The Dark Mod Forums

Interesting Interview about Fallout III

Arumakani

Zelda, especially OoT, is a great game. If you discard a game just because of a graphics style, I can say that you have a very shallow and nearsighted taste in games. OoT is open world, detailed, has a proper storyline, has good gameplay mechanics, and a good soundtrack to boot. There are plenty of games with blood and gore and darkness these days. I find games like Zelda, the flashy ones, a breath of fresh air.

Morrowind and Oblivion have a big world and it's bound to be clone-like, yet there is no RPG like them. They are made in their own genre. You simply don't like that genre. Go make a game that big with that much detail and with those graphics, and I want you see accomplish that. It's simply impossible to do in such a short time, so it's kinda pointless to attack a game with a huge world for being repetitive.

Neverwinter Nights is decent enough. I don't know much about BG, neither is it relevant, NWN itself is not a very good game but I got tons of fun out of it. If you expected to get BG out of a game named NWN, you are delusional.

Final Fantasy is recognized worldwide, it's certainly played by many people. The series has plenty of merits, and I am pretty sure you only dislike it because of the graphics style, tut-tut...

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Morrowind and Oblivion are shallow and repetitive. How difficult they were to make is completely irrelevant.

If "shallow and repetitive RPG" counts as a separate genre, then it's a pretty massive one. :P

And FF7 does suck. Its only saving grace is that the plot is slightly less crap than in other RPGs. It would make a better movie than a game. (Yes, I've seen Advent Children. I enjoyed it more than FF7 itself, even though I didn't finish FF7 so I didn't know what the hell was going on. There were some decent action sequences which kept me entertained for a while.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I got a lot of fun out of Oblivion (not so much Morrowind). It really depends on how you play it.

I didn't play FF7, I played FFX and I loved it, that's all I can say.

What other way is there to play Oblivion? You do some typical fantasy RPG quests, wander around in the samey wilderness for a while exploring, and on the occasion that you run into something hostile hit "attack" until you win. It held my attention for a little while, mainly because of the graphics; then I got bored and quit.

I'm not saying shallow and repetitive can't be fun for a while. I enjoyed Morrowind while it lasted. Then I realised "man, this exploring is getting boring, everything looks the same", so I quit.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Zelda, especially OoT, is a great game. If you discard a game just because of a graphics style, I can say that you have a very shallow and nearsighted taste in games. OoT is open world, detailed, has a proper storyline, has good gameplay mechanics, and a good soundtrack to boot. There are plenty of games with blood and gore and darkness these days. I find games like Zelda, the flashy ones, a breath of fresh air.

Well I can only feel sorry for you then, a grown man sitting in his room playing games designed for little kids to play. Next you'll be telling us you like Harry Potter and have read all the books and seen all the movies, ans watch kids TV like teletubbies, because exactly the same argument you applied for adults playing zelda can be applied to that.

Morrowind and Oblivion have a big world and it's bound to be clone-like, yet there is no RPG like them. They are made in their own genre. You simply don't like that genre. Go make a game that big with that much detail and with those graphics, and I want you see accomplish that. It's simply impossible to do in such a short time, so it's kinda pointless to attack a game with a huge world for being repetitive.

There's no value whatsoever in a big world with a thousand AI, if it's dead. How can anyone derive any pleasure from interacting with what appear to be robots with not a single personality between them, and go hunting in the same cloned cave every 50 meters along the road for the same couple of boring monster types (and the creatures in elder scrolls are the most tedious ever conceived for a game) An RPG that gives no sense of exploration and no sense of interaction with AI is a total failure.

Compare those games to a game like Gothic 1/2 and you'll soon see the difference and how a big RPG world like that should be made. Gothic didn't have the same level of detail, but it had what counts, which is an explorable world and AI that made a good attempt at appearing real and alive.

Neverwinter Nights is decent enough. I don't know much about BG, neither is it relevant, NWN itself is not a very good game but I got tons of fun out of it. If you expected to get BG out of a game named NWN, you are delusional.

Not when they advertised in BGII that you could take you existing character/party and bring it into NWN, the same way you could do from BG1 to BG11.

In the beginning, they clearly advertised NWN as a successor/sequel to BG, so it's entirely fair to compare them.

Final Fantasy is recognized worldwide, it's certainly played by many people.

Yes, by geeks and those weirdo Japs, that's what I said. It's not recognised by me however, except as something that goes on the bottom of the (gigantic) list of worse games ever made.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Christ almighty, but you've got a terrible taste in games. I'm surprised you even like Thief, since it stands out a mile on that list of crap you just gave as your favourites.

Shenmue1&2 were a brilliant games, and Ocarina aswell as Minishcap, Windwaker etc. Final Fantasy VII was a class game.

Stealth games are cool too, like Splinter Cell, but Thief is in a whole different league to it. Not only are the mechanics better, the story and setting are too. Also Garrett is without doubt the best game character I've personally played as.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Well I can only feel sorry for you then, a grown man sitting in his room playing games designed for little kids to play.
Show me a game like OoT which is not kiddish and I will play it. But the only games designed like OoT that I know of are heXen and Turok 2, and very few others (that mostly suck). The genre of of hub-based fantasy fast-paced games is extinct, and OoT is one of the few ones that I found in addition. There is no game like heXen, Turok, or OoT, and until that genre becomes popular, I'd play anything from it as long as it's worthwhile. Graphics to me don't matter. Your statement that adults can't play games like OoT is similar to football athletes saying tennis is a girly sport.

Next you'll be telling us you like Harry Potter and have read all the books and seen all the movies
I read the books, that's where I learned my English from, and I'd like to see you read Harry Potter in a language you know 5 words in. Tell me how "childish" that is.

ans watch kids TV like teletubbies, because exactly the same argument you applied for adults playing zelda can be applied to that.
No, it can't. TV is not interactive, and is limited in video image. OoT is a lot more than just that video image that annoys you so much. I understand that graphics ward you off, but please don't call a great game horrible just because it was intended for children, but it has such high gameplay quality that adults love it, too.

There's no value whatsoever in a big world with a thousand AI, if it's dead.
No value for you doesn't mean no value for me. It's a battleground for me where I can forge my own history, especially with the editor. The thing about Oblivion is that it doesn't really matter what you do in it. You do not appreciate that, I understand. I do.

Compare those games to a game like Gothic 1/2 and you'll soon see the difference and how a big RPG world like that should be made.
I love Gothic 1 (Gothic 2 wasn't my cup of tea, or Gothic 3), and I like it better than Oblivion, but I also think it's pointless to compare it to Oblivion. Moreover, Oblivion is not what I call an RPG. It's more of a free ride action game with dialogs for me, but not really what I view as an RPG.

Gothic didn't have the same level of detail, but it had what counts, which is an explorable world and AI that made a good attempt at appearing real and alive.
You can accept Gothic with a low amount of detail, but not OoT with childish design? Inconsistency.

Not when they advertised in BGII that you could take you existing character/party and bring it into NWN, the same way you could do from BG1 to BG11. In the beginning, they clearly advertised NWN as a successor/sequel to BG, so it's entirely fair to compare them.
If you actually believe advertisements, I wonder how you live. Advertisements are a bureaucracy curse, they are to be completely ignored, disbelieved, and despised. To consider what a game represents you look at what company made it, the name, the team, the design, and the gameplay. Not what someone said in the PR department to make the game sell a bit better. That has nothing to do with the programmers and designers of that game, they did not generate that advertisement.

Speaking of advertisement, this may give someone a laugh, a guy criticizing Bethesda's Fallout 3 promotion tactic and Fallout 3 previews: http://www.diablo3.com/forums/showpost.php...amp;postcount=1

Yes, by geeks and those weirdo Japs, that's what I said. It's not recognised by me however, except as something that goes on the bottom of the (gigantic) list of worse games ever made.
And you are...? What makes you better than people who like FF?

You remind me of this guy from Twin Peaks, Albert. He was really good at something, too. But he was an ass. And that's what the sheriff told Albert: "I hear that you are real good at what you do. And, well, that's very good. 'Cause normally when a stranger walked into my station talking this kind of crap, he'd be looking for his teeth two blocks up on Queer Street."

But I am used to such ignorance. I got kicked out of an IRC channel for liking LEXX and got accepted into another channel for the same reason. Members of the StarCraft Battle.net think I am some freak because they believe StarCraft and girls don't go together. Then again some guys don't want to talk to me because they are aware that I think bisexuals and homosexuals are people, too. All I can say that, unless you change your attitude, and stop being so shut down, you'll miss out on a lot of things in life, be it games, people, or anything else. Perhaps you like it that way, I don't know.

