The Dark Mod Forums

Progress Page

brethren

Hello...

The mod looks great so far (just wanted to say that first). My question is, have you guys considered putting up a progress page, that shows a kind of a checklist of what items are done, what items you are working on, and what items are in need of help, etc? My initial thought is that this may help recruit new members to the team if someone casually browsing notices something they can help with. I realize there are downsides to this too, such as fans nagging about how far to release you are, and so on.

I love reading things like "Stim/Response is complete" or "We have working water" from the main page, but it also sometimes makes me wonder, what's left to do?

Either way, keep up the great work. B)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been suggested before. The biggest problem is, it would take some serious effort to maintain and keep it up to date, since things change on a daily basis. I'd rather see that time and effort go into actually working on mod stuff. Besides that, much of it wouldn't be very interesting to read.

For example, here's a bit from our "improve existing systems" list from the programming departmemt:

Soundprop Gen 3 ( WIP Ishtvan )

- Propagation flags (optimizations for extremely loud sounds, etc.)

- Embedding a stim in a propagated sound

- Environmental sounds and sound masking

Arrows

- Rope Arrow: rope deployment (idChain?)

- Moss Arrow: needs to spawn moss models

- Vine Arrow: Deploy vine texture on geometry near impact

Object Manipulation ( WIP LLoyd/Ishtvan )

- Put item into inventory from hands

- Hold objects at a point other than right in front of you (e.g., candle held slightly down)

- Detect Stuck Items

- Initially immobilize the player (view and movement) in directions away from stuck items

- After a time, if the player is still moving away and the object is still stuck, auto-drop it

Inventory ( WIP Sparhawk )

- Persistent item option (allow an item to stay between missions)

- Hotkeys

- Trigger Objectives When Dropped

- "Use item" key: operate on inventory items, and also operate on things in the hands, e.g. shoulder KO'd AI.

My initial thought is that this may help recruit new members to the team if someone casually browsing notices something they can help with.

Basically, a project like this can never have enough people to help. The only thing you need is time and willingness and ability to learn something new and there is a good chance you'll be able to contribute.

What Springheel just posted is pretty interesting to me to read, though. It wouldn't hurt to maybe quote some selective posts from the internal forums, like even just bullet point "I did this this week" sort of posts, here just to give a flavor of some of the inner workings of progress. It doesn't have to be so formal or regular, but it's nice on occasion. I don't think it's such a big deal though; the normal updates have been fine for what they are.

I do hope, though, that you'll archive the development discussions after release, though, for posterity's sake, because I think it would be pretty cool to look into the reasoning or genesis of some of the mechanics after it gets released (even if it isn't such a good idea before release).

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Fair enough. :) Here's some from the art department:

Address combat overlays (claw scratches should probably be removed)

Improve candle flame particle (flicker needs to be increased) -- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...hl=candle+flame

Improve candle texture

Make sure broken arrows don't spawn on chainmail impacts

Implement Death Arrow feature

Switch to attached weapon system -- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=4369

Fix Player Bow animation -- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=4966

Address player reflection in water (can it be removed?)

Update individual weapon attachment values -- http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.p...for_Specific_AI

Fix mass and orientation for props

Update individual look values for AI -- http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...amp;&do=findComment&comment=97254

Stop swords from falling out of sheaths when killed/KOd

The Death Arrow is cool, but I prefer the semi-automatic rifle.

Eat lead, Builder scum!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, if someone would write a webform and database for it the coders could update it with a checkbox on an item and their name. 2 seconds max. You could have prizes of money and women to the person who completed the most tasks each week.

I guess you'd need to keep people from abusing it too, so only a few people could add tasks. Anyone who posts things complete that aren't gets a flogging, And I guess we should make the person who completed the least get a flogging or two also (hey, workd for Egypt with those big triangle thingys) :D

Nah, I mean the rifle... the one you get when you kill the drug dealer who's immune to everything except the alien virus which is carried by the headcrab you get from the Strogg planet.

The blunderbuss is good too though.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, no one's really had any outdoors scenes yet, so I tried to design some maps on photos:

I chose "The Forest Goes On":

The%20Forest%20Goes%20On.jpg

& here's my effort to capture that photo:

forest_goes_on_tdm.jpg

& here's Belknap Springs in Oregon:

belknap_springs_photo.jpg

& here's the screenshot:

belknap_springs_tdm.jpg

I so far turned the Belknap map into a nighttime map, the water looks better, added some torches, & I'll probably expand on it when I have the time . . .

• 1 month later...

Fantastic progress guys (and girls if there are any on the team!) I came here to find everything has changed. I had to re-reg. again. Oh well. I noticed a sample progress scratch list. On that list, there was "flags" for sound/environment triggers. Please tell me, that you guys are creating an audio environment that will shock the hell out of me!!! Build it up for X-fi if you could. It all goes back to what reminds me about Thief 3 and "The Craddle" episode. Walking up the stairs was a scary thing. I am hoping for a lot more audio trickery. That was a fantasic trick they did for #3. Need more of that. Nothing like running around in a haunted insane assylum! AWSOME!!! Also, is the voice of "Garrett" going to return? I miss that guy. His concious haunts the game in a very personal way. Please find some way for his return. Looking forward to this.......................

The voice for the FMs was done by lonestar as far as I remember. We don't have Garrett here, so his voice is not needed. When Bell Sound Laboratories is going to release that technology, and we can't count on it being soon as they've been working on it for decades, then anyone will be able to process existing voice sound-clips and create a realistic-sounding voice-replication of new text. Maybe it will require a few touch-ups in special programs or soundforge. As for girls, as far as I'm aware, we have two, from Germany and from the west coast.

Sly Foxx has probably done the most voice acting for Garrett in FM's due to the fact that Lonestar had taken a long hiatus from thief fairly early on.

I'm personally glad that Darkmod isn't about bringing a new Thief to the series. Garrett (Stephen Russell I believe without fact/spell check) had a great voice for Thief and I'm sure whoever (NH ?) does the thieves voice it will be in a similar tone/attitude. But I think Darkmod is bringing some new stuff to the table, along with all the old good stuff, I think it's befiting that it has a stand-alone quality to showcase the team's effort.

This way peoplw can make/play FM's for it and realize that it captures Thief well but is something entirely of its own. (garbly after nap speech)

Anyway, it is a mod mod so I'm sure we'll see Garrett make an appearance in at least one FM at some point in time, whether or not someone decides to make a 'Garrett' voice pack is yet to be seen. It would have to be extensive though to be used in more than one FM.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Sly Foxx has probably done the most voice acting for Garrett in FM's due to the fact that Lonestar had taken a long hiatus from thief fairly early on.

I'm personally glad that Darkmod isn't about bringing a new Thief to the series. Garrett (Stephen Russell I believe without fact/spell check) had a great voice for Thief and I'm sure whoever (NH ?) does the thieves voice it will be in a similar tone/attitude. But I think Darkmod is bringing some new stuff to the table, along with all the old good stuff, I think it's befiting that it has a stand-alone quality to showcase the team's effort.

This way peoplw can make/play FM's for it and realize that it captures Thief well but is something entirely of its own. (garbly after nap speech)

Anyway, it is a mod mod so I'm sure we'll see Garrett make an appearance in at least one FM at some point in time, whether or not someone decides to make a 'Garrett' voice pack is yet to be seen. It would have to be extensive though to be used in more than one FM.

Thanks for the reply guys. I actually sound a lot like garrett. I remember throwing out his one liners at work, when someone at work recognized the "one liner" from Thief TDP and said "that souded like Garrett!" Anyway, I'm sure I can do some voice dubs if anyone is interested. If your going in a different direction, then I undertsand. I would just love to have Garrett back though.

The character of Garrett will not be supported by the official mod, as that is part of Eidos' intellectual property. TDM doesn't take place in the "Thief" universe.