The Dark Mod Forums

Mayhem Intergalactic released

Crispy

In case y'all were wondering what I've been doing when I'm not at uni or working on TDM, here it is: Mayhem Intergalactic

Screenshot (click to enlarge):

mayhemig1_sm.jpg

It's a streamlined strategy game, set in space. The rules are pretty simple, so it makes for a fun arcade-y blast with a couple of friends. It manages to be fairly fast-paced even though it's turn-based. It can be played in singleplayer (against the AI) or multiplayer (Internet and LAN play supported).

And as of last night my time, it's now on sale for the low, low price of $19.99 USD. :)

There's a free demo (9.5 MB) which provides the standard singleplayer game and a taste of multiplayer. Windows only at the moment, but I have Linux and Mac ports at varying stages of completion.

Enjoy! Let me know what you think.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

There are certain similarities, yes. :) There are differences, though; in Mayhem Intergalactic the gameplay is intentionally simplified and streamlined, to make it flow a little better and make it easier to get into. There's only one ship type, for example; upgrading your planets produces more ships rather than better ones.

A friend of mine called it "arcade strategy", which I think is very appropriate. You could look at it as combining the interesting tactics from turn-based strategy games with the arcade game format, where games are simple but fun and fast-paced.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

What did you make it with? I've had a brief look at, and play around with, Blitz3d and it looks pretty similar to some of things people have produced with Blitz basic. Either that or Dark Basic. Downloading the demo in a few minutes BTW, it does look very good. :)

Nope, not Blitz - it's made using the D programming language, using SDL with OpenGL for graphics.

Hope you like it. :)

Demo downloaded.

Sounds like a good idea that I wouldn't have thought would be that good at first, but on reflection it really is a good idea.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks! I think it's fun, anyway. :)

Nice little game, reminds me of Risk.

After playing a few rounds, I would like to provide a bit feedback:

- I dearly miss a Move All button (Right-Click-Drag?) to bypass the "Leave behind" window

- A selection frame to issue a command to multiple ships at once would be nice

- I like Holst's Mars, but after a while it gets on my nerves. Something less dramatic and more ambient would maybe be better suited for longer games. Also, it crackles and pops for some reason on my machine. The ogg itself is fine when I played it in winamp, so maybe the problem is with the vorbis module?

- The graphics could do with a wee bit more bling. Alternatively, I could imagine a very "strategic" look (triangles for the ships, circles of different size for the planets, dotted lines, spacey background) to work well. You know, the stuff you'd expect on a strategic console in Star Wars. ;)

Nice little game, reminds me of Risk.

After playing a few rounds, I would like to provide a bit feedback:

- I dearly miss a Move All button (Right-Click-Drag?) to bypass the "Leave behind" window

Maybe I should allow holding down shift to override the ship dialogs. At the moment I just keep one hand on the mouse and the other over "Enter".

I dunno about right-click drag. Right-clicking sends ships already, so having right-click-drag perform a different function would be confusing. Maybe middle-click-drag could set a rally point and leave nobody behind, whereas middle-click could set a rally point and ask you how many to leave behind.

- A selection frame to issue a command to multiple ships at once would be nice

Yes, it would. It's on my list; no telling when/if I'll get to it though.

- I like Holst's Mars, but after a while it gets on my nerves. Something less dramatic and more ambient would maybe be better suited for longer games. Also, it crackles and pops for some reason on my machine. The ogg itself is fine when I played it in winamp, so maybe the problem is with the vorbis module?

Hmm... darn. Haven't heard of the crackling problem before, that's annoying. Do the sound effects crackle as well or is it just the music?

I like the music (though I take your point), and so do about half the people I've asked, and the other half don't. More variety would be nice but it's not a priority right now. If you don't like it, turn it off. ;)

- The graphics could do with a wee bit more bling. Alternatively, I could imagine a very "strategic" look (triangles for the ships, circles of different size for the planets, dotted lines, spacey background) to work well. You know, the stuff you'd expect on a strategic console in Star Wars. ;)

More bling is also on the to-do list.

Two more tips, from my experience with it:

1. A Linux version. I don't want to have to reboot to test it out again right now.

2. I've only played the AI up to "Average", thus far, but they strike me as being pitifully easy. What currently is "average" should instead be easy.

Linux version is coming.

The AI is deliberately painfully easy on easier settings. This is intended to allow people to figure out how to play the game without getting slaughtered because they don't know how to move (or that they should). Maybe I overdid it. :) Try the hardest difficulty setting and see what you think. It does need improving; that, too, is on my list; but it generally puts up a fair fight before I beat it.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'll increase the difficulty gradient when I improve the "highest"-level AI.