The Dark Mod Forums

First Game Banned in UK in 10 Years

Macsen

Yes, but the comparison was being made between those games and Manhunt2. Whereas Manhunt2 was designed to entertain and be mainstreem, so could a racist game, in theory, which is what Oddity seemed to be hinting at. The key difference is that you will never walk into futureshop and see "Nigger killing game" on the shelf, but you may see Manhunt2.

@ OrbWeaver:

It wouldn't have to be violent acts, but it could also be a change in thinking patterns regarding black society. Media in the past has been shown to have a large role on the opinions of average people. This was touched on in the Paris Hilton thread. If such a game was to be made mainstream than a potential issue would be raised.

I also worded what I meant wrong at the end there. I meant if the game violated freedom of speech, such as it insighted hatred, fear or violence towards others [like the KKK does] which isn't covered by that right [ in Canada at least :) ] That doesn't mean people will act on it, but it means they will be influenced by it.

Yes, oDDity, but the point is that the kind of killing and violence seen in video games isn't 'murder' as society sees it. I can't think of a game (besides Manhunt and Manhunt 2, above) where murdering people is the sole purpose of the game. In pretty much every game we're told that the player is the force of 'good' against 'evil' - we know killing can sometimes be right (fighting the Nazis in WWII for example) - and it is in this sort of situation that the player frequently finds himself in a video game.

If they were just murder simulators most people would feel morally uncomfortable, and probably bored, just as they would with a child abuse simulator and rape simulator. So these aren't 'murder simulators', they're 'saving the day' simulators. :) It lets you enjoy the violence without feeling morally wrong - like punching Hitler! There's also a measure of skill that comes with these games that many people find appealing.

Ok, so the nigger raping game would be fine if the scenario was set up so that the nigger bitches in question were all really bad women who enjoyed torturing and killing white children, but weren't being arrested because of a corrupt police force that had been taken over by black supremacist groups, and therefore, you are justly exacting revenge on them, and you are actually doing a good deed by saving the lives of their future murder victims?

Oh, and you have to rape them first because you belong to an obscure religion which states that you first have share intimate bodily fluids with someone before killing them, even if they deserve it, or you will burn in hell forever.

The point is, it's not difficult to think up a scenario in which you can justify any kind of behaviour, since in a game, the creators are making up the rules as well as defining the gameplay.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Speaking of that morbid topic, it always stuns me that in the West the idea of a rape game sounds so shocking that we'd be surprised to see one come out, whereas in Japan, every year dozens, even hundreds, of games come out in the genres of rape, teacher-student rape, chikan (public groping/rape), biko (stalker rape), mutilation sex (whether by monsters, tenticals, sadists, etc), humiliation themes (maids, bondage, torture, etc), brother-sister incest, mother-son incest, nephew-aunt incest, father-daughter incest, etc, etc... And they are so blase to the whole debate.

Links to title-lists to make the point (also has thumbnail box scans, so NSFW): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. That's just the tip of the iceberg ... a few that are licensed for this shop and have the right title. Well, Here's 150 titles in the "black" category (an umbrella keyword for violent rape games) from the last 3 years alone (also NSFW). (I wish I could find a genre-sort to really see how many there are instead of by ad hoc keyword. I know there's one somewhere. It'd be well into the 100s). Anyway, for every one of these, imagine another 10-50 in the market (the keywords I'm not finding) just like them.

It really astounds me sometimes how blithe the market is about the whole thing in the face of such a flood. It's like they can't get violent rape and incest fast enough. And notice that new releases are usually priced over $70-$80, dozens and dozens of them. So it's not just that they can't get them fast enough, but are willing to pay heaps of money for more and more of it, so that the market is practically salivating for more violent rape. My thinking is that a great many people would have to basically set aside their paycheck to buy a $80 rape game every month or three to sustain a market like that.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, just ask yourself, would you rather be raped or murdered.

Solved.

I don't think you can just lump all kinds of rape or murder into 2 categories. If I was going to be held against my will for an extended period and violently raped, I'd probably rather be murdered than go through life scared and unable to live a day without feeling horrid.

@ demagogue:

That's an example of different cultural values more-so though. Some cultures think that the sexual exploitation of children is okay, however the Western culture does not view it in such a light hearted manner. Imo, from a western point of view, rape and murder can be equally bad. I guess the key thing that makes me say that is that I'm used to seeing violence on TV, in movies, in games, but rape is not something that is portrayed often in what I see. I suppose I'm less sensitized to rape than death. But this issue is to broad to approach. Different countries will have different policies for their different cultures.

Well, just ask yourself, would you rather be raped or murdered.

Solved.

So you mean I can speak for all people in the world? I guess different people have different opinions, and I can easily imagine a few scenarios where one would prefer death over rape.

Gerhard

The point is, it's not difficult to think up a scenario in which you can justify any kind of behaviour, since in a game, the creators are making up the rules as well as defining the gameplay.

I think you just disproved your own point with that forced and ridiculous made up 'scenario'. Having to kill an enemy to protect your clan has been going on since the dawn of man - no one has ever had to rape someone, be racist or abuse a child to 'save the day'. Setting your game in such a forced scenario as 'you belong to an obscure religion which states that you first have share intimate bodily fluids with someone before killing them' just wouldn't be believable, has nothing to do with 'saving the day', and shows why killing is accepted in video games while rape is not.

Links to title-lists to make the point...

:blink: Holy cow. Well, learn something new every day I guess. Maybe the word (rape) is used differently over there, and doesn't represent the crime? From a game description (how are these games, anyway? they look like cartoons, so I guess it must be Final Fantasy "watch the game" type of crap), it sounds more like 'taboo sex' than 'rape.'

On a side note, I'm wondering why all the girls - presumably asian girls - have such ridiculously enormous boobs and big round asses. I dig asian chicks as much as any other, but we all know the vast majority (all?) are not built like that at all, not even close, and in reality are generally much more slender.* Is that stereotyping? I'm not trying to; it just seems like reality from what I've seen, and I've done my time on multiple science campuses, sometimes outnumbered 10 to 1. Heck, it's one of the reasons asian girls are so desired here (in the obesity capital of the world). Is this another silly "worship the west" type of thing, that even the girls are faked to look like westerners? There's just no need for it.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a fat asian girl in my life! :huh:

*(if not, please indicate where to find the curvy stacked asian girls, thx)

On a side note, I'm wondering why all the girls - presumably asian girls - have such ridiculously enormous boobs and big round asses. I dig asian chicks as much as any other, but we all know the vast majority (all?) are not built like that at all, not even close, and in reality are generally much more slender.

That's probably the reason, why. ;)

Gerhard