The Dark Mod Forums

Baddcog's Models

Baddcog

post-1981-1225556307_thumb.jpg

A start on the window frames. This one is just big enough for the plaer to climb through. An open vers and glass vers. I plan for the glass to NOT be breakable. No reason other than player crawling through. The open vers will have a matching openeable glass window. Possibly a shutter vers.

Also size variations will come, wider, taller, smaller.

All skinnable.

-----------

Not sure about blocking views though. If a player cuts a hole in a wall and uses an opaque glass will that block vis for rendering? Would they need to place a visportal (enough room between glass panes), or do they need to leave some world spawn there (in which case I need to make another model for that.)

Or can I put an additional plane inbetween the glass pieces that can be skinned with a vis blocking tex (which one?) that could be skinned as no draw, or even a base color to give authers a (semi opaque glass for realism) due to one players complaint at TTLG that the windows didn't have enough 'depth' like HL2 has.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-1981-1225556307_thumb.jpg

A start on the window frames. This one is just big enough for the plaer to climb through. An open vers and glass vers. I plan for the glass to NOT be breakable. No reason other than player crawling through. The open vers will have a matching openeable glass window. Possibly a shutter vers.

Also size variations will come, wider, taller, smaller.

All skinnable.

-----------

Not sure about blocking views though. If a player cuts a hole in a wall and uses an opaque glass will that block vis for rendering? Would they need to place a visportal (enough room between glass panes), or do they need to leave some world spawn there (in which case I need to make another model for that.)

Or can I put an additional plane inbetween the glass pieces that can be skinned with a vis blocking tex (which one?) that could be skinned as no draw, or even a base color to give authers a (semi opaque glass for realism) due to one players complaint at TTLG that the windows didn't have enough 'depth' like HL2 has.

Very very nice, and I see you did choose a nice wall texture, too :)

I would opt for the "plane" in between that can be skinned but I have no experience with that. Wouldn't it be better than to have the frame and the glass+frame as sep. entities that can be matched together?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Dayum, that's a serious window frame. :wub:

A cut in the wall would need a portal of course, but I'm not sure whether it would block vis if the texture is opaque. We had some discussion starting about this for glass doors recently:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1184

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=164609

Btw, that reminds me: A visportal needs to touch worldspawn to work, right? However, would it be possible to build the visportal right into the model, so when it is inserted in the map, it is "ready-to-go"?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Btw, that reminds me: A visportal needs to touch worldspawn to work, right? However, would it be possible to build the visportal right into the model, so when it is inserted in the map, it is "ready-to-go"?

It seems unlikely to me; visportals are calculated during map compilation where model geometry is not taken into account.

However, there is an "inline" key available which causes the map compiler to make the model geometry part of the map, so one couldn't rule it out without testing.

Does caulk count as worldspawn?

Prehaps you could make a caulk frame within it, for visportaling?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

It seems unlikely to me; visportals are calculated during map compilation where model geometry is not taken into account.

However, there is an "inline" key available which causes the map compiler to make the model geometry part of the map, so one couldn't rule it out without testing.

But what if a model has a tris that as "visportal" as texture? Would that be get completely ignored?

@Baddcog: do you accept a model request? I'm currently in need of a mechanical lever (we have one in SVN but it's so small). Something like this:

http://www.grax.org/targa/images/ratchet.jpg

It doesn't have to be very detailed. Something like the large ones with the red head which the hammerites are using in Cragscleft.

Let me know if you have time, otherwise I'm going to pull something out of my own sleeve.

Sure, I've been meaning to do more mechanical stuff. Some stuff in progress.

I actually already have something similar for T2.

http://thiefmissions.com/lpg/

(the format of the page doesn't let me link to the Schwaa page

It's the first object listed if you wanna look. I actually made it so the gears in the base rotate. I think it should be similar in DM. But I can make a plain one sans gears also.

Maybe a handle, then a few bases (one with gears(a good reason for md5 anim testing-turn on/off with lever), one without).

Baddcog, those doorframes are a godsend. :) If you have extra time I'd love to see a slightly smaller, less imposing version as well. Also I notice there is a bit of a gap on the existing model:

post-9-1226017472_thumb.jpg

thanks.

Yeah, it'll be easy enough to make something less imposing. Perhaps just 3 boards, just to fill in between the world spawn and door is what you are thinking?

Thanks for ponting out that gap, I hadn't noticed it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Haven't opened Max for months but was thinking of an alarm type thing so figured I'd whip it out (if 3-4 hours is whipping it out).

Looks better in game but I can't get a screenshot to take sad.gif

alarm_Steam_Whistle.jpg

commited to svn.

750 polys, 250 poly shadow, 120 poly collision. one 128x256 normal and tga tex.

Planning on making a small lever for mid-pipe, that's the turn on. But as is you can place a rotating lever with brass skin there and it looks alright.

The idea is that a startled AI would turn the lever, allowing steam to flow from the tank to the whistle. At which point steam would blow out of the top and the steam bot whistle would sound.

Player could shut it down by flipping that lever closed.

If anyone can help set up an entity that works it would be appreciated.

(and of course there should be a boiler/pipe connection somewhere in the building.)

I think we already have a rotating wheel 'lever' entity which would probably work as is just by adding this model

BTW I think we have on bugtracker a request for an easy method of alerting AI. One approach would be a sound since they already react to propagated sounds. You recall in Thief there was a siren that triggered alerts and I think a silent one. So all this would work fine with this model.

Or has the little steam bot already got an alert whistle? In which case even better. I've not had time to look at that for a couple of years.

Yeah, I think it was greebo that set up the lantern bot def. And should have a whistle and everything working, I never had it blow steam from the whistle though, he just had steam puffs from the stack. I suppose there's probably already a blowing steam particle, maybe just needs changed to turn on/off, resized?.

My time with Radiant has been so off/on that everytime I start working on stuff it's almost like starting over. That's why I aksed for help setting that stuff up, probably take someone else a fraction of the time. If not I MAY get around to it...

And yeah, a wheel would work fine too. (they could probably use some brass skins at some point too.)

----------

Found a pic at work a few days ago with a few items on it I had been planning on making for quite awhile.

Got one done as no tex work is needed smile.gif and might get the other today.

For mad scientist doctor types, plus we need more lab stuff.

Syringe.jpg

400+ polys, 200 shadow (a little high but it's a specialty item and I wanted it to look good) collision model, def

Also realized I had never svn'ed my mortar and pestle. They can have skins but don't yet. Only the pestle is moveable, so it can be dropped into the mortar, possible an objective to crush some herbs? make a potion?

----------

edit

went ahead and bumped this out too

blowtorch.jpg

I'm thinking I might want to scale the torch up a bit, maybe 25%. Might be better if it's a bit more substantial.

Also, think I'll be changing the material for the brass, maybe same base but that 'gold01' has got a mirror shine on it. Might just need to tweak that spec map a bit. (that's not the spec I was working on btw, I'll try and get those added soon too)