The Dark Mod Forums

Any way to extend the max view distance in 3D view?

I already have the the "enable far-clip plane" turned off (I also tried with it on just maxing the distance, the max is the same as when it's off).

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm working with some very widely spread areas and I sure would like to see more, like the whole area! Is this hard coded, or is there some ini setting I can adjust?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Mmmm... I can't get it to work at all now. I enabled it in prefs and saved it then tried Ctrl +/- on the keypad but without success. Then I tried Ctrl +/- on the Qwerty board and this worked. But at some point it disappeared and no amount of pressing Ctrl +/- has any effect. Just reloaded and still the same. But mine is only a small map so it may be out of range. Any way to read where it's set at?

I'll have to check, but I think the setting for the far-clip plane distance is not saved, only the enabled/disabled status. OrbWeaver also reported that the Ctrl-+ does not work on UK keyboards, so you might want to assign another shortcut pair for these two commands.

Turning it off works fine for me, the screenshot below shows a room with 45000 units in length with the camera in the middle. I can still see one wall at the distance of 22500 units.

farclip.jpg

I think we should make the standard shortcuts compatible to the UK keyboard anyway. I only used the values I found hardcoded in the GtkRadiant code and moved them into the input.xml file, but if they are not working on the majority of keyboards, it should be changed.

What shortcuts did you choose?

Turning it off works fine for me, the screenshot below shows a room with 45000 units in length with the camera in the middle. I can still see one wall at the distance of 22500 units.

I'm working with areas much bigger than that. I too can see that far, but it cuts off around 30,000 to 35,000, depending on if you're looking at the corner or the top of the 3D window. You can test it by moving to the side of your room and looking across. If you can still see the full 45,000, then something is different with our setups, or it depends on the video card, or something.

I would like to be able to see about 150,000, so that if you are in the corner of the whole world space you can see the far corner.

Basically, I want there to be no far-clip plane FOR REALS! B)

You can't not have a far clip plane, this is a requirement for OpenGL rendering AFAIK. The reason is that the depth buffer contains numerical values which have to map from the near clip plane to the far clip plane in order for Z buffering to work correctly. It is up to the programmer to position the planes correctly so that the entire scene is enclosed but the Z buffer does not lose too much precision.

I have no idea whether the OpenGL clip planes have anything to do with your problem though.

Here is a shot of one of my test maps:

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/oddpics/farclip.jpg

from the corner where I am to that brown turd in the middle is about 30,000, right around the cut-off point.

B) I'm working on testing the wide area limits, and making a map where you can travel long distances overland. It's starting to shape up a bit, may have something to show in a month or two if I keep at it :blush:

That one doesn't, but others of similar overall size but different more broken up layout work fine. I've found that several rooms spread around can all together total up to about 25% of the "ground" area (looking at the Top view)

Here is a pic of one that works fine:

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/oddpics/testmap.jpg

In game I can see down the whole hallway on the left side, and with my pm_walkspeed set at 90 it still took me over 10 minutes real-time to RUN down the length of it!

I think we should make the standard shortcuts compatible to the UK keyboard anyway. I only used the values I found hardcoded in the GtkRadiant code and moved them into the input.xml file, but if they are not working on the majority of keyboards, it should be changed.

What shortcuts did you choose?

I used Ctrl-KP_Subtract and Ctrl-KP_Add which seems to work OK.