Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I didn't test was, wether the plate on the lock also needs to be a movable. I just did it to be sure, because it has to be moved along when the door opens, but can a func_static also be moved when it is bound to a mover? Do you know this? No point in wasting resources to create a mover, if it isn't going to be used.

Gerhard

Yeah, I believe making it a func_static would be fine. If it's bound it should get moved along. The only issue is if it extends out really far and would hit something before the door itself hit something. In that case, the static going ahead of the door [when the door is moving] would probably just clip into anything in the way. Unless Greebo's bound object code addressed that issue, but I think that was only for moveables, not movers.

I am going to redo the size of keyholes on the lock plates on my doors, guess I was thinking that the doors would have lockboxes on them already in the textures.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Inspired by Dram's cave video I thought I'd make something for cave enviroments. (No time to load a cave enviro tonight though so bricks will fdo)

The Glow Crystal

lightcrystalyl1.jpg

I'll have skins for most of my gem textures (SVN'ed) so the crystals can be red, green, purple, ect... The rocks can change too.

Guess it's like a geode that busted open. The crystal in the middle will be moveable. The shader is not yet complete, too much white in it, stole Tels glass shader :)

So the crystal in the middle can be taken, either as loot, item or junk. I think it would be cool as a light also, if the player could take one and 'use' it as a lantern in cave maps without a lantern. either way I imagine them to be a light source first and foremost with loot/light as a bonus.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I just scanned/read through this thread and I just have to say that I'm really impressed with all your work, Baddcog! It seems like you're really in your element here, creating great stuff that looks incredible and not so crazy extremely limited as with Dromed.

I'm brimming with confidence that the mod is in good hands with such as yourself in the vanguard. :D

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Inspired by Dram's cave video I thought I'd make something for cave enviroments. (No time to load a cave enviro tonight though so bricks will fdo)

The Glow Crystal

lightcrystalyl1.jpg

I'll have skins for most of my gem textures (SVN'ed) so the crystals can be red, green, purple, ect... The rocks can change too.

Guess it's like a geode that busted open. The crystal in the middle will be moveable. The shader is not yet complete, too much white in it, stole Tels glass shader :)

So the crystal in the middle can be taken, either as loot, item or junk. I think it would be cool as a light also, if the player could take one and 'use' it as a lantern in cave maps without a lantern. either way I imagine them to be a light source first and foremost with loot/light as a bonus.

Very cool, your models really rock, Badcogg! (no pun intended :)

You can tone the "white-ness" in the shader by modifying the multipliers for the different red/green/blue values. (Come to think of, you can also modify the alpha, I didn't know about this when I made my shader).

My crystal shader "pulses" very slowly, I think this would be good for these crystals, too. It just adds some mysterious element to them self-glowing crystals :) But reading my own comment about alpha, maybe instead of making RGB go from 0.2 to 0.4, one could also just let the alpha channel pulse.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels, just SVN'ed it. the material is in bc_misc, I think I like it have that yellow tint for that texture (crystal), but I'd don't know what all the parameters are, I'll have to mess with them. I would however like to make them glow a bit, but haven't messed with illum yet. Like Dram's pagan orbs. Feel free to tweak it.

Tels, just SVN'ed it. the material is in bc_misc, I think I like it have that yellow tint for that texture (crystal), but I'd don't know what all the parameters are, I'll have to mess with them. I would however like to make them glow a bit, but haven't messed with illum yet. Like Dram's pagan orbs. Feel free to tweak it.

I think the material should be moved to materials/tdm_glass.mtr - misc is really a mess.

(Likewise I noted a few files are not yet LF style line-endings, because they had mixed endings and svn ignored them. Fixed that)

I thought the shader was good documented already :)

So here goes:

// this stage sets up the alpha mask (it doesnt render anything)
	// we use another glass texture for the alpha map, so that the reflection
	// shows more clearly and different from what the alpha map of our glass
	// says, that makes it more interesting :)
	{
			maskcolor
			map makealpha(textures/glass/glass1)
	}
	// now use the alpha mask to add some fake reflections
	{
			blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
			maskalpha
			cubeMap env/gen2
			// tone down the reflection a bit
			red	 Parm0 * 0.2
			green   Parm1 * 0.2
			blue	Parm2 * 0.2
			texgen  reflect
	}

These two stages add a "fake" reflection, that moves when the viewer moves around. It basically adds the "glint" you expect from flat polished surfaces. The "Parm0 * 0.2" makes the reflection less visible. The default is 1, but that creates a way to strong bright reflection glint. Note that for colored surfaces, you should also color the reflection, as a white reflection on a orange crystal looks out of place :)

// add our texture on top
	{
			blend   gl_dst_color, gl_one
			map	 models/darkmod/props/textures/opal_cherry_teardrop.tga
			red	 Parm0 * 0.8
			green   Parm1 * 0.8
			blue	Parm2 * 0.8
	}

This is the actual texture that gives the color. The 0.8 you used means it is not used at it's full intensitiy. Note by tweaking the colors you can also change the color!