Show me a game like OoT which is not kiddish and I will play it. But the only games designed like OoT that I know of are heXen and Turok 2, and very few others (that mostly suck). The genre of of hub-based fantasy fast-paced games is extinct, and OoT is one of the few ones that I found in addition. There is no game like heXen, Turok, or OoT, and until that genre becomes popular, I'd play anything from it as long as it's worthwhile. Graphics to me don't matter. Your statement that adults can't play games like OoT is similar to football athletes saying tennis is a girly sport.

No, it can't. TV is not interactive, and is limited in video image. OoT is a lot more than just that video image that annoys you so much. I understand that graphics ward you off, but please don't call a great game horrible just because it was intended for children, but it has such high gameplay quality that adults love it, too.

It doesn't just look and sound cute and childish, the story is like a nursery rhyme, and the gameplay consists of silly little puzzles, most of them extremely obvious to anyone but a 9 year old, it's like a grown man sitting on a train with a puzzle book for kids with join-the-dots games in it, and drawings to colour in with crayons, while everyone else is playing sudoku.

I read the books, that's where I learned my English from, and I'd like to see you read Harry Potter in a language you know 5 words in. Tell me how "childish" that is.

Don't be ridiculous, you can't learn a language by reading a foreign book, unless you have some pre-existing knowledge of the language, or some kind of rosetta stone for transcription purposes, such as a copy of the book in your own language as well.

How could I learn Russian only by reading a Russian novel, I don't know a single Russian word, and never would no matter how long I stared at the pages.

You obviously had many other resources available to you for learning English, and reading English novels did nothing but help straighten out your grammar a little.

No value for you doesn't mean no value for me. It's a battleground for me where I can forge my own history, especially with the editor. The thing about Oblivion is that it doesn't really matter what you do in it. You do not appreciate that, I understand. I do.

I accept you're quite a strange person, but don't go too far. I consider people like you who sit in their bedroom obsessively playing a game like oblivion, writing their own great history as a master wizard or wha tever and fantasising about it, to be one step away from the sort of people who go on the rampage with a gun, because they think they're getting messages from aliens.

When I play computer games (which is very rare these days) it's on a very superficial level, since I realise they're nothing but a mild distraction, a way of passing some time for people who can't think of any more constructive ways of spending it.

You can accept Gothic with a low amount of detail, but not OoT with childish design? Inconsistency.

The quality of graphics do not bother me, Thief for example had pretty bad graphics, but it's the style of the graphics that count, and both Thief and Gothic had great style, even if they were technically not very advanced.

Zelda had quite technically advanced graphics for that time, but the style is stupid, to fit in with the generally kiddie feel of the whole game. That's the Japs for you though, those guys can't get enough of cute little cartoon anime figures of children, and even make sex cartoons with them.

I don't share any tastes with the Japanese, which is no doubt why I hate games like Zelda and Final Fantasy.

If you actually believe advertisements, I wonder how you live. Advertisements are a bureaucracy curse, they are to be completely ignored, disbelieved, and despised. To consider what a game represents you look at what company made it, the name, the team, the design, and the gameplay. Not what someone said in the PR department to make the game sell a bit better. That has nothing to do with the programmers and designers of that game, they did not generate that advertisement.

*sigh* It wasn't an advertisement, it was part of the in-game tips that appeared on loading screens. NWN was already in the works before BGII was finished, and was being planned at that stage as a sequel, and so I judge it as a sequel, and a very poor one. The fact that halfway through development they decided not to make it a sequel does not get them off the hook.

And you are...? What makes you better than people who like FF?

The fact that I don't like FF makes me better than people who like FF.

But I am used to such ignorance. I got kicked out of an IRC channel for liking LEXX and got accepted into another channel for the same reason. Members of the StarCraft Battle.net think I am some freak because they believe StarCraft and girls don't go together.

Stop right there, that's all I need to know, you actually hang around IRC channels talking about starcraft, and no doubt various other games. You are clearly some sort of game-obsessed weirdo. Exactly just how much of your life have you wasted playing, or fantasising or talking about computer games anyway? 1/2? 2/3? You talk about games in a serious way, as if they actually matter.

Anyway, I can tell you're quite a young person, so I'll assume for your sake that you'll grow out of all this nonsense at some point in the future.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

To Komaq

Who are you talking to?

It doesn't just look and sound cute and childish, the story is like a nursery rhyme, and the gameplay consists of silly little puzzles, most of them extremely obvious to anyone but a 9 year old, it's like a grown man sitting on a train with a puzzle book for kids with join-the-dots games in it, and drawings to colour in with crayons, while everyone else is playing sudoku.
If you want hard puzzles, there's always Riven. A great game, too. But I certainly don't like OoT for puzzles.

