The Dark Mod Forums

Hey you, catch!

Unstoppable

http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/...ontage_h264.wmv

Finally starting to look like a real commercial game. Probably they are in the final stages and need to seriously optimize that baby. From the creators of Diablo (www.flagshipstudios.com www.hellgatelondon.com)

Definately something refreshing for the PC. It's an RPG/Shooter not based on twitching. Based on skills but of course if you know how to move around and shoot/melee you will be a better player. You can cutomize weapons and there are different character classes. Anyone looking forward to this one? B)

Watch the video worth the download.

Random generated maps? That sounds bad! I have yet to see a game where the maps are good. I was also looking forward to it, but this is bad news IMO.

Not sure if you ever played Diablo 1 or 2. However in those games randomly generated maps meant the action was somewhat always fresh. Once you completed the game in normal difficulty you could play nightmare than hell. As you progress through it the random engine would start throwing nasty shit at you.

On nightmare your resistances are lowered, or I think that's hell. Anyway the monsters are at least twice as hard and there are more elites thrown in the mix. Also the random loot generator is godlike. Plus you can still play in on battle.net via somewhat secure servers. That game has had like 20 patches or something. (Diablo 2)

Some people are even crazy enough to play on Hardcore mode. What is hardcore mode you ask? Well it's simple if you die ONCE there's no coming back. Your character is gone for good. It's crazy. :laugh:

Anyway the random generated maps are to a certain point. However with the Diablo creators they will make sure that it's well done. Diablo 1 and 2 along with the expansion are nothing short of a masterpiece. B)

You can get them for 10$ via gamestop or ebgames.com through june 23 or something like that.

Well, I liked Diablo 2, so this has potential.

Looks fun. It's basically a FPS zombie-horde fest, maybe a few RPG elements thrown in.

It looks pretty "twitchy" to me, so I don't know what you meant by saying it wasn't (as if it were really tactics based, or story based, or something...).

But not in a bad way.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I actually liked the randomly generated maps in Soldier of Fortune 2. They usually had some fortified complex with a decent outdoor perimeter, and it was fairly different every time (although maybe I just didn't play it enough to see the repitition yet).

For some reason I liked Diablo 2. I can't really say why, the gameplay was repetative and the story was drivel, but it was fun to me :P I don't know if I'd still like that kind of style though, running around killing stuff and leveling up.

The video looks like it could be a cool fun game, but I don't know how anyone can stand to play without vsync on - it's horribly annoying to see all that tearing left and right

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It keeps the screen from refreshing half the screen only. In other words, only when the full screen is ready to be freshed does it allow the refresh to happen. It is synchronizing the monitor's vertical refresh rate with the game's frame rate.

The effect is that you avoid horizontal "tears" in the graphics. You notice it most during movement, especially turning side to side, because if only the top half of the screen refreshes at one point in the turn you will see that part of the view turned further, while the bottom half hasn't turned that far yet. It only lasts a fraction of a second, but I can't stand it.

Turning on vsync will usually lower the overall frame rate a certain amount because it has to match the monitor with a "lowest common denominator" approach. If your monitor is set at 60hz, the vsync will set the refresh at to 60hz if the game framerate is over 60fps, or it set it to 30hz if the game framerate is over 30fps but under 60fps, or 20hz, or 15hz, or 12hz, or 10hz, etc.

It will change on the fly as well. If your game is cruising at 40+fps (thus leading the vsync to set the refresh at 30hz), but then you get a bunch of AI or whatever and the game framerate drops to 25fps, the vsync will instantly lower the refresh to 20hz until the fps goes back up over 30.

Some people want to leave vsync off to maximize framerate, but this usually a mistaken goal because only a portion of the screen will have the slightly higher framerate, with the other portion of the screen dealing with the stuttery leftovers.

Here are some stills from the video that illustrate non-vsynced tearing:

In this first pic, you can see the tear that goes through the top of his head

vsync01.jpg

here the tear is near the top of the screen

vsync02.jpg

this screen doesn't have any tears, but...

vsync03.jpg

then in this shot, the next frame, only the bottom half has turned, the top is "behind"

vsync04.jpg

I never heard that vsync will lower the frequency of the monitor. AFAIK all it does is, to wait with the next refresh when the vertical sync interrupt is occuring. This technique was already available on the C64 as well. Bascially it works like this:

You paint your screen and then you wait until the monitor cannon reaches the area where it can not draw anything anymore. While the cannon is moving back to the top position, you draw the next frame and then you wait again. This way the screen will not tear as Komag explained, and as a consequence the framrate can not exceed the frequency of the monitor. Thus it will always be lower or equal.

Gerhard

Wow. I was kind of excited about this game, all the hype and buzz. After watching the video, not anymore. :unsure:

I was expecting something new, something different. Instead, they come up with yet another generic shooter with slight RPG elements.

Wow. I was kind of excited about this game, all the hype and buzz. After watching the video, not anymore. :unsure:

I was expecting something new, something different. Instead, they come up with yet another generic shooter with slight RPG elements.

Moje myslenky presne

It's not another shooter. You don't know enough about the game if you think that. All of your shots whether they hit or miss will be based on your stats, not on the gun or your skills. I believe you do have to aim at the target though. Damage is determined by rpg statistics. There are a variety of classes to play as well.

Also you can heavily modify your weapons. There are a whole lot of other things that you can find at the website.

Edited by Unstoppable

I was expecting something new, something different.

"Our intent from the beginning was to provide gamers an online experience not just comparable to, but even better than what they got from Diablo II. It has always been Flagship's goal to offer a robust multi-player experience that can satisfy players for months and even years."

What kind of game did you think this was? Diablo II is simply giddy mindless gaming gold. Not something new. Not something different. Just something that does what it does VERY well.

Edited by Ombrenuit

In regards to Diablo II being mindless I disagree. It requires knowledge of skill trees to build a powerful character. Also in the hardest game type (hell) it will take you to level 80+ to complete it. There are a host of deadly mobs which are immune to certain things and you have to know how to fight them with your class.

There are combos you can do for synergies to stack more power on a certain skills. There are also thousands of articles/posts about different ways to specialize a class. It is no doub ta hack and slash. However if a player is smart he will be way more efficient than someone who spends skill points without really knowing why.

Also you can create recipes, modify weapons, armor, jewels, etc and go on magic finding hunts. Personally I think it's one of the best games ever created, along with Diablo 1. ^_^

I'm honestly turned off the game after finding out how generic the design templates are for the randomization of the levels, basically = same shit to look at, but randomly.

Also the pay model is a thinly disguised doubletalk that deep down means only monthly paying customers will get the decent game world and items. Not to mention how the gameplay seems to mirror Diablo 2, meaning hack-n-slash to a massively repetitive degree, which should bore anyone with an above average IQ after a short while or couple playthroughs.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I'm honestly turned off the game after finding out how generic the design templates are for the randomization of the levels, basically = same shit to look at, but randomly.

Also the pay model is a thinly disguised doubletalk that deep down means only monthly paying customers will get the decent game world and items. Not to mention how the gameplay seems to mirror Diablo 2, meaning hack-n-slash to a massively repetitive degree, which should bore anyone with an above average IQ after a short while or couple playthroughs.

I understand how you feel but you have not played the game and neither have I. At least play the demo if it ever does come out.

The pay model will probably be like that of Guild Wars with episodes adding more content but not being mandatory. It was made by Diablo creators so it's going to have strong influences of Diablo.

I can see what you mean by it being boring. I hope the classes, items, levels, and randomness will help alleviate that.