The Dark Mod Forums

Lockpick sounds

sparhawk

Don't know if this was kind of swallowed, but I think I posted it only in the other threads, so I repost it here and hope that somebody can do something about it. :)

For the lockpicking we need a complete soundset. Currently we have 14 pin sounds, but they are either not very suitable, or the soundshader must be adjusted to make them more consistent. When I listen to them individually they sounded good for me, but when they are ingame and used in the actual lockpicking, then they are not so hot. So I would prefer to get a complete consistent set that works well together with each other.

So the tasks would the following:

• Create 15 different pin sounds, which can replace the current ones and are consistent with each other.
  • Need one distinct sound effect to successfully unlock a lock (success sound) (Maybe that one is not needed, because there is one available which should work well enough. Could be that the code is not properly working with that, so I have to investigate that.
  • Need one distinct failed_sound which is played when the player picks the pin wrong
  • Need one failed_sound that is played when the wrong lockpick is used on the lock.

Anybody up to the task?

Gerhard

Greebo, can you possible record a short video with the lockpicks in action? I don't understand much of how to produce sounds, so maybe it is unneccessary, if comp-music already has the soundfiles themselve. For me they sounded grerat when heard outside the mod, but are very different when used in the mod.

Gerhard

Yeah. As I said, the difference between the individual sounds and the in-game effect were quite extreme for me. Since comp is much more experienced, this might be normal for him and he may not need it after all. Comp, what do you say? Do you need a comparison between the sounds and how they are experience in-game, or do the sounds alone suffice?

Gerhard

>>>I was heard the lockpick sounds (thanx Greebo for post) most samples have effect,that's mean difference sound between in game and outside the game.BUt still one thing,are you talking about this

problem with "NH" or "Schatten"? Or any who the charge to add the sound files in game?

i have 3 ways about that

1- i can edit with the old pin sound As I Can Possible to remove any effects and i must mention we maybe LOST some a bit sound from the WAVE line itself.>>

2-we can work together between edit the old pin sound and make new if necessary.

3-create all new.

Maybe comp-music can tell me if he needs such a video or not?

depending on.

I don't know how much work it is. If it's easier to create a completely new set, then do it that way. I have no preference either way. I'm not sure if we really can use these sounds anway. I think I got them from some effects CD that I bought some time ago, so they may not even be allowed to be distributed.

Gerhard

I've comitted the new sounds to the repository, and added the sounds for failing to pick a pin as well as using the wrong pick on a tumbler.

The two new shaders are "lockpick_pin_fail" and "lockpick_pin_wrong".

sparhawk, you'll probably want the new sound lengths for timing:

pin_01: 742 ms
pin_02: 417 ms
pin_03: 696 ms
pin_04: 1207 ms
pin_05: 510 ms
pin_06: 789 ms
pin_07: 696 ms
pin_08: 1067 ms
pin_09: 1903 ms
pin_10: 789 ms
pin_11: 742 ms
pin_12: 882 ms
pin_13: 1439 ms
pin_14: 1021 ms

I also updated the success sound, because the old one sounded a bit like the sledge of a gun. :)