The Dark Mod Forums

QuArK Support?

Winkler Oszkár

Dear developers of The Dark Mod!

Sorry if someone already made a topic like this but I have to tell you about QuArK. It is an editor software (maps, models, etc.) for the games below:

Doom 3; 6DX; Crystal Space; Genesis 3D; Heretic 2; Half-Life 1-2; Hexen 2; JA; JK2; Kingpin; MOHAA; Quake 1-2-3-4; RTCW; RTCW-ET; Sin; SOF 1-2; STVEF; Sylphis; Torque; WildWest.

I am familiar with this software and I can tell you, it is the best I have ever experienced. Easy to use and it's really powerful. Maybe you already heard about it but what's on my mind: Have you ever considered to make a plugin version of The Dark Mod to QuArK, so QuArK users can easily handle the new situation? (sorry for my bad english...)

Here is the link for QuArK: http://quark.planetquake.gamespy.com/

Anyway, I am looking forward to your great work! I was created a map for Thief Gold in 2002 (The Item) but it was so hard to do with DromEd. (2,5 month of work) I hope your system with the Doom 3 engine will be better. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

I send you my best wishes: Oszkár Winkler

Hi, thanks for dropping by.

We are aware of Quark, but we already making our own customized editor. It's called Dark Radiant and is based on the open source GTK Radiant...which is similar to Quark in that it supports many games.

It would require a lot more work to fully support dark mod level editing than a simple plugin. Dark Mod has a LOT of special features that have required making specialized GUI's within radiant to use. Our custom sound selector, and Stim Response editor come to mind.

http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net

That said, if you absolutely positively cannot use anything except QuArK, you should be able to do most of your basic mapping (geometry, placing entities) in it using only vanilla D3 features, and then jump over to DarkRadiant for things like stim/response, objectives, and so on.

It's probably more straightforward to just learn DR though. It's a pretty sweet editor (light-years better than D3Ed, IMO, and that's not even counting TDM-specific features).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry if someone already made a topic like this but I have to tell you about QuArK. It is an editor software (maps, models, etc.) for the games below:

Doom 3; 6DX; Crystal Space; Genesis 3D; Heretic 2; Half-Life 1-2; Hexen 2; JA; JK2; Kingpin; MOHAA; Quake 1-2-3-4; RTCW; RTCW-ET; Sin; SOF 1-2; STVEF; Sylphis; Torque; WildWest.

What a coincidence. I'm admin of the 6DX project on SourceForge. I've just been recruited to TDM and this is one of the first posts I read. Taffin' spooky.

Quark is the recommended level editor for 6DX. I switched to GTKRadiant a few months ago but haven't built levels for 6DX as large as the ones I built with Quark. My main issue with Quark is that it's not C/C++ so you need the Delphi compiler to build it if you want to make source alterations. I only joined today but I'd expect TDM's GTKRadiant editor to already have many specific additions. And GTKRadiant can be compiled with my VS2005 IIRC. ;)

Yes, GtkRadiant can be compiled in VC++, but for DarkRadiant we've switched to scons (right at project start) to be compatible with other platforms too. It should of course be possible to get a VC++ working again though.

Yes, GtkRadiant can be compiled in VC++, but for DarkRadiant we've switched to scons (right at project start) to be compatible with other platforms too. It should of course be possible to get a VC++ working again though.

Note that Quark is Pascal (Borland Delphi). Switching it to compile with VS would be a major project. :wacko:

What do you mean "no". No to what? I wasn't even replying to you.

Are you kidding me? What about this post then? You were quoting me: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=122415

Note that Quark is Pascal (Borland Delphi). Switching it to compile with VS would be a major project. :wacko:

Or do I get something wrong here? :)

I was saying that converting Quark to Visual Studio is not possible without rewriting the whole thing in C++.

I didn't suggest that. Of course this would be a LOT of work.