The Dark Mod Forums

Static Modelling

_Atti_

About collision meshes.

For example the garlic i modified has none. Does all models need it and it was just left out?

And on a multiple surface object if i make a one-mesh collision model, will it be able to tell an arrow if it hit a wooden part of metallic?

Any guidelines on creating collision meshes? As i see its better to keep them on models inner sides, guess its to avoid arrows sticking out of air, or colliding with other objects in that unwanted way.

Only movables technically need a collision mesh, and it needs to be less than 16 polys (or is that tris? I forget).

Any ideas what to look for if a model is showing up black in-game , but fine in the editor? I can also see the background's chimneysmoke through the black model.

I've refreshed all it's components for a few times,dmapped,restarted, etc but it seems its setup just like all the others and should work.

Edited by _Atti_

Have you got the editor and doom3 both pointing at the same game folder? If you set up a test map doom3\test\maps\test.map and a custom shader in doom3\test\materials\ and DR is set for that game folder but doom3 is pointing only at darkmod it won't see the mtr file or skin file whichever.

There was a } missing :o.. Or that was the last of mistakes..i dont know, but it's working now.

Altough maybe it was better in black:D It's a bit comical now with my bad uvs on the model:D well probably this will remain fm-only stuff if i dont remake it in a better fashion.

post-73-127456080732_thumb.jpg

post-73-127456081328_thumb.jpg

So, I took one of the Lightwave models from TDM's model pk4, imported it into Blender, and re-made the UV maps so I could give it a better texture. That went fine. But now I can't get it back into DR. It shows up in the list, and I can select it, but it shows no polygons, and does not appear in the 3D space. I can reopen this same edited LWO in Blender, and it works fine. What's wrong here?

For additional information up front, I have the model and textures both in the proper folder structure, with the proper naming conventions as listed on the wiki.

Edited by Tch

I always recommend exporting to ASE from Blender for use in TDM. Although Blender does have export to Lightwave functionality, I'm not sure how complete it is. ASE is a lot easier to handle given that it is a text format.

So ASE is an alternative to LWO in TDM?

I upgraded to the latest version of Blender, and the model now appears in DR, but now the problem is that I can't see how to apply the MTR to it. If I have it selected, and open the shader in the surface inspector, it seems to load fine when I click OK, but doesn't apply it to the model, and when I click any of the buttons or close the inspector, the shader name disappears. Is there some "apply" button I'm missing, or is the surface inspector not the place the MTR is supposed to be applied?

You can't apply textures to models in DarkRadiant, this has to be done beforehand during the model creation itself. The *BITMAP line in the ASE file needs to point to the correct material name. There is a guide to that in the wiki.

I'll try it out with ASE. I assume this is the guide you're referring to.

(As an aside, the thumbnail example images in that guide do not have full size images -- they're only thumbnails)

Edited by Tch

I'll try it out with ASE. I assume this is the guide you're referring to.

Actually, I meant the Basic tutorial linked in the first paragraph of that page.

(As an aside, the thumbnail example images in that guide do not have full size images -- they're only thumbnails)

Ah, yes. I re-uploaded the larger versions, luckily I still had them on my hard drive.

• 6 months later...

1.03 Changelist doesnt mention these models/skins added, i guess it slipped out of view by time.

So if you still need these i could send them to however needs it for the pack. I sent it back then to Springheel however so maybe he did include them ,or just forgot about it.

So the models/skins are:

Onion skin for the orig. garlic model

Blue curtain skin for orig purplish curtain

Pepper long / short version model / skins in varying colour

bacon model with texture

nail models ,various size and forms +screw skins.post-73-129241216714_thumb.jpg

Edited by _Atti_

. I sent it back then to Springheel however so maybe he did include them , just forgot about it.

Sorry I have no memory of adding them. Either I did and don't remember, or (more likely) I forgot to do it. Any chance you can send them to me again?

Sent it,

I plan on doing vases and pots now, the symboled one is more like just a test.

I edited tdm_emptypot's Uwv and corrected smoothing groups and plan on remaking its original skins improwed on the new map. Then i plan to do this with the remaining vases and pots as i think it would improve maps look a lot.

post-73-129242047844_thumb.jpg

post-73-129242048858_thumb.jpg

Ah, I forgot who made these!

A number of the things are included in 1.04, however a few of the dds's and other textures that you handed over are not power-of-two dimentions. If you have higher res versions of them I'd be happy to do a 'nice reize' else I'm going to have to do a bit of lossy and 'best effort' to resize and scale them to look correct :)

At the moment it's possible for these non power of two textures to crash doom3 on some ATI graphics cards, they're also just generally inefficient.

I edited tdm_emptypot's Uwv and corrected smoothing groups and plan on remaking its original skins improwed on the new map. Then i plan to do this with the remaining vases and pots as i think it would improve maps look a lot.

Not sure what you mean be "remaking", but you have to make sure any changes aren't going to affect the vases already in maps...I'm not sure how you could change the uvmaps without that happening.

That said, improvement in that specific area would be welcome - some of the textures, such as for bottles, are pretty dire.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I dont resize it, move the model's origin, or anything, i just edit the uwv, so textures look nicer and cleaner on the model, and plan on adjusting the original skins to fit/make new ones for it.

Changing the smoothing isnt changing previous map either, it just corrects the ugly smoothing.

Maybe it's just me but i think as they are now , its a bit out of the league compared to the quality of all-around tdm assets.

Edited by _Atti_

Changing the smoothing is fine.

My concern is that if you move the uvmap, then you potentially mess up existing skins. If you change the textures to fix the skin problem, then you potentially mess up other objects where those textures have been used.

That said, improvement in that specific area would be welcome - some of the textures, such as for bottles, are pretty dire.

In what way?

hm i can see how UWV could make a mess but i think in the case of these object a revamp may not be that much of a bad idea.

I wouldnt be that much into uwving by the way.. but for example that pot had it quite inefficient and i think it showed, especially on these generic skins.