The Dark Mod Forums

Need help with Bittorrent

Maximius

Im trying to get into using some sort of torrent download thingy, can anyone get me started? Whats a good program, and are there any good websites that walk you through? I found a few to read but I get lost real fast when they start talking about assigning ports and stuff like that.

Use utorrent. There's nothing tricky to set up, just install it, though make sure you limit the upload speed to something like half of your capacity.

It's not a system hog like most other clients.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I use Azureus which is pretty good. Do you want to run it on Windows?

I did try Azureus but found it a little confusing, there was some security plugin I was supposed to install but Im not sure if I did correctly. Yes its for Windows

Use utorrent. There's nothing tricky to set up, just install it, though make sure you limit the upload speed to something like half of your capacity.

It's not a system hog like most other clients.

Ill chek it out thanks guys.

Edited by Maximius

I am not a fan of Azureus. It kills my computer (performance-wise) and it feels unresponsive. That's when it doesn't crash outright.

More recently I started using "the" BitTorrent client (the original), and I'm quite happy with it. I think some of my friends use utorrent.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I am not a fan of Azureus. It kills my computer (performance-wise) and it feels unresponsive. That's when it doesn't crash outright.

I'm running Azureus 24/7 on my server machine. Once in a month I have to stop and restart it, because it hogs the machine. Depends on how much I do though. Otherwise it's pretty stable and nice. :)

I tried to run it on a windows machine as well, but it didn't work out. After less then 24 hours the machine didn't work anymore and I had to reboot it. Since the code is the same on both machines, I assume that the Java implementation on Windows might suck.

Running it on Linux is quite ok though.

Gerhard

I've been using Azureus for a few months now with no problems at all. My only gripe is sometimes I only want a few of the files downloaded from a torrent, so I deselect the others, but then I still get filenames for them that show the filesize as what they would have been even though they are actually zero, so if I forget which ones I didn't want I have to click on everything to see which ones aren't really there!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Personally I use BitSpirit, which is good if you live in the States. My ISP limits the number of clients you can leech from, and essentially BitSpirit is one of the few clients that allows you to get around that in my experience.

The only other thing that I would suggest is to open the ports you use your torrents with, it can make the difference between 10 kb/s and 500. To do that you have to access your modem by inputing your ip address into your address bar. But the actual process is different for every modem and generally it can be a real pain.

I bittorrent tv shows, like Star Trek and junk. I just finished watching the Highlander series last week. I never download games, it just feels too wrong to me (whereas old TV shows seem pretty harmless to my moral sensitivies)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Oh my gosh! What a bunch of taffers! :blink: I buy my games through Ebay. Usually get em for a lot less than retail. Hitman: Blood money cost me like 13$ and it costs 30$ at the store. =).

Your assuming quite a bit there.

I use uTorrent for Lost, Heroes, Tour De France (Dont get any coverage here sigh ), Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who. They dont start airing Doctor Who over here in the states until its almost completely done in the UK.

I do not have a pvr and havent bothered building a computer to do it yet. Not to mention with satellite its a bit more difficult.

Have yet to download a game unless its a paid download(Except free ones of course). I buy my games.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

Same here. I only use it for TV shows, and even then only very occasionally.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I download all games. And the few that are good I buy. Or I download the games that I already have bought, because I want to have a backup, and it's quite convenient to download them instead of trying to make a copy and see if it works. There are so few games that are good, that it's not worth the cheat them and I also want to support the developers for these games. But most of the time I don't use bittorent for games anyway, because I don't have time to play them anyway. I think in the last half year I downloaded probably about five games, where three of them I purchased and the other ones were deleted because they were crap, so I wouldn't want to spend money on them.

Most of the time I host Linux distribution to help spreading it.

Gerhard

I recommend either the original in python implementation or bittornado, also in python i think. They've been running on my pentium 200 for a year hosting translated anime and stuff without giving errors or exceeding 30% cpu usage. With around 40 torrents spread over 2 hard drives, about 30 people average per torrent connected. netstat would dump a very long list of people everytime i checked it. I stopped when I confused something about nfs configuration and various ssh servers I was running, since the computer was also the nfs server for Giantdisc and I noticed some evil guy was rummaging around my system hard drive, looking for space to host warez. That's when I got tired, and betrodden with academics, and pulled the plug. Soon after the power supply fan failed, but I've since soldered on one from another power supply.