"Don't be ridiculous, you can't learn a language by reading a foreign book, unless you have some pre-existing knowledge of the language, or some kind of rosetta stone for transcription purposes, such as a copy of the book in your own language as well."

I had a Russian-English vocabulary. At first I was translating every word but then I just started ramming though it...

"How could I learn Russian only by reading a Russian novel, I don't know a single Russian word, and never would no matter how long I stared at the pages"

Russian is a bad example, it's a lot more complicated than English. English is a very intuitive language. You need to know a few words, but what is more important is the ability to recognize a noun from a verb. My vocabulary was pretty non-existant, it wasn't even the 300 ESL words. I understand that not everyone can drone onto a book like that. I can.

"You obviously had many other resources available to you for learning English, and reading English novels did nothing but help straighten out your grammar a little."

Complete rubbish. The vast majority of my vocabulary, and pretty much 90% of my grammar knowledge and feel (since learning English grammar through rules is pointless) came from Harry Potter. You obviously have no idea how the brain works when it reads books do you? Never tried it yourself, have you?

I accept you're quite a strange person, but don't go too far.
I go as far as I want to go, and I find proper to go.

I consider people like you who sit in their bedroom obsessively playing a game like oblivion, writing their own great history as a master wizard or wha tever and fantasising about it
And where did you draw that conclusion? What tells you that I am obsessed with Oblivion, for that matter? Last game I played was Lander for like an hour (that game won't let you play it too long). I haven't had Oblivion installed for like a year now.

When I play computer games (which is very rare these days) it's on a very superficial level, since I realise they're nothing but a mild distraction, a way of passing some time for people who can't think of any more constructive ways of spending it.
Well, that's your opinion on games. But not mine.

It wasn't an advertisement, it was part of the in-game tips that appeared on loading screens.
I wouldn't know, didn't play BG much. I played NWN as NWN.

The fact that I don't like FF makes me better than people who like FF.
Nope it doesn't. It just means you don't like certain games, that's all...

Stop right there, that's all I need to know, you actually hang around IRC channels
And you hang around a forum. I don't see a difference. IRC is just another medium (which I only use for the Project Offset game at the moment because, you know, the forums are down). You should understand that the medium is not the message if you have brains.

talking about starcraft
Oh, but, you know, while people join games on SC, they also sit in bnet, discussing the game, which is pretty normal for anyone who wants to be good in that game.

You are clearly some sort of game-obsessed weirdo.
Where the heck did that came from? lol I am probably less obsessed than most people on this forum.

<quote>First of all, what matters or what doesn't each person decides for themselves. To some, music making matters, or drawing matters; to me, computers, and what they include, particulary programming and gaming matters, and also I watched movies who's names you probably never heard of. Gaming is a hobby just like anything else is. Even then, I don't spend that much time on them. I actually do my homework, and I have some sports to do, and I read (reading Dune at the moment), I exercise, I expore the robotics field on occassion, I program, and I play my games. Don't accuse me of the obsessed scheme, please. I simply don't agree with the label of "horrible" applied to a game that perhaps is not great, but is certainly not horrible.

"Anyway, I can tell you're quite a young person, so I'll assume for your sake that you'll grow out of all this nonsense at some point in the future."

I am only 17, and already a lot more mature than you are, and I suggest you are past 20. That's kinda sad.

Edited by Forsaken

So you're a kid then, no wonder you like Zelda and Final Fantasy, they are games aimed at your age group. Why didn't you just say that in the first place. You were 7 when OoT was released.

- Emil Zola

character models site

OoT was released when I was a kid, but I didn't play any of the Legend of Zelda series until adulthood. The only encounter I had with LoZ before then was Super Smash Brothers; I hadn't even heard of the series. What hooked me to the series was how it set my imagination on overdrive. It wasn't just a fairytale anymore. There was tragedy. There was romance.* It had adult themes that were hampered by the technology of the day. It wasn't just a child's story; there was actually something to it.

*Knowing that Sheik was a woman probably significantly affected my perception of the game. Speeches about "friendship" became a teenaged girl wanting what she cannot have (Link is supposed to think she is a man, and romantic relations gets in the way of that) instead of the sappy, childish Aesops that it would have seemed otherwise. This is where voice acting would have helped significantly. An adult would recognize Sheik as crossdressing, but a child would still take those friendship speeches at face value, even if they noticed that she was actually female.

