The Dark Mod Forums

Paris Hilton goes back to jail

Domarius

I'd be fine with spending 30 days at home. Heck, I do that regularly during the summer break... And my house is a hovel compared to Paris Hilton's house.

Yeah, I need to get out more, but that's not the point. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Haha. Not happening. ^_^

It'd be even worse in my case since I don't have a licence (suspended or not), and can't drive* even when I'm sober. Oh, and I get drunk easily, since I don't drink alcohol that often.

*Not real cars anyway. I'm pretty good at Re-Volt.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

My opinion of having a car has see-sawed in the last two days. On Saturday I had to pay £1600 to get my car back on the road, and was thinking 'why the hell do I own a car?'.

But yesterday my mam's apendix exploded and I had to rush her to hospital at 5am. So now I'm thinking 'thank God I own a car'.

Haha. Not happening. ^_^

It'd be even worse in my case since I don't have a licence (suspended or not), and can't drive* even when I'm sober. Oh, and I get drunk easily, since I don't drink alcohol that often.

Which are even better conditions to get the confinment, if caught driving. :P

Gerhard

But yesterday my mam's apendix exploded and I had to rush her to hospital at 5am. So now I'm thinking 'thank God I own a car'.

How long does it take to call an emergency car? Driving your mom yourself is probaly not scuh a good idea for all kind of reasons, and i wonder if you get faster treatement if you drive yourself anyway.

Gerhard

How long does it take to call an emergency car? Driving your mom yourself is probaly not scuh a good idea for all kind of reasons, and i wonder if you get faster treatement if you drive yourself anyway.

Well if I call and 'emergency car' they have to go from A to B then back to A. But if I drive I just have to go from B straight to A. Unless they go twice as fast as I do, which is unlikely on narrow roads around here, I shall win the race.

It depends on various issues.

The car has to go from A to B first, that's right, but on the other hand, as soon as it reaches you, she is already under medical care. Depending on where you live, that might be faster then driving yourself.

If you go to the wrong hospital, it might happen that they can not take you mother because they may not be equipped to deal with it. A rescue car can already determine where she should go.

If you have a crash because you are emotionally involved, you get even more problems.

Rescue cars have special grants, so the can pass over red lights and people have to move to the side and let it pass through in jams, which you also can not do.

Obviously I can't say if it was the best thing or not in your case, but usually it's not. I know that it feels faster, because time slows down if you have to wait in such a case.

Gerhard

The car has to go from A to B first, that's right, but on the other hand, as soon as it reaches you, she is already under medical care.

They wouldn't operate on a persons appendix on the way to the hospital. The operation takes about an hour and is done under anesthetic.

If you go to the wrong hospital, it might happen that they can not take you mother because they may not be equipped to deal with it. A rescue car can already determine where she should go.

It's the only big hospital in the area. And they removed my brother's appendix last year so I knew they could do it.

If you have a crash because you are emotionally involved, you get even more problems.

It was 5am and there weren't any other cars on the road (this is rural Wales remember) so a crash was unlikely. You can't go over 40-50mph on those roads anyway.

Rescue cars have special grants, so the can pass over red lights and people have to move to the side and let it pass through in jams, which you also can not do.

There weren't any people to have to move aside at that time of morning or traffic lights to obstruct me on the way there.

The hospital didn't offer to send an ambulance over so it seems that they agreed with me.

Well, I think 5 minutes was a fine use of time as it was a joke. Thank you Domarius, you made me laugh, but you also made me waste 3 minutes on a terrible photoshop job :angry:

You've also stimulated conversation outside of modding which can or can't be considered a good/bad thing. But I think it shows us all how varying opinions can be, and how anything can be argued about to great length and why the human race is in sooo much trouble. :blush:

For instance, I totally agree with sparhawk that an ambulance can often times be the safest alternative for everyone around. At the same time can see Macsen's point that it can be faster to do it yourself. Great scholars could argue benefits/drawbacks for years and in the end there will always be 2 sides and divided opinions.

When I got ran over by the drunk driver I was 7 miles outside of town on a county road. Several of my friends nearby were emt's (emergency training). I wanted them to get me to hospital, my leg was broken, I was in pain, I knew my back was fine. They were trained not to move me because my back might be injured.

So I waited in pain for 1 hour til paramedics arrived and maybe 1 hour back to hospital. If my friends had taken me it would have got me to pain killers an hour earlier. (And saved my arm from 10 attempts at an IV on a bumping road).

I believe either way would've been fine. Of course they would've driven safely, not haphazardly thinking that no one else would've been around. Someone is always around when least expected.

What's the moral?

Paris should pay 'cause she's a self righteous immoral bitch who has no concern for the safety or well being of others!

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Paris should pay 'cause she's a self righteous immoral bitch who has no concern for the safety or well being of others!

Status crimes are a bad idea! You're a dirty drug user ... you didn't do drugs, we just picked you up for loitering, but off to jail with you anyway. You're gay; we'd never prosecute straight sodomy, but for you ... off to jail with you. Atheist, Nazi, Communist, gang member ... you say? Off with his head. You're rich and can't sympathize with the hard knocks of poor people, and get way too many privileges in life ... of to jail with you to compensate, nevermind that your offense isn't a jail-able one. All of these things can be terrific symbols of justice (if you like the outcome), but are themselves injustice. If a normal person would not get jail, any person should not get jail under the same circumstances, esp not because of their status.

The more I look at this, the more I see a sheriff's office that would not imprison someone for this offense being under tremendous public pressure to "do something", so tries the next best alternative ... just let her sit at home; everybody wins. She shouldn't be in jail anyway. But at least this will appease the public looking for rich blood to spill. You're all a bunch of sick-o Robespierre's just happy to see her suffer for no better reason than its own sake -- always pushing aside the fact that her offense wasn't actually drunk driving, just speeding on a suspended license, the kind of thing the cops always just fine people for ... unless they're rich.

But I think it shows us all how varying opinions can be, and how anything can be argued about to great length and why the human race is in sooo much trouble.

Just think of the alternative? Everybody sits around and agrees with each other? How dull!! :laugh:

Anyway, I'm just stirring the pot with this post to help make your point. It's not actually that big of a deal to me; she can sit on her hands for just 3 more weeks to pay for the sins of the rich. And she did do something personally stupid. So there you go.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

No demagogue, I totally agree. :P

Lock em all up, then give their riches to the poor. Then lock them up....

--they should ship her off to the new drunk tank in Seattle, I just read in the paper today.

Seattle is now building an apartment complex for drunks. They have to pay $250 for rent in a new place, and unfortunately have to buy their own booze.

Seattle estimates the money they save on halfway houses, ect... The building will pay for itself in 5 years.

No Kidding,

But what do you think it'll do to the surrounding property values? Will the apartments be well maintained? Or will this just lead to a new massive ghetto in Seattle?

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest