The Dark Mod Forums

PC Gaming: The revival

Unstoppable

http://www.monster-madness.com/

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (64-bit version of Vista is NOT supported):

Intel Pentium 4 - 1.5Ghz or Equivalent Processor

512 MB of RAM (Windows XP) or 1GB of RAM (Windows Vista)

128 MB Direct3D Compatible Video Card

(Note: NVIDIA GeForce FX cards are not supported)

DirectX 9.0c (Included in DVD)

8X or Faster DVD-ROM Drive

800 MB of free Hard Drive Space

Keyboard and Mouse

Broadband Internet Connection for Online Play

Recommended System Requirements:

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista (64-bit version of Vista is NOT supported):

Intel Pentium 4 - 2 Ghz Equivalent Processor or Higher

1GB of RAM (Windows XP or Windows Vista)

256 MB Direct3D, Shader Model 3 Compatible Video Card

(Note: NVIDIA GeForce FX cards are not supported)

DirectX 9.0c (Included in DVD)

8X or Faster DVD-ROM Drive

3GB of free Hard Drive Space

Keyboard and Mouse

Broadband Internet Connection for Online Play

Reminds me of zombies ate my neighbors. Plus with 4 player online co-op mode, and 16 player vs mode, it is more than just a dream, it will soon be a reality. Play magazine gives it a 90 out of 100. http://www.gamerankings.com. This is something different and a breath of fresh air to the stale PC platform that is in dire need of more of these games which are coming soon.

BioShock, Assasin's Creed, sure they're exciting but they still have to prove themselves. Let's see what else we got. Well there is this title called Fury.

http://www.unleashthefury.com. Only sad part is I can't run it since you really need a dual core pc to run it. It still is challenging every other MMO that has PVP as a side dish. Except it's not really an MMO and there isn't a monthly fee. The business model is sposed to be revolutionary. Plus it's from an Australian developer house.

I think I heard Fallout 3 will be FPS like. Well if it is more easy for the average joe to pick up and play but still keeps what people loved, then I'd definately like to try it out. The official trailer has been released.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

(Go to gametrailers.com because the main page loads i way too slow)

Nice thing is they're using their own people to make the CG, instead of a professional studio like Blur who did the Warhammer 40k Intro along with Sonic games etc. That takes skill and guts.

Oh yeah almost forgot about this one. It's called Overlord. You are the bad guy and basically slowly crawl your way up the evil ladder killing fallen heroes. It's not my cup of tea since i'm the good guy but it is something different. Definately worth a look.

http://www.codemasters.com/overlord/

I'm starting to see a healthy trend here. New studios and smaller publishers now are able to grow. Aka Codemasters, Sabre Interactive. I see a bright future in the next handful of years for the PC. Finally what I have been asking for is coming true. Some new life with some titles that make you pay attention and not yawn at the rehashed crap. It's about time.

Edited by Unstoppable

So, the potential ruining of one of the greatest franchises in existence (Fallout) under the helm of new company (Bethesda) that has already demonstrated their ineptness at keeping the magic that made their own series great (Oblivion) is a sign of a revival of the heydays of PC Gaming, but placing two new, exciting IPs (Bioshock, Assassin's Creed) in the hands of two of greatest (proven) studios in existence (Irrational and PoP studio at Ubisoft, respectively) is somehow an unmitigated risk? Furthermore, your denouncement of some of the best examples of new IP comes in an argument heralding new IP as the source of a heyday of PC Gaming lying on the horizon. What the fuck are you smoking? :wacko:

What the fuck are you smoking? :wacko:

I've been wondering this for a while...

Seriously. Monster Madness is a "breath of fresh air" but Bioshock "still has to prove itself"? You could argue that the latter is true of any unreleased game, but in that case why does Monster Madness (which looks like a cheap knockoff at first glance) not have to prove itself?

Lay off the drugs, dude...

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, that leaves salvia, designer drugs, tobacco, etc--and that's just the shit you smoke!

You're trying to justify your insults by trying to prove that i'm "on" something. Well the only thing i'm high on is fresh air and enjoying my life. Maybe it's time you started enjoying yours. Life is too short to waste it on attacking someone you don't even truly know. :laugh:

The whole drugs thing was just a joke. :rolleyes: By all means, if you have more reason behind your opinions than you presented in your first post, feel free to tell us about them. Without them it looks like your opinions are quite arbitrary and crazy; hence "what are you smoking?". I wasn't seriously suggesting that you were on drugs.