Here is what my crystals use instead:

// add our texture and make it "fade" very slowly to add some mystery effect
	{
			blend   add
			map	 textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
			red	 parm0 * (0.2 + 0.1 * sintable[ time * .1 ])
			green   parm1 * (0.2 + 0.1 * sintable[ time * .1 ])
			blue	parm2 * (0.2 + 0.1 * sintable[ time * .1 ])
	}

Basically what it does it takes a base value of 0.2,

It than creates a value that changes over time (time * 0.1 to slow the time change down) which is then used to look up a real modifier value in a sintable.

Since the sintable simple wraps, the fade goes in and out and in an out. The value returned by the sine table is between 0 and 1 (or -1 and +1 I don't know for sure) and it is toned down by multiplying it by 0.1

So we have 0.2 + (some changing value) and we multiply this to RGB, making the texture fading in and out a bit.

As for having "glowing" crystals, my crystals do not cast light themself, I used a light to create a halo/glow effect.

I am not sure if you can put this into the shader itself.

Oh, btw, for the texture, if it is possible, it would be good if your gem can use the same texture as my crystal, but just modified to be orange (by tweaking RGB). That would save one texture, so we save download space, texture memory etc. However, since your crystal is very small, it can use a very small texture and if my milky_crystal doesn't work for you, just use your own texture.

Btw, my milky_crystal texture is white so you can use the same texture in multiple shaders and tweak the colors, it would even be possible to use ShaderParm7, ShaderParm8 and ShaderParm9 (or similiar) so the user could set the color in the editor via these. If you use an already colored texture, the color cannot be tweaked as much :)

I hope this makes it clear, if there are more questions, just ask :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I haven't tried these yet, but I'd definitely like to echo this:

Btw, my milky_crystal texture is white so you can use the same texture in multiple shaders and tweak the colors, it would even be possible to use ShaderParm7, ShaderParm8 and ShaderParm9 (or similiar) so the user could set the color in the editor via these.

That would rule! To be able not only to pick whatever color you want, but also to match it exactly to the light used with it, would be fantastic.

I messed with it a bit last night. It actually does 'glow' or is at least illuminated when I throw it inot dark shadows. Havne't attached a light source yet though.

Not really a waste of tex space though as I have uploaded several gem textures (6 in all), red, green, purple, ect...They are small textures and I will be using them on all my gemmed loot objects. So the crystal will have several skins, easy enough for the player to pick green crystals if they want.

Of course a white tex could also be used as an alternative skin that can be tweaked by authors. I have tried that tweak and am not too fond of it yet. If you add that color blend the alpha channel won't work (no alpha in these but...)

I actually think that nature_stone.mtr is the best place for this shader as it matches the models path (will be easier to find later, I'd never have looked under glass for it)

Currently it's in BC_Misc.mtr because that's my test file. I try to get thing working there first, once I'm happy it will be moved. bc_misc.mtr will not be released with Darkmod.

I messed with it a bit last night. It actually does 'glow' or is at least illuminated when I throw it inot dark shadows. Havne't attached a light source yet though.

Apart from having the gem catching whatever light you point at it, you can also make the gem glow, and only the gem by:

* setting a spektrum parameter on the material, like "spektrum 17" (the number is arbitrary)

* making a light and setting the same spektrum on it. Anything that has the same spektrum number will be hit by that light, anything else will not.

Otherwise, look at my crystal testlevel, the crystals simple have a small lightsource inside them, and as the textures are half transparent, they "glow" from the inside.

Not really a waste of tex space though as I have uploaded several gem textures (6 in all), red, green, purple, ect...They are small textures and I will be using them on all my gemmed loot objects. So the crystal will have several skins, easy enough for the player to pick green crystals if they want.

What I meant was that you need only one basic material and can tweak it a lot by the shader. The mapper can still pickthe color he wants, but every material uses only one texture, so saving the texture memory.

Of course, this is only relevant if the textures are big. 1024x1024 is big, but a 32x32 pixel texture isn't big. You can have over thousand (1024 exactly) textures of the size 32x32 for the cost of one texture of the size 1024x1024 :)

Of course a white tex could also be used as an alternative skin that can be tweaked by authors. I have tried that tweak and am not too fond of it yet. If you add that color blend the alpha channel won't work (no alpha in these but...)

Apart from "red", "green" and "blue" there is also "alpha". So the alpha channel should definitely work.

(In fact I was musing that instead of multiplying rgb with some value, one could also just multiply the alpha channel with the same value, provided it is the same value for R, G and B.)

I actually think that nature_stone.mtr is the best place for this shader as it matches the models path (will be easier to find later, I'd never have looked under glass for it)

I just wanted all translucent materials in one place, but I can see that crystals could go under "stone" as the name "gemstone" suggests :)

Currently it's in BC_Misc.mtr because that's my test file. I try to get thing working there first, once I'm happy it will be moved. bc_misc.mtr will not be released with Darkmod.

Ah ok, But I still think that a bit of cleaning couldn't hurt :)

I haven't tried these yet, but I'd definitely like to echo this:

That would rule! To be able not only to pick whatever color you want, but also to match it exactly to the light used with it, would be fantastic.

