The Dark Mod Forums

Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

There is really no need to always quote a complete image, especially when it is directly form the previous posting.

Yes, I know, but I missed it before posting.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

scalesgg3.jpg

some scales. WIP. No strings attached. That's the last bit of work for me this weekend.

I'm thining this is one of those items that will need an af set-up. The player shouldn't have to pick it up or frob it. It would be 4 bones.

I think it might actually be useable to weigh items against others (for fun if nothing else) with a proper af set-up.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Cool! Would be great to have it working. (a bit bigger I suppose could be better for easier placing items on plates, especially when you do strings). I can see some interesting gameplay possibilities with working scales.

It might be possible, but keep in mind D3 doesn't really calculate weight forces, it just fakes all physics with collisions. So it probably won't actually work to weigh something against another thing, but it would go up/down if you slammed something into it.

Yeah I think 4 bodies is about right, 1 for the base, 1 for the arm, and 2 for each plate. Then you'd have a hinge constraint between arm & base, and maybe fixed constrainst between arm and plates, although they could be ball-and-socket also if you wanted to simulate the plates being connected by a chain or something.

Did some work on my streetlamp. Added a fancier trim for the glass. It's an alpha layer so it can be reskinned seperate from glass.

Got rid of poles bump map, replaced with normal map. Not done but better I think.

Tried the shadow mesh I was talking about in some other thread, that little triangle on the wall is from another nearby lightsource. Could be smaller but will still be a splinter, still it gives a good shadow for pole and above lamp like we were discussing.

streetlampnewns7.jpg

compared to old:

--EDIT

no pics but updated gembag. deleted bag_diamonds. made skins:

now we have:

mixed gem

diamonds

emeralds

opals

gems

amethyst

brushmirroruz2.jpg

mirror and brush.minor touch-up left. Trying to get a good cubemap reflection on the mirrror, might just give it higher spec. end of bristles needs tiled yet.

Was thinking of making a new folder in Models, don't think I should put them in tools/household, doesn't seem right.

I'm not totally sure what the thing on the left is...is that the back of the mirror?

As for folders, you're right that they don't seem to fit under household tools. What did you have in mind?

brush has some obvious texture tiling on the top of the hair.

if you want to make it really *cool* you can add some alpha mapped layer around the hair to make some loose, single hair. but on the other hand - some models don't need hours of spending on them... it looks OK like it is. (except for that tiling, I mean).

I think something like 'personals' or 'personal_items' might be best.

On the left is the back of mirror and brush, I have a comb on the tex too, just gotta make it.

Yeah, that tex needs fixed, it's on my broom model too. At first I wasn't sure about yellow bristles but once I saw it I thought it was OK.

I do have a matching alpha but wasn't sure how I wanted the brush to look, might try another way before it's done.

I think something like 'personals' or 'personal_items' might be best.

I'm not sure that's intuitive enough. I'd assume I'd find personal items of the *player* (player equipment, basically). I don't have any brilliant ideas though.

I'm not sure that's intuitive enough. I'd assume I'd find personal items of the *player* (player equipment, basically). I don't have any brilliant ideas though.

"make-up"? "toilet tools"? "beauty case"? " Or going with "kitched": "bathroom"?

Or "Girls only"? Just kidding :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Well, there is a player items folder. To me personal items suggest things belonging to persons. Persons of course would be AI as the player is refered to as the player. That's what I think anyway.

maybe:

decorative>personal items.

there aren't any player items in decorative, I wouldn't look the for them. It would suggest for decor, again ruling out the player.

also in that folder is games and vases. both things found around a house.

Well, there is a player items folder. To me personal items suggest things belonging to persons. Persons of course would be AI as the player is refered to as the player. That's what I think anyway.

maybe:

decorative>personal items.

there aren't any player items in decorative, I wouldn't look the for them. It would suggest for decor, again ruling out the player.

also in that folder is games and vases. both things found around a house.

That makes sense to me (to put them under decorative -> personal items)

Btw, can you please also make a more coarse square (8x8) and rectangular (maybe 20x6?) brush with maybe only a few bristles? :)

"Cosmetics"?

Hmm, maybe that only really applies to substances though - lipstick etc.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 3 weeks later...

Added an hourglass. Currently I'm not real happy with the glass. Used tels shader. Pretty good but too much distortion, sand looks weird.

So it's a slight wip.

Also, not collision model yet. This was one of my later T2 models, somewhere around 800 polys. Kindof a special item so I think the polys are fine, doom can handle it. I had it rigged for T2 so player could frob and turn it over. sand would move back and forth and particles would turn on.

Never got it completely fine tuned, the beast that Dromed is.

Of course Doom is a beast in it's own right and the simple way of animating in T2 isn't available in Doom.

Being what it is I think we have 2 choices and I'd like to hear what you all think. Haven't gotten any comments on my last 10 objects so not sure I'll get any here either...

The choices are:

1-a static hourglass that can't be moved. Again we run into the issue I have with my octopus specimen. If it can be moved then the sand needs to move. So option 1 is it can't be moved, sand is run out and in the bottom. Good decor but can't be used. Same as globe.

Of course that was a problem with the octopus cause alot of us don't want stationary objects.

2-animating it and or having an AF for it.

If animated the player could frob, it would flip over and the sand would run. Probably a long anim if the sand is to run out at some point. Or timed particle sand...

If an AF file then the sand could flop back and forth as the player moves it. Not sure how this would work with particles though, probably not good so it still might be a little odd.

There's a pic in the model website, decorative...

Added an hourglass. Currently I'm not real happy with the glass. Used tels shader. Pretty good but too much distortion, sand looks weird.

So it's a slight wip.

Eventually, I hope we can do a better distortion shader - but I haven't looked at these yet.

As for animated, I am torn. Having it fully animated would be cool.

Albeit 800 polys is _quite_ high. The same with one of the ropes, it adds 2600 or so polies for not much added visual effect. I hope we can have these "small" models have a few less polys :)

Btw: love your models :)

Being what it is I think we have 2 choices and I'd like to hear what you all think.

While it would certainly be 'neat', I think the effort it would take to make the hourglass 'work' is probably better spent on other things at the moment. I can't think of any easy way to use animated textures or particle effects.

edit: just looked at the model. It looks good, though the glass is too transparent atm. I wouldn't suggest having some of the sand in the top...then it *definitely* looks odd that it isn't moving. At least if it's at the bottom it looks natural until someone moves it.

Yeah the hourglass is somewhat wip due to shaders touch up a whatever the concensus is on animating sand.

I agree the glass is too trans and the warp is too much. I think it needs to be right between my gauge glass and this glass...later though

I really don't mind having some fixed props but I know this was discussed with the specimens. It's gonna look like shit if the player can pick it up and throw it and the sand stays.

On the other hand, is it really necessary for the player to move it? I'm sure there will be many other moveable props in the room that can be thrown for distraction if that is the argument.

Anyway, added new streetlamp. Trying to build up some mage type resources too

http://www.tjoff.com/jens/darkmod/gallery/...amp;imageID=514

(pretty much a quick hack of my sphere wall light and streetlamp base but i think it works pretty good.)

Hmm, an hourglass could use much the same code as a "pourable moveable" class that we discussed adding in the future. Basically, a bucket of water would know when it was not right-side-up, pour out a water particle effect (with a water stim falling down from it for extra credit), and then adjust its model to look like the water level in the bucket decreased. The hourglass would have to to do two of these things: Know when it's right-side up, and adjust the sand model inside to pour from one side to the other based on orientation. It's sealed so we wouldn't have to worry about a particle effect exiting it, but other than that it would be pretty much the same code as a pourable-moveable.

I'm not sure we'll be able to work on it before a 1.0 release, there's still a lot of core stuff that has to be done first. This is more of a "bells & whistles" type thing. If we had more programmers we could do all these things, but we don't seem to be getting any more lately.

That's perfectly fine. I just think it's cool that stuff like this could actually be possible one day. There are actually a few things I learned about S&R that I would like to do myself for Darkmod, that stuff will probably wait for awhile too, but I'm glad we have the S&R set-up so alot of stuff I learned in my later Dromed days can be applied at some point.

Chest 2 and lid now have collision and shadow meshes.

chest2 was about 800 polys so now that shadow mesh is about 200.

lockbox2 has been updated, lower poly, local map, shadow/collision, keyhole resized to key size (approx)

lockbox2 has been added to chest3

I'm not adding collision/shadow to chest3 as it's already very low poly