You're trying to justify your insults by trying to prove that i'm "on" something. Well the only thing i'm high on is fresh air and enjoying my life. Maybe it's time you started enjoying yours. Life is too short to waste it on attacking someone you don't even truly know. :laugh:

Y'know, this reminds me of an article someone showed me just the other day... (referring specifically to point #1 there).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The way I see it I am sticking to my original post. The PC gaming is coming back and by 2010 it's going to be THE platform to play games on. Especially when you can build a rig like this for only 1500$.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishli...tNumber=4487525

As for the other stuff that turned out to have nothing to do with my original post, oh well. ^_^

Considering your entire argument is pure fantasizing on your part about games that you have barely seen much less played, I think you're making a jump in assumptions. This is what hype is all about, and as I've said before, prepare to be disappointed. There is nothing to make these games that revolutionizing to warrant that "PC Gaming is coming back in 2010." You're like a little kid being fed puzzle pieces, it's the best kind of advertising--suggest grandeur and every individual will uniquely imagine their paradise. You just fill in the blanks yourself, they don't.

I'm with Nyarlathotep on this one. I'm glad you felt the need to share your excitement, but I don't think any of us care. No one wants to hear sugar-crazed hype.

I was just showing you guys some "different and innovative" games. Things I don't normally see on the PC. Usually it consists of an FPS, RTS, or RPG purely.

I get excited about games that promise something new. Sure I may be dissapointed, but I don't really buy many of the games I get excited about till i'm sure they are worth the cash. Especially after being hopeless from playing Deus Ex 3. That game is truly when I learned not to get my hopes up.

B)

Especially after being hopeless from playing Deus Ex 3. That game is truly when I learned not to get my hopes up.

You mean DX2 I hope... :)

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point that there are some promising-looking games coming out soon; just on your choice of which games those are! And whether it turns out to be a "revival" remains to be seen. Personally I think it'll take a lot to shift the current status quo.

... but placing two new, exciting IPs (Bioshock, Assassin's Creed) in the hands of two of greatest (proven) studios in existence (Irrational and PoP studio at Ubisoft, respectively) is somehow an unmitigated risk? Furthermore, your denouncement of some of the best examples of new IP comes in an argument heralding new IP as the source of a heyday of PC Gaming lying on the horizon.

Off-topic, but what is with this current tendency to describe games as "IP"? I know games fall under the umbrella of "Intellectual Property" -- but so do Windows Vista and the Toyota Prius, and nobody says "I'm really looking forward to getting hold of the new IP from Toyota/Microsoft next month!"

Considering your entire argument is pure fantasizing on your part about games that you have barely seen much less played, I think you're making a jump in assumptions. This is what hype is all about, and as I've said before, prepare to be disappointed. There is nothing to make these games that revolutionizing to warrant that "PC Gaming is coming back in 2010." You're like a little kid being fed puzzle pieces, it's the best kind of advertising--suggest grandeur and every individual will uniquely imagine their paradise. You just fill in the blanks yourself, they don't.

I'm with Nyarlathotep on this one. I'm glad you felt the need to share your excitement, but I don't think any of us care. No one wants to hear sugar-crazed hype.

I tend to get excited about lots of things too, but I stop and think before posting. I always try to supply a rational argument about things, especially when I'm trying to incite conversation something I want to talk about. Posting a bunch links along with one's opinion is insufficient without a logical argument to back said opinion. Either get a damn argument, or lose the damn opinion.

...including mass murders and memory wipes of the current establishment, and possibly widespread cognitive therapy carried out on the general populous.

Right now I'll just settle for getting the unholy trinity out of office: Bush, Howard, and Blair.

It's just the nerd's tendency to reduce everything down to acronyms.

His ideal conversation would involve no words of more than 2 letters.

I prefer tla's; they're much classier. It is one of a nerd's greatest joys to obfuscate one's posts through acronyms. After all, PCMCIA (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms).

@Orbweaver: I don't like the trend behind the rise of the term "IP" in the games industry, but I find it to be a useful umbrella term on occasion. Whether or not we like it, games are becoming more and more of a franchise (think Star Wars and all of its retarded toy lines); "IP" makes it a lot easier to refer to the entire package.

