddcog's models. I didn't upload them to SVN yet, because they partly need some fixes, but most of them are awesome:

These are all ok and look good:

baddcoggmodels1zw2.th.jpg

The banners are black, probably a shader problem:

bannerxg7.th.jpg

The streetlamp is awesome. The small yellow lamp has some problems with the normals perhaps? Maybe there is some shader stuff going on (it shows fine in DarkRadiant, but not in-game):

streetlampcq7.th.jpg

The broomstick is completely black (the ASE had wrong material paths in it, which I fixed, but it didn't help, I reckon). The bass and the gauges have shader problems and probably consist of submeshes instead of separate objects, that's why the whole model uses the same texture. The keys are fine, I think.

submeshproblemsgw2.th.jpg

Overall, very nice work and so many models as well. Complete with shadow meshes and most of them are fairly low-poly. Keep it up!

The two pots can be merged using skins, angua is already handling that. There is also a Wiki tutorial regarding skins which you might want to check out, but the current crop will be safe in her hands. :)

Currently, all those are merged in my local repository, I'm gonna upload these as soon as they are fixed.

A lot of these aren't opening for me (damn imageshack), but what I can see looks good. I have a personal bias about how modern the gauges look (how would you feel about using roman numerals, at least?), but I'm sure most mappers will love them. :)

I've looked through your models, they're really cool! :)

I've found some small issues:

• Most of them have submaterials in them with different shaders. That doesn't work in doom3. You have to have a completely seperated mesh for each different texture. (That is why the bass is covered in the golden key texture for example ;) )
  • The map_bump and map_shine thingies won't work in doom3 either
  • When you are using a heightmap as bumpmap you have to put something like
       {
      blend bumpmap
      map   heightmap(models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_gembag_local, 10)
    }

Heightmaps are then converted internally to normalmaps by doom3. The "10" at the end is the depth of the heightmap.

• You have to apply scale and rotation before exporting the models. If you don't, you might get issues with weird lighting. Some model might appear dark even when they should be brightly lit, this might be the case for the banner:
    bannershadowyw3.th.jpg
    but it would also be possible that this is a result from the shadow material.
  • Some models had names of the images themselves in the path instead of the name of the material (for example, the banner in bc_lampbanner01), which didnt work.

Now, please don't be shocked and run off immediately :ph34r: , it took me a LOT of time to figure all that stuff out as well. :)

I've also added skins for the keys, the gauges and all the vase1 stuff, looking great! :wub:

Looking good!

One thing I don't like: The text "Dark Radiant Engineering Guild" on one of the gauges. In my opinion it should be left unlabelled so it can be used regardless of plot. In any case, there is no group in our universe called Dark Radiant, that's just the name of the editor... it strikes me as slightly tacky.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Looking good!

One thing I don't like: The text "Dark Radiant Engineering Guild" on one of the gauges. In my opinion it should be left unlabelled so it can be used regardless of plot. In any case, there is no group in our universe called Dark Radiant, that's just the name of the editor... it strikes me as slightly tacky.

We have the inventors guild & there could be a subgroup of them (like the different guilds in Oblivion had different names) but a group called the Dark Radiant Engineering Guild doesn't work for me <_< How about a gauge with the glass cracked & say it's make by Broken Glass? :laugh::mellow:

We have the inventors guild & there could be a subgroup of them (like the different guilds in Oblivion had different names) but a group called the Dark Radiant Engineering Guild doesn't work for me <_<

Agreed on both counts - subgroups are fine, but Dark Radiant doesn't work for me either. And I'd prefer to keep the asset generic anyway (or at least have a default generic skin).

How about a gauge with the glass cracked & say it's make by Broken Glass? :laugh::mellow:

That doesn't work for me either. I'm just saying let's keep the jokes and in-jokes out of it please. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Agreed on both counts - subgroups are fine, but Dark Radiant doesn't work for me either. And I'd prefer to keep the asset generic anyway (or at least have a default generic skin).

That doesn't work for me either. I'm just saying let's keep the jokes and in-jokes out of it please. :)

Agreed.

Does that mean I have to remove my hidden dopefish? :mellow:

I think a hidden dopefish in a map is acceptable - hidden Easter eggs are a sort of metagame reward for being thorough. :) It's when you start putting jokes on the common in-game assets (which are not in secret areas, but rather are out in the open and used all the time) that it becomes a problem.

Actually I don't like the dopefish either. Why spend so much time making a believable, immersive environment and then intentionally throw something in to wreck it?

Yeah, I thought someone might say that. It can be argued both ways.

Commercial games have had hidden Dopefish references and it hasn't spoiled the game at all, but they were very well hidden, and the games didn't rely on immersiveness nearly as much as Thief-style games do.

Actually I don't like the dopefish either. Why spend so much time making a believable, immersive environment and then intentionally throw something in to wreck it?

It's an easter eg...cmon.....ok look, I'll hide it better ok?

Oh, right - forgot about that one... ;)

That kind of humour is tempting - I know it cause I am inclined to do such things as well in my maps, but it's true that it breaks immersion, so I always fight with these tendencies in my mind :).

Woah, holy cow, crap...

Thanks for posting those pics, I really gotta figure out how to get in game...

I see alot of texture probs there that don't show in the model viewer, what a bummer. My apologies, I thought they were all ready to go.

Oh well, I'm not gonna run off, just have more to figure out I guess.

---------

Let's see, the branch texture on the pine has bark tex.

One of the street lamps is just grey.

gauges, bass ect... I think I exported as one mesh because they were fine in material browser that way. Although I do have an external model viewer by der)ton in which they don't show correctly, guess I'll use that to check.

Ceramic pots, that's the inside tex outside, same prob as others...

The small lantern, I have NO idea why it looks like that. Really odd.

As far as the gauges, I have no prob chaning, making more versions whatever. I've got a photoshop file with about 20 layers going, easy fix.

I was questioning how the Dark Radiant thing would go over :D I thought that was better than Dark Mod though. I just thought they needed a little more detail. Somebody have a better name to put there. I'd like some detail there, doesn't matter what to me.

Whoops, didn't realize I uploaded broom. never did make a shader for that yet.

-----------------

angua,

thanks for the help. the whole material thing has taken a bit for me to get the hang of. I did read that tut (Dled it actually)

for skins and I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong. I think I was close...

Anyway, would you mind emailing the skin and material files for anything you changed, that way I can examine everything closely, it would help alot.

Guess I'll be rexporting alot of stuff.

I also have a question about materials in objects.

Since the shader has the specular and bump info, can I just export using the diffuse, change the ase to use the shader name and the shader will take care of bump and specular? That'll only leave one shader per obj in an ase, less editting smaller file size.

-------------------

Anyway, heres a quick mock-up of my idea for a robot.

About 2 feet tall.

The Lantern Bot

lanternbotzs8.th.jpg

Could be something like a sentinel, except it lights up the player.

The inventors would open top and pour in boiling water, close top and steam would run it for awhile. It would wonder around either following the Ai's or looking for player and following him.

What do you guys think?