It is easy to add another factor in multipling the RGB with whatever the mapper specifies, the problems I faced:

* we do not seem to have a shaderParm list yet and my question about this wasn't answer AFAIK. We need to make up our minds which numbers we use for what as there are only about 15.

* when the material uses "red parm0 * shaderParm7", and shaderParm7 is not set in the editor, it results in a black material or in other words this forces shaderParm7, 8 and 9 to be set everytime you have that material. It would be better if these defaulted to 1 instead of 0, and maybe it can even be done in the shader but I haven't tried.

I'l toy around with it more :)

@Tels, maybe you should start a thread on shaders/params. You seem to understand them as well as anyone and better than most (I basically copy/paste and quick edit any materials I use).

I do think it's helpful that you put comments in the .mtr files. This will be great for future modders. But perhaps a page on the Wiki that goes into more detail about all of our options.

Currently this is one of the things that kindof kicks my @$$ modelling for the mod. Most of my mtr's are fairly basic. If I want something like a good crystal or glowing doohicky I gotta search for something that you, PinkDot or Dram has made. That's OK too, but the material shaders seem to double the time it takes for me to get a model in game. A big reason I've tried to keep things simple so far. Alot of my materials could be added to to improve them, for now I'm getting stuff working, later tweaks can be made when there is time or someone feels something needs it.

Arghhh, then there are def files.... Got alot of models I need to turn into moveables/loot,ect... what a pain.

Oh yeah, AF files...

Anyway, this the flower rgb test, maybe you can point out the problem. They probably don't need the frob info as it is just a patch of flowers.

But in the diffuse color I thought the last value was alpha (0.2). I just tried with 1 but still smae effect, entire tex is shown giving me green squares, not green flowers. They are under nature/flower/bc_yel_patch/green_flower_1

//flower rgb value test

bc_flower_green
{

surftype15
description "foliage"
qer_editorimage models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_yel_flower
nonsolid
twosided 
noshadows
noSelfShadow

{
 blend diffuseMap
 map models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_yel_flower
 color 0, 0.8, 0.1, 0.2

}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_yel_flower
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

@Tels, maybe you should start a thread on shaders/params. You seem to understand them as well as anyone and better than most (I basically copy/paste and quick edit any materials I use).

I intended to add stuff to the wiki, but my old mill and her roof kept me busy :)

Plus, I actually hope omeone understands more about shaders than me lol

I will look at your flowers later, I am busy atm. sorry :)

//flower rgb value test

bc_flower_green
{

surftype15
description "foliage"
qer_editorimage models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_yel_flower
nonsolid
twosided 
noshadows
noSelfShadow

{
 blend diffuseMap
 map models\darkmod\props\textures\bc_yel_flower
 color 0, 0.8, 0.1, 0.2

}
}

I think you need either a "colored" keyword or:

red parm0 * 0

green parm1 * 0.8

blue parm2 * 0.1

in there. Basically, something that tells the shader that you want the diffusemap blended on top of what is already on the screen.

But I need to test this, I don't know for sure. (I am a shader newbie too :)

I think you need either a "colored" keyword or:

red parm0 * 0

green parm1 * 0.8

blue parm2 * 0.1

in there.

Color keyword is fine. Colored is used only if you want to control RGB and alpha from the editor/game through shader parametres.

Baddcog - last parametr does change the alpha indeed but there's nothing telling the renderer to actually use alpha. I think there's word translucent missing at the first part of the shader. But I'm not an expert either...

Color keyword is fine. Colored is used only if you want to control RGB and alpha from the editor/game through shader parametres.

Baddcog - last parametr does change the alpha indeed but there's nothing telling the renderer to actually use alpha. I think there's word translucent missing at the first part of the shader. But I'm not an expert either...

Yeah that might be it.

--EDIT--

Nope, added that and they became somewhat transparent squares of green, hard to even see the flower texture.

Does "colored" define with shaderparams are used in the editor, then? The shader documentation isn't really that good as far as I can see...

Yeah that might be it.

--EDIT--

Nope, added that and they became somewhat transparent squares of green, hard to even see the flower texture.

Well, you have red * 0, meaning there is no red whatsoever. But could you post a screenshot of what you mean?

alphatest 0.5

I added that right after the diffuseMap line.

I understand better now :D

Dromed also had something similar.

alphatest (not sure what different values do) uses the alpha channel.

translucent doesn't need alpha channel, it makes entire material transparent.

translucent means : lets light pass thru but is not transparent (obviously the shader works wrong because it makes the material transparent)

-

I used 0 red because I am testing with flourescent green. just a color test to see if it worked but I ran into the bug awhile back and couldn't figure it out, project stalled.

Anyway, It's gonna take a bit of time to get the best colors but I'll probably do the flowers this way and get rid of the colored tga's

washboard and tub. needs resized, board isn't moveable yet. author can create water patch eh?

Sweeet!

Just a quick request, can somebody make more boots and shoes? We only have one big boot model atm, but I imagined some line up of shoes (old shoes, worn shoes, etc)

Plus, you could just chop up the shoes from the current AI and make them seperate models :)

(Without the legs sticking in them, please :D