The PC gaming is coming back and by 2010 it's going to be THE platform to play games on.

When exactly did it *stop* being the platform to play games on?

I concur. I've never been much of a console gamer.

Personally I don't care what platform the games come out on as long as I get more glow feedback. More and more glow feedback. Please, don't ever stop increasing the amount of glow feedback in games. Eventually, I want a game where every screen pixel is at full illumination all the time. That will fill me with excitement.

I think I'll make a little demo game called "Sandwhich Eater II". In it, you pick up sandwhiches and eat them. With every bite, your character is surrounded by flashes of lightning and particle effects.

That reminds me, we should add particle effects to TDM to reward the player when they accomplish certain actions. I'm thinking a nice Warcraft-III-level-up-style "pow!" on every successful blackjack, and a DragonballZ Super Saiyan powerup sequence whenever you complete an objective.

Objective complete: Collect 500 gold.

"YAAAAAAARRRGH! BEHOLD MY NEW IMPROVED LEVEL 10 SUPER SAIYAN!"

"OMG! What's his powerlevel?!"

"It's over nine thousand!"

"OVER NINE THOUSAND??!?!?!"

I think I'll make a little demo game called "Sandwhich Eater II". In it, you pick up sandwhiches and eat them. With every bite, your character is surrounded by flashes of lightning and particle effects.

:laugh:

Don't forget a helicopter that circles around, keeping perfect speed as the player and sandwich move at near lightspeed through outer space, with a bullhorn announcing all the cool things he does: Mega-bite!! 3,000 points, Oh YEAA!

Off-topic, but what is with this current tendency to describe games as "IP"? I know games fall under the umbrella of "Intellectual Property" -- but so do Windows Vista and the Toyota Prius, and nobody says "I'm really looking forward to getting hold of the new IP from Toyota/Microsoft next month!"

Because it's the IP part in its most-property-like aspect (alienation) that's being sold from one game company to another when the first goes out of business. Car companies and Microsoft don't usually go bankrupt and have to sell their IP to other companies like game companies do; they license, so it's not really the IP itself, as a piece of property getting alienated, that you're really talking about 99.9% of the time. It's the use.

And even when you're talking about when games license their assets, e.g., to mod, there's still a strong alienation flavor to it because you can basically do what you want with it and make it "your own" (more or less perceived as effectively alienation). It's not really about keeping it intact to do just the job you bought it for like a car or OS.

Also, computer applications and industrial design have both always had a relatively uneasy status in IP law, so it's easy for people to get categories confused (they are justified in doing so, even legislators, lawyers and judges get things confused!), where cars and OS's don't seem very IP-like, and games do.

I think generally speaking, things tending towards the narrative & "look and feel" side of intellectual property (like audio-visual assets, story, characters, etc) are more generally perceived as classic IP, whereas pieces of functional machinery, a car or an operating system, people are more focused on the nuts and bolts of the thing itself doing work, than the design. It's all IP, I mean at a certain point IP is just a matter of a judge's or legislature's opinion, but as to what people call it, it's a matter of perception. Games are just very easy to stuff into the same category as movies and books, where it's the embodied-idea people are buying, as opposed to cars and operating systems, where people are buying something more concrete that gets them to work or gets their computer running. The double-standard doesn't sound so logical if you press it, but that's the way perceptions work.

(I studied IP law. So I'm just trying to guess at an answer to your question because it's something I've noticed too.)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That reminds me, we should add particle effects to TDM to reward the player when they accomplish certain actions. I'm thinking a nice Warcraft-III-level-up-style "pow!" on every successful blackjack, and a DragonballZ Super Saiyan powerup sequence whenever you complete an objective.

Objective complete: Collect 500 gold.

"YAAAAAAARRRGH! BEHOLD MY NEW IMPROVED LEVEL 10 SUPER SAIYAN!"

"OMG! What's his powerlevel?!"

"It's over nine thousand!"

"OVER NINE THOUSAND??!?!?!"

Don't forget a helicopter that circles around, keeping perfect speed as the player and sandwich move at near lightspeed through outer space, with a bullhorn announcing all the cool things he does: Mega-bite!! 3,000 points, Oh YEAA!

We need to implement this into the Dark Mod NOW! It'll go perfect with our cock( lock)-picking minigame!

*stuff*

I think you managed to explain better than I understood it. That's exactly the problem with the games industry today.