The Dark Mod Forums

Noob modeling/texturing thread

Maximius

Is there a modeling program that *doesn't* have keyboard shortcuts?

The difference is that most applications ALSO provide shortcuts, while it is the basic design of Blender to be used with shortcuts and ALSO menus are provided. This has changed a bit since it became open source, but it still holds true enough.

Gerhard

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The difference is that most applications ALSO provide shortcuts, while it is the basic design of Blender to be used with shortcuts and ALSO menus are provided. This has changed a bit since it became open source, but it still holds true enough.

Precisely. Blender does not really have "keyboard shortcuts", the keyboard commands are the primary means of interacting with the application (like the Vi editor), with menus being added on afterwards to make it more accessible for new users.

Max shows the keyboard shortcuts in the start-up splash screen. Only 4 at a time, but if you watch em everytime it's a fairly easy way to learn. They can come in handy but I've never used too many of them, guess I like menus. Max's are laid out in a pretty intuitive way.

The keyboard thing in Blender got me right away. I don't think I was intimidated but I just didn't want to relearn modelling when I tried to import some models awhile back. I'm officially an old dog.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Something in Blender it throwing me, if anyone can assist. I've made a wine bottle and glass set, but something odd has taken place and I don't know how to change it back. I made the bottle first, and its still there, but now that I've been working on the glass I cannot select the bottle or interact with it in any way. Its still there, and there is this little dot down by the corner of its bounding box like a tab that I tried to select but cannot. Is it in a different layer or something? I did not select any new layers or anything that I can remember. I could just remake the whole thing and probably will anyway but if anyone can piece that together I would appreciate it.

Something in Blender it throwing me, if anyone can assist. I've made a wine bottle and glass set, but something odd has taken place and I don't know how to change it back. I made the bottle first, and its still there, but now that I've been working on the glass I cannot select the bottle or interact with it in any way.

What mode are you in. If you hit TAB to enter Edit mode for the glass, you will no longer be able to select the bottle until you hit TAB again to return to Object mode.

Not sure whats going on. I tried unlocking per Badcog and ALT mode switching per Orb but it only got me so far. When I hit alt, I can then move both objects around in object mode, but when I return to edit mode only the glass is selected. If I try to select the bottle in object mode, it selects both the glass and the object.

Heres a pic of the screen in object mode:

http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/29329/200...31176437_rs.jpg

Heres one in edit:

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/29131/200...99840177_rs.jpg

Thanks as usual!

Did you parent them (ALT-P)? IMO this would cause them to be selected together in object mode, but not in editing mode, because both are still seperate meshes.

Look up how to unparent them and see if it helps. I don't know it of the top of my head, so I would also have to look it up.

Gerhard

When I hit alt, I can then move both objects around in object mode, but when I return to edit mode only the glass is selected.

That would seem to be normal behaviour -- you can only Edit one mesh at a time.

If I try to select the bottle in object mode, it selects both the glass and the object.

Not sure what's going on there; it is possible that parenting has something to do with it as Sparhawk suggested.

Did you parent them (ALT-P)? IMO this would cause them to be selected together in object mode, but not in editing mode, because both are still seperate meshes.

Look up how to unparent them and see if it helps. I don't know it of the top of my head, so I would also have to look it up.

As I recall, CTRL-P is used for parenting, while ALT-P removes a parent relationship. Very often in Blender the ALT modifier is associated with undoing or removing an action.

This site asks me to browse the page using Internet Explorer. When I do that, it kindly offers me to download and install an actual EXE file just for downloading the hosted file. I don't even want to know what unspoken crap is included in that installer.

Please upload it somewhere else and promise me to never touch that site again!

I don't see any unusual in that file. I can select each model individual and do stuff with it. What's the problem? Which Blender version are you using? I have 2.44 and it appears to work like expected.

Maybe one thing. When you click on it, do you click on the large empty space in the mesh, or on some of the lines? I noticed, when I click in the empty space, the selection doesn't work, even though I would expect it to. Only when I click on a line of the mesh it get's selected. Since you made it very big resp. zoomed in, the "holes" are pretty big as well. Clicking on a line works though.

Gerhard

This site asks me to browse the page using Internet Explorer. When I do that, it kindly offers me to download and install an actual EXE file just for downloading the hosted file. I don't even want to know what unspoken crap is included in that installer.

OMG WTF? I don't even have IE so bye-bye "friendlyfiles".

Why would you need an EXE to download a freaking file? The only plausible conclusion is they want to infect your computer with spyware and other garbage.

Seriously, that has dodgy written all over it.

There are too many file-storage sites to choose from. I'll be happy after we have some Malthusian pruning to force the bulk of them to go the way of the Dodo. I thought that would have already happened years ago, though ... I guess the new blood that keeps coming into Internet means there will always be people trying to pull this stuff.

In modeling news, I'm understanding what a little setback can do to one's motivation when you aren't getting paid to do it.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't see any unusual in that file. I can select each model individual and do stuff with it. What's the problem? Which Blender version are you using? I have 2.44 and it appears to work like expected.

Maybe one thing. When you click on it, do you click on the large empty space in the mesh, or on some of the lines? I noticed, when I click in the empty space, the selection doesn't work, even though I would expect it to. Only when I click on a line of the mesh it get's selected. Since you made it very big resp. zoomed in, the "holes" are pretty big as well. Clicking on a line works though.

Jeebus H Crimpets, I figured it out, I wasn't hitting the Right mouse button to switch between them. What a pain in the ass that was. Oh well, on to more important things. Like how do I clone an object in Blender? Here is a current project:

http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/29218/200...30176044_rs.jpg

But I need to put four legs around the underside of that ring around the alembic, I don't want to make four unique ones but I cannot find a Clone function anywhere. Am I once again missing the obvious?

SHIFT-D is duplicate, ALT-D is linked duplicate.

You cannot use ALT-D on vertices or parts of an object, only whole objects in Object mode. SHIFT-D can be performed on individual vertices, faces, edges as well as whole objects. If you use SHIFT-D in Edit mode, the cloned vertices will be part of the same object, whereas in Object mode a separate object is created.

Seriously Max, I think you ask too many questions. Just work things out for yourself, and it'll all become clear. I can see why it's taken you so long to learn LW, and you're still struggling, because any time you run into the slightest hitch, you run off to ask someone what the problem is.

That's not a very efficient way to learn it. The fastest and most comprehensive way to learn, is through your own testing and experimentation.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site