The Dark Mod Forums

What a CRU Dataport?

Maximius

Never heard of 'em before.

Google turned up their website - have you tried poking around there?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Never heard of 'em before.

Google turned up their website - have you tried poking around there?

Yes, it appears to be a kind of portable, secure hard drive that you can unlock and pull out of your computer.

I have a metal box with a kind of hard drive in it, but I dont have the frame it fits into which in turn fits into your computer case. The ports in the back of the hard drive wont accept the standard IDE or whatever cable that HDs take.

Edited by Maximius

What do the ports look like? Do any of them look like they fit SCSI or SATA cables?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I'll take it if you don't want it and sell it on Ebay ! Maybe you should find it's rightful owner. What is address on package? Maybe he/she give reward or you get karma points like Fallout. I say you should!

Thats the weird thing, neighbor lady said it was in the mail pile but there is no address on the box now that I look at it, so it could not have been from the mailman. And the box was not sealed either, just a cardboard tab tucked in. I wonder who dumped it into our mailslot? Someone returned it to the wrong house.

What do the ports look like? Do any of them look like they fit SCSI or SATA cables?

It has SATA connections in the back actually, they look exactly like this picture:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9794/satapic1la2.jpg

That is SATA right? My computer has the IDE ribbons or whatever, would it be possible to purchase a SATA cable setup and install it? I could use a ton of new memory right now, in fact I can't even install D3 at this point I have so much crap on my HD.

DataPort, The Original removable storage enclosure, is the de facto industry standard for rugged and reliable hard drive protection. DataPort products are backed by the industries best warranties, lifetime toll-free tech support and customer-friendly RMA policies.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/htmldocs/products/index.html

I think what you have is to protect a hard drive but that's about it :o.

there is no address on the box now that I look at it, so it could not have been from the mailman. And the box was not sealed either

Is it ticking...?

DataPort, The Original removable storage enclosure, is the de facto industry standard for rugged and reliable hard drive protection. DataPort products are backed by the industries best warranties, lifetime toll-free tech support and customer-friendly RMA policies.

http://www.cru-dataport.com/htmldocs/products/index.html

I think what you have is to protect a hard drive but that's about it :o.

No I actually have a hard drive here, its the security frame thats missing. I have to figure out how to attach these SATA cables to my computer. I wonder it they are compatible?

Is it ticking...?

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking along those lines... :ph34r:

Remember guys, I live in Philadelphia, when someone wants you dead a fifteen year old rides up on a scooter and blows your head off. No one "bombs" people here anymore, sheesh, how passe'. ;)

Does your motherboard support SATA? If so, great, just plug it in. If not, you'd need an adapter or SATA expansion card of some kind.

Most new motherboards support SATA, but it's still fairly recent, so if your computer is more than a couple of years old then you probably don't have it built-in.

Does your motherboard support SATA? If so, great, just plug it in. If not, you'd need an adapter or SATA expansion card of some kind.

Most new motherboards support SATA, but it's still fairly recent, so if your computer is more than a couple of years old then you probably don't have it built-in.

Its a Dell 1.33 Ghz IIrC, it should support SATA, Ill check for certain.

So this is what happens to those products that get lost in the mail :)

I'm pretty sure this was someone dropping this thing off who got the wrong house, not the mailman. If I find naked pictures of any of my neighbors, Ill know whose it was. I hope to hell they aren't pictures of the two retired nuns who live next door...... :blink:

I guess this is one of those dilemmas where you have to look at the contents to see who the rightful owner is, but the rightful owner probably doesn't want anyone looking at the contents. My bet is 100,000 social security numbers from some private firm that the gov't outsourced something to. :)

I guess this is one of those dilemmas where you have to look at the contents to see who the rightful owner is, but the rightful owner probably doesn't want anyone looking at the contents. My bet is 100,000 social security numbers from some private firm that the gov't outsourced something to. :)

If I do see anything official like that, the answer is simple: format. B)