The Dark Mod Forums

Bioshock stuff

Unstoppable

I've played some way through the demo, and I think it's pretty damn good. It never claimed to be anything other than an FPS with lots of environmental interaction; that's what was promised, and that's what we've got.

There was a lot of water to shock people, and a lot of oil spills to light on fire. This was pretty cool, but I rarely used them. Very, very rarely would I find any more than 1 person in a puddle, or near some oil to make it worthwhile.

<3 that wrench though.

Is it the best game ever? I don't know. I don't particularly care. Since when was this a pissing contest?

When? Probably once they started comparing Bioshock to Metroid Prime 3 as the best game ever. I was told this by a friend, don't know if it's true. But Metroid Prime is probably better.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a decent game, I've almost beaten it on the 360. I actually find the enemies really repetitive though and there's not much variety which is really disappointing. The story was done particularly well but the environments, I think, lack creativeness. Yes the game takes place underwater in this cool city, but a lot of it looks exactly the same.

I enjoyed this game quite a bit. In fact, I'm playing through it a second time now.

The game presents you with so many options. Not so much in where to go or what to do but rather how you do it. And it's refreshing to have that kind of freedom. You can run and gun if you want but you don't have to. You can be stealthy, you can set traps, you can exploit your environment, ect... :)

For me, a lot of what makes this game so entertaining is finding new and unconventional ways to exploit your abilities. And I don't know if the demo really gives you a taste of that. I'd give examples but there's a lot of fun to be had in discovery.

It's kind of like methodically setting up a chain of dominoes and tipping the first one. Everything falls into place and it's very satisfying.

Aside from gameplay itself, I thought the story was excellent. And I haven't enjoyed the story in a game for ages. I'm not sure what it is. It just feels right in contrast to other games. Kind of like everything in the game was built on top of the story instead of the other way around.

That said, the game does have it's flaws. I think my biggest gripe is not having an inventory. Not so much because I want to manage storage space and make critical decisions about what to carry or leave behind, but rather because I can't keep track of what items I have without visiting a vending machine or attempting a hack.

When? Probably once they started comparing Bioshock to Metroid Prime 3 as the best game ever. I was told this by a friend, don't know if it's true. But Metroid Prime is probably better.

That's a pretty bold statement, but I have a slight feeling that most people wouldn't agree that Metroid Prime 3 is even in the running...

Edited by Ombrenuit

That's a pretty bold statement, but I have a slight feeling that most people wouldn't agree that Metroid Prime 3 is even in the running...

There is a general excitement over it, but from what I can discern from the hype, its mostly about the gimmicky Wii controls being applied to an FPS. A control scheme does not make a game blockbuster calibre.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I played several hours of it and it's good. It's by no means amazing, though. I don't see the argument behind it "redefining the first person shooter standard" or whatever, as all of these reviewers on the mainstream websites are claiming. While it's entertaining, it's also just another FPS with some different weapons, an expected progression in graphics, AI that has a few more quirks in some situations, and a few supplementary game mechanics (ie "hacking").

But like all of the FPS's I've played in what must be 4 years, it tires me. There's nothing truly new here. Slightly different ways to kill hoards of enemies with basic AI does not entertain me. The beginning was actually very interesting and does a good job of absorbing you into the atmosphere of the game. But after the whole lowdown of the plot is revealed much too generously, it's obvious when the "room clearing" is about to begin. If you've got a substantial anthology of first person shooters under your belt, right about then is when you say to yourself "here comes the rollercoaster ride".

In addition to the obvious problems most in this forum point out about games of the recent years, I think a substantial problem many games have is that they don't know how to tell a good story. Even if you've got gameplay that drones onward, a good storyline will keep people playing.

So it's good, but not good enough for me to continue playing (even though I spent $50 on it).

Edited by woah

It's easy to target the Wii as gimicky because it's so new, so only "gimcky" approaches are being tried for it. In my mind there's potential here to re-define gaming input on a whole new level, but it remains to be seen wether the industry will head in this direction eventually.

Metroid Prime looks uninspiring. As soon as I saw the "lock on targeting" that faces you to the enemy automatically, I knew they failed.

Best version of this is on the GameBoy DS - that pen is actually identical to a mouse, so it plays exactly like a PC first person shooter.

In addition to the obvious problems most in this forum point out about games of the recent years, I think a substantial problem many games have is that they don't know how to tell a good story. Even if you've got gameplay that drones onward, a good storyline will keep people playing.

Thats the truth, HL 2 was a lot of fun at first but eventually it became a room clearing bore. The final attack on the Combine tower was lame, I ran around with a piece of something and just crushed the attackers over and over. It was fun to play through once, but I quit halfway through episode 2.

Same thing with this FarCry Moto 4 mod, which is a lot of fun to be sure but its just a shoot em up, resupply, more shooting, no storyline worth a crap. The friendly AI are stupid too because they are invincible and stand there with four guys plugging them and don't die. At least the first ally you encounter has body armor on to play the part, the second one is a woman who is wearing a hoodie and jeans and gets blasted with machine gun fire at 15 feet and only yelps occasionally. Better to have left them out I think. But the point is that the story sucks, some stupid CIA connection thing versus international bandits and mercs. No immersion on that front so it becomes an arcade game to me. At least the gun battles are fun.

