The Dark Mod Forums

PinkDot's textures

PinkDot

I'll be showing my textures in this thread. For a start three snow textures (some of them share diffuse or specular). Here come: smooth, rough and rubbles covered with snow (may suit ruined houses such as jdude's one).

snow_smooth.jpg

snow_rough.jpg

snow_rubble.jpg

These are very clean ones - next textures will be more dirty, with grass or cobbles coming out, with footsteps etc...

Feedback welcome :)

For the roofs and cobbles it would make sense to use our existing textures, I think. Do I have to download them from hires repository or they're still somewhere in the main one?

For the roofs and cobbles it would make sense to use our existing textures, I think. Do I have to download them from hires repository or they're still somewhere in the main one?

The snow TGA textures can be found here:

https://darkmod.homelinux.com/svn/darkmod_h...xtures/darkmod/

The snow TGA textures can be found here:

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was looking for our hires cobbles and roof textures, so I can make snowy variations of them. But actually that link points to main texture folder, as far as I can see.

Thanks!

Yellow spots!

? ? ?

Thanks Mike. I used plain snow texture as a base and one another for brightness variations. Everything else is a result of dozens of filters, brightness and contrast corrections and manual work (mostly visible in rubble normal map). Maybe one day I'll get myself to make kind of texture making tutorial or tips&tricks.

Never eat the yellow snow... and all that

Must be a local joke or something... :wacko: Wait, do you mean urine? :unsure: In fact we could make such decal to make maps more realistic.... :ph34r:

We definitely should have urine decals, and footstep decals as well (animal and human). Come to think of it, I'm going to add steaming pile of crap to our model list. We've been clean for too long, dammit! :)

Steaming even :D

umm, OK.

I do think footsteps would be cool. I think it was an X-men playstation game Wolverine that ai left footprints as they walked, can we script Ai to 'drop' footstep decals in snow or dirt?

(I'm sure that wasn't the only game I've played that had the feature)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Don't forget the steam particle effect!

Re: visible footsteps - I don't think it's available in standard D3. But we can add new anim frame commands, and we can write code to project decals onto surfaces, so I see no technical reason why we couldn't add footstep decals ourselves. It's a lot of work for not much benefit though.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

There would be the benefit that we could program the AI to recognize bootprints and possibly track the player--so long as the player has a way of removing the footprints.

It would be great to make it a gameplay feature. But I haven't seen any engine keeping footprints on snow for more than 30 sec. or more than 20-30 of them... With strong snowfalss footprints could dissapear gradually, which would help the performance (and player as well ;) ) but not all snowy mission have strong snowfalls..

There would be the benefit that we could program the AI to recognize bootprints and possibly track the player--so long as the player has a way of removing the footprints.

And don't forget the benefit of working on this mod for another four years because we keep adding features long after feature-freeze. :P

And don't forget the benefit of working on this mod for another four years because we keep adding features long after feature-freeze. :P

Ouch! :P

Yeah, I don't know about making it a gameplay feature either. It would have performance implications (both w.r.t. AI, and rendering unless you deleted older decals, in which case it would be somewhat useless as a gameplay feature). As minor eyecandy it would work fine, but then it would just be minor eyecandy and therefore low priority.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

We discussed and dismissed that idea some time ago. Too much trouble, too little benefit.

Just a reminder for the sake of repository size: with those 3 above, this brings our fairly-similar-looking snow materials count to 5, I believe (ones similar to shots 1 & 2 above exist). How many do we want/need? I only mention this for snow because there's only so much variation possible in a fuzzy white surface. :)