The Dark Mod Forums

A Few New Screen Shots At Thief 2x

New Horizon

I was just woindering how they can get away with using THief elements in their game?

So, as long as you make a game using the Dark engine it's ok to do antything you like, but if you use another engine to make FMs then it's illegal?

Has anyone actually contacted Eidos and asked them about this, or are we just assuming they wouldn't allow it?

If they said it was ok, would you guys actully want to start using Thief names and laces?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I was just woindering how they can get away with using THief elements in their game?

Because they are using the original software and editing tools they can do so. That's one of the points of releasing the editing tools. If we were doing a mod for D3 based on D3 we could also use everything that is available.

So, as long as you make a game using the Dark engine it's ok to do antything you like, but if you use another engine to make FMs then it's illegal?

Yes. That is one of the conditions coming with DromEd. And IMO that makes sense. Using Dromed means that you have to have a copy of Thief which means a sale for them. Using their franchise on a different engine means giving away their idea without any revenue.

Has anyone actually contacted Eidos and asked them about this, or are we just assuming they wouldn't allow it?

Sleeping dogs shouldn't be waked. :)

If they said it was ok, would you guys actully want to start using Thief names and laces?

Of course. But given the exeprience with their public relations department, I somehow doubt this. And considering how EA reacted to System Shock Rebooted, my hopes are not THAT high.

Gerhard

With the Imperium and now Thief 2X in Beta, it feels like the Dark Engine is gearing up for a graceful last hurrah. It's going to show us all what it can do. :)

Reminds me of the days of the Commodore 64. Most of you are probably to young to remember this machine :P but it was quite fascinating what people did with it, even after years and years when you thought that this must now be the end of any new stuff. :)

Gerhard

Reminds me of the days of the Commodore 64. Most of you are probably to young to remember this machine :P but it was quite fascinating what people did with it, even after years and years when you thought that this must now be the end of any new stuff. :)

Heh heh....I remember the C64. Back in the days before Microsoft turned the "Bluescreen" into a symbol of frustration, it was a symbol of fun and learning.

Shame on you Microsoft! :lol:

I was just playing a C64 game tonight.  Sword of Fargoal, in fact.

How many can say that!  ;)

I still very often play "Monty on the run" (only for the music because it is asbolutely great) and my alltime favourite is "Trolly Wally". One of the rare games that I ever played completley through. And also my kids love it.

Gerhard

One of my favourite games of all time is the old C64 Pirates! game. I'm almost afraid to try the remake that just came out, for fear of destroying the magic. :)

Try getting through impossible mission only to find out theres a bug that makes it so you CAN'T finish the game.

That's not a bug...didn't you read the title of the game??

:P

I still very often play "Monty on the run" (only for the music because it is asbolutely great) and my alltime favourite is "Trolly Wally".

Never heard of either of those! Hehe. I am running CCS64 here, and some ROMs I have include:

Mail Order Monsters (OH WOOT)

M.U.L.E. (cmon, need I say more?)

Castles of Doctor Creep

Impossible Mission

Doriath

Staff of Karnath

Telengard

Pool Of Radiance

Champions of Krynn

Bard's Tale I-III

Bruce Lee

World Karate Championship (great music)

The Halley Project (mmmm)

Karateka

Paradroid

Ultima III-V

Those names should stir some emotions, I wager!

(Note: I've finished Impossible Mission, too)

I've been hoping and praying for years that EA would make a new M.U.L.E. game (still the best and most fun economics simulator ever made) but it was made back when EA was just a bunch of guys who loved making games, before it went corporate, so that wish is very unlikely :(

EDIT: I dunno why my copy was bugged, but i could never get the last puzzle peice in impossible mission, i know others had the same problem.

"Stay awhile, stay FOREVER! Ha Ha Ha".... sigh.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!