Dram

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

For future reference, here's Oddity's animated gif of the original bow animation:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=15050

I would love to do some animation on the horse and the bow, but for some screwed reason 3DS Max is not working no matter what I do, always wants me to register.

I have to reinstall windows very soon anyways, so I'll install 3DS Max afterwards.

Same here. The main part of the bow doesn't appear to have the proper 'm' shape, though--at least as far as I can tell.

The only thing I don't like about the bow is the positioning of the bow and arrow when fully drawn as it blocks what you're shooting at, and the bow blocks too much of the view. I was wondering if it was possible to have a cross hair for just the bow??

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

You can learn to aim sans crosshair. The arrow's position on-screen is fairly close to the point that it will hit, so it is possible (and quite easy in my experience, once you get the hang of it) to aim quite well.

Just takes a bit of practice. What, did you expect to be able to shoot like Robin Hood with any training at all? ;)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The only thing I don't like about the bow is the positioning of the bow and arrow when fully drawn as it blocks what you're shooting at, and the bow blocks too much of the view. I was wondering if it was possible to have a cross hair for just the bow??

There is also the upright T2-style bow available as well if you want it, which is easy to aim with, but is upright and has the aimer similar to T2.

• 1 year later...
I'm currently working a lot on the map, so I work on the anims only a bit in the leftover time, but this should be done by about saturday or sunday this week.

Dram, is this something that you finished/almost finished and forgot about? If it's sitting around somewhere nearly finished it would be worth a look. We might even be able to get some of our animators to check it out.

As far as I am aware, we did not need new bow animations? I still have my upright T1/2 bow on my local copy - complete with the bow sight (which is not wanted by most I know). I can upload it somewhere if you wish.

As for a slightly angled version, might be possible to adjust the anims, but I doubt I'll get much time in the next few weeks to be fiddling with it again.

If someone else wishes to angle it then I can upload it.

The anims I spent a lot of time on to be pretty much like T1/2 bow, so all it really requires is angling it.

If you didn't work on them further, that's fine. I just thought they might have been partially done and forgotten about.

I know some of our animators were looking for things to do...if that's still the case, we've been wanting to have a new bow animation similar to the one in this animated gif:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...ost&p=15050

Basically, something that angles the bow like this:

bowangle2.jpg

This change is meant to make sure the hand/bow does not block the player's ability to aim far away (in the example above, the arrow would hit the blue dot). It also ensures that the arrow is pointing towards where it will hit (to make it easier to aim).

It may simply be a matter of moving/angling the existing fire animation, I don't know.

Hmm, that angle will still cause problems with aiming imo. Imagine that there is a guard you wish to aim at with a gas arrow (rare and expensive arrows), and he is positioned behind the left fist. It would be difficult to track him correctly with the fist there.

Well in any case, I can provide my animations if desired, those can be adjusted to be angled ala T3 or whatever we are going by. I animated to be like T1/2, so only an angle change is needed really. I can try to pull it off myself, though I remember fiddling around with it before was a pain.

Even in my upright bow anims, as the arrow leaves the bow I make it move to the center of the aimer to make it work like in T1/2, and you don't notice it leaving from there either. This might be a good idea to do for the angled anims as well.

Anyway, I will upload my anims to SVN but under a subfolder /upright. In that I will place my upright bow + the bow with aimer. You can take a look at it.

Hmm, that angle will still cause problems with aiming imo. Imagine that there is a guard you wish to aim at with a gas arrow (rare and expensive arrows), and he is positioned behind the left fist. It would be difficult to track him correctly with the fist there.

That problem already exists, as your hand starts out very close to the center of the screen already.

In the example above, the problem is significantly reduced. Your hand is significantly lower than the 'target' (the blue dot). You would have to be lobbing the arrow really far to have to raise the hand high enough to block the target.

Anyway, I will upload my anims to SVN but under a subfolder /upright. In that I will place my upright bow + the bow with aimer. You can take a look at it.

Are these any different than the ones discussed here? http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=112160

That problem already exists, as your hand starts out very close to the center of the screen already.

In the example above, the problem is significantly reduced. Your hand is significantly lower than the 'target' (the blue dot). You would have to be lobbing the arrow really far to have to raise the hand high enough to block the target.

Oh right. Admittedly I have been using my upright bow + aimer for a very long time now, so I have not seen the problem for a long time now :) I'll take a look at it most likely tomorrow.

A prototype mission and city plus writing documentation on the ArmA 2 system of objectives, and also testing have prevented me from looking into this much. I doubt tonight I'll get a chance but tomorrow evening I hopefully will.