Which LoZ did you play, anyway? (I don't remember the story well)

So you're a kid then, no wonder you like Zelda and Final Fantasy, they are games aimed at your age group. Why didn't you just say that in the first place. You were 7 when OoT was released.
You, sir, are an idiot. But I guess I shouldn't be stating the obvious. Edited by Forsaken

Ha, which book did you get thay one from, HArry potter or Teletubbies have a Picnic.

OoT was released when I was a kid, but I didn't play any of the Legend of Zelda series until adulthood. The only encounter I had with LoZ before then was Super Smash Brothers; I hadn't even heard of the series. What hooked me to the series was how it set my imagination on overdrive. It wasn't just a fairytale anymore. There was tragedy. There was romance.* It had adult themes that were hampered by the technology of the day. It wasn't just a child's story; there was actually something to it.

OoT was released 10 years ago, so if you were a kid 10 years ago, and I assume you played OoT several years ago, you can't have been more than a mid-teenager.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I wonder if you ever played OoT, without being biased towards it.

No, but I played the first Zelda game when it was released, I was in my mid teens then, and Zelda was a new concept in gaming. You kids can't appreciate it these days, since you're so used to massive RPGs.

It was also nowhere near as cute and childlike as the N64 Zeldas.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I still enjoy the Zelda games, personally, but probably only because of the reminiscence aspect. The most "childish" game I've played recently was Paper Mario for the Gamecube, which was actually a pretty fun game in a lot of respects.

I wouldn't go so far as to saying that any of the Zelda games have "adult themes". They're fundamentally simple games targeted toward younger gamers, and the themes are no more mature than any 1990's animated Disney flick.

Well, I didn't play it for the themes. I played it for the hub system.

...and the themes are no more mature than any 1990's animated Disney flick.

although the overall themes of movies like Aladdin are easily accessible by 8 year olds, it doesn't mean an adult won't get more out of them.

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

Oddity, you are absolutely hilarious heh

Personally my beef with Ocarina of Time was that its the same game as Link to the Past only in 3d and a few extras. The story-line is basically the same, the puzzles are the same, the locations, enemies, items; even most of the BOSSES are even the same for the most part.

I loved Link to the Past. It was immersive, fun to explore, the puzzles were great, the dungeons challenging. I explored every inch of that game and I think most people did. The art style was great too and overall, it was just a blast I could replay over and over (I'd buy a GBA just to play it on a long flight). I played Ocarina of Time and I did like it, though not as much as LttP.

Windwaker on the other hand I couldn't stand. The childishness of it was unbearable (Tinkle especially so). The dungeon puzzles were all the SAME as all the previous games. The world was so huge it wasn't really that fun to explore anymore (not to mention time consuming to sail around...).

I really tried hard to beat it but I simply couldn't bring myself too. I got to Ganon's tower the second time around and then they thrust you back into the world to go collect fairy shit and run more errands.

Fuck.

That.

Never played the new zelda and frankly I'm not really interested. I've already played the same game nearly three times over in past incarnations and I'm tired of it. I'm not going to play OoT with "souped up" Wii graphics and two extras that somehow denote that the game should have a different title.

But yeah, one appeal of the Zelda games (as well as Mario) is nostalgia. It makes me feel like a kid again to play them.

Edited by Ombrenuit

Which LoZ did you play, anyway? (I don't remember the story well)

I was speaking of OoT, but I've since played Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and some of Wind Waker.

OoT was released 10 years ago, so if you were a kid 10 years ago, and I assume you played OoT several years ago, you can't have been more than a mid-teenager.

I typically use kid to mean anyone who is not an adult, but in this case I actually did mean pre-teen (albeit only just).

I wouldn't go so far as to saying that any of the Zelda games have "adult themes". They're fundamentally simple games targeted toward younger gamers, and the themes are no more mature than any 1990's animated Disney flick.

With the exceptions of Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, I agree with you. The point I was trying to make was that my imagination read those adult themes into the game. Very, very few games inspire me the way the Legend of Zelda series does. That reason alone is enough for me to hold the series in highest prestige.

I attribute part of OoT's ability to send my imagination into overdrive to the somewhat bare-bones presentation of the plot. By providing very little, I was able to read into it more, turning a short story into a virtual novel. (As a side note, I think that Peter Molyneux was actually trying to do this deliberately with Fable.)