There is a general excitement over it, but from what I can discern from the hype, its mostly about the gimmicky Wii controls being applied to an FPS. A control scheme does not make a game blockbuster calibre.

Then would you care to explain all the hype about Halo? The only thing that separated it from the average/slightly above average PC game is the control scheme (and the fact that it was on a console).

the fact that it was on a console.

That's exactly why Halo was hyped. On PC it was just another mediocre shooter.

Actually it was worse than that on the PC, because the controls were so muddy. The port was shoddy.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well of course it doesn't. That's because the masses are stupid. :P

Don't get me wrong - I like the Wii controller. it is a bit gimmicky, and it certainly doesn't automatically elevate any game that uses it to the status of bestest gaim evar; but it's a good gimmick, and used well it can make a game more fun than it would be with a joystick, IMO. At the very least it makes games more accessible, and that's a very good thing.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well of course it doesn't. That's because the masses are stupid. :P

Well duh :P I meant blockbuster calibre based on quality, not quantity. Your (Nyar) points about the control scheme and the fact that it was on a console are features that inherintly cater to the masses; those less inclined to scrutinize a game for its actual innovation or qualifying points, and more inclined to jump on the bandwagon of a gimmick regardless of whether or not it is effectively utilized.

Perhaps to rephrase: "A control scheme alone will not make a game top quality" ;)

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

• 2 weeks later...

BioShock is a good game and no more. To me it's basically a more fun and less boring version of Doom, the corridor shooter, more ways of doing the same thing, i.e. killing everything. The moral choices are pretty simplistic. In fact it's credit to the game that I actually finished it which I never bothered with for Doom, Unreal etc.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

• 1 month later...

Am I the only one walking around in this game thinking 'all these textures and models would be great for the Dark Mod'. We modded the wrong game! ;)

I'm only a few levels in and the strangest thing abut the plot so far is how many scottish and irish people are in there. Apart from a few Germans, almost everyone either has a Mc on their name or has an irish name or accent. Did they all leave for Rapture during the potato famine?

I liked the Atlas reference to the works of Ayn Rand.

It's a decent game, I've almost beaten it on the 360. I actually find the enemies really repetitive though and there's not much variety which is really disappointing. The story was done particularly well but the environments, I think, lack creativeness. Yes the game takes place underwater in this cool city, but a lot of it looks exactly the same.

I love that term when used in connection with the playing of a video game.

'I almost beaten it', rather than 'finished' or 'completed' it.

'Beaten it' suggests there's some challenge involved, it was a tough contest, but you're almost through and deserve a cold beer. As if there was ever any chance whatsoever that you'd lose.

Like all games, it's a walkover.

They should make all games virtually impossible ti finish. Only maybe 1% of hardcore gamers should be able to do it, or it's too easy. That way, you can consider it a rare achievement if you do 'beat it', rather than just a mildly interesting exercise in timewasting which has been shared by a million others.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That's true, and interesting. Personally, I play a game like I read a book. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and I have little interest in playing hardcore games. It reminds me of playing pen and paper roleplaying games wiht my older brother. If I did manage to die, he'd just bring me back beause the point of the game was the experience and the story, not the glory of overcoming it. That said, would you consider difficulty levels an achievement? That said, even difficulty levels don't tend to be that challenging usually, but they could be, and I know with some games they are. Half Life 2 on hard is like a cake-walk.

That said, even difficulty levels don't tend to be that challenging usually, but they could be, and I know with some games they are. Half Life 2 on hard is like a cake-walk.

Most games just change a few values when difficulty goes up. HP of enemies, damage of their guns(more), damage of your guns(less), and other things of that nature. I've always thought quick-saving, or being able to save anywhere, has toned down difficulty. I hate checkpoints, but they do add a type of difficulty. Like FarCry on whatever the hardest difficulty was called.

They should make all games virtually impossible ti finish. Only maybe 1% of hardcore gamers should be able to do it, or it's too easy. That way, you can consider it a rare achievement if you do 'beat it', rather than just a mildly interesting exercise in timewasting which has been shared by a million others.

You'll never be satisfied by anything. Ever. People won't play a game that only 1% of people who play it can beat. That's not fun, that's more of a job that you pay for.

You have my pity.

It can work for some games, MMO games for example, where there is no real stopping point.

I saw an interview for WoW where they talked about building one huge level that maybe only 1% of users would ever reach. And the interviewer asked what's the point, and they gave a similar reply ... it's something to aspire to, and it rewards the people that have really stuck to it, and it keeps people knowing there's a much bigger world out there they haven't seen yet, so they keep subscribing.

But I don't think WoW is the kind of game Oddity had in mind ... since it's not really the difficulty that's stopping you, just the experience level, which is basically a transparent cover for how long you've played (i.e., how much subscription fee you've paid), which sort of taints the whole idea.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Xbox Live Arcade achievements can be pretty impossible. I'm currently trying to survive to 1 Million points in Geometry Wars. I'll never get 2,000,000 in Zuma, or complete a map in 5 seconds. The Lumines acheivements are killer too, I'll never get them.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif