Noob modeling/texturing thread

Maximius

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard for me to say really, I suppose you are using Dark Radiant but using the Doom3 resources to build with?

In that case it is possible that Doom3 doesn't include footstep sounds for different materials even though the shaders can sound like different materials. By that I mean they never made a sound for walking on wood as the game was a space marine. I only remeber metal and concrete/stone floors. I don't even remember ANY wood in Doom3 at all, but I could be mistaken.

In which case all your footstep probably either sound like a hard stone surface or a metal surface, probably defaulting to stone. So if you walk across wood and stone you'll hear the same footsteps.

You should be more specific with Q's though, I don't know what material types you've tried other than the wood one which might not work with Doom3. If you haven't I'd first try original Doom3 materials. Probably a stone floor next to a metal one and see if they sound different. If so then you know the prob is doom not having 'wood footsteps'. In that case you don't need to worry, once DR is released you will have wood footstep sounds and they will sound correct at that time.

Or you can make your own sounds for now. Use T2 placeholders or something.

-----------

I just looked at the doom base_floors material file. NON of their floors had a material type, so as I suspected they probably only had one footstep sound.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Yeah sorry, I though this was a quick and easy to answer question. Doom 3 does indeed not other sounds for the surfaces. The Article on surfacetypes in the wiki was kinda misleading here, 'cause it listed doom's surface types, which actually don't have different sounds either... :)

Anyway, I don't need the sounds right now anyway. I was just wondering, what might have gone wrong here...

No prob, I'm still just getting into the editor myself so alot of this stuff is unknown to me, figuring it out as I go. I know the answer to this now;)

I'll look at the Wiki and see what's up. Been doing a bit of work there lately anyway. New patch tuts up if you're interested, and info on specifics for creating objects for game.

agree; I think they are trying to add more menu-based options (originally there were many functions which were only available by keyboard shortcuts). There is also supposedly a project going on to rationalise and clean up many of the more cluttered buttons panels, but it never seems to make it into any of the point releases as yet.

Seems they're aware of the problem at least, so that's good. The sooner the panels are rationalised the better, they're quite confusing at the moment.

To be fair, the snap options were added fairly recently so for a long time your complaint about not being able to snap vertices would have stood.

Ah, perhaps that's why I couldn't find this version of snap in the manual; it may not have filtered down into all the documentation yet.

On reflection, I think my way would have been eased if the documentation was better. The tutorial, for example, usually lists keyboard shortcuts as the only way of getting to a feature. And it doesn't point out the best places (documentation-wise and UI-wise) to look for more information, for when you need to do things that aren't in the tutorial. It's the give a man a fish / teach him to fish thing again.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I know about patches already from my quake 3 mapping experience (mostly trickjump obstacle courses for q3 defrag, in case you are interested click this link). Used the 1.5 radiant and I love it. Still missing some features here apparently, but there for DR comes (or will come) along with other nice things.

But hey, the other tut is really coming at the right time. I've been looking for information on that topic all day. Didn't know Doom 3 did the normalbaking. I guess you can't bake the diffuse channel without though, right? So in the end you gotta bake in you prefered 3d app anyway if it comes to more complex diffuse texturing...

Yeah, Doom3 just does normals but I'm starting to use Crazy Bump for that instead, very cool program that also does speculars. Of course this is more of a photoshop friendly app, you have to use a texture not a model to create the bump maps but it's got a cool preview window now. It's better than the nvidia filter for photoshop and you can see the results on a model in real-time.

Max always crashes on me when I've tried to do the normal map baking, just stick to photoshop for that, at least for now.

I am using crazybump too. Created nearly all my normals with that tool. It gave me bad results only once, but then I just modeled the bad parts in c4d and a perfect normal map was done... :) I spent the most time on creating a custom normalmap shader, 'cause I couldn't find one anywhere.

In general I also prefer 3ds max for modeling. Is texture baking and a normalmal shader integrated in version 8?

Another aside - just as I'm getting into this animating thing, I find out that Lightwave doesn't grok .fbx files (3DS Max, Maya, Motion Builder, Endorphin...), and it's apparently a real pain to try convert files and keep all the disparate information they carry in tact; I haven't found a failsafe way yet. They used to have a patch that handled the conversion but now it's like 2 versions outdated.

Why on earth would LW be cutting themselves from 90% of what's going on in the 3D world like that, now, with the recent version, just when the internet is exploding with .fbx and 3DS Max stuff and it's become an effective standard??

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

badcog and orb a few questions please to speed me along . i'm reading on placing objects into darkradiant. taking my alembic as an example. i named it alembic_kit_unskinned_500faces. i though including poly counts would be a good idea, unless this info is readily accesible elsewhere. so here are my questions

1. Does DR recognize .blend files? i read somewhere it recognizes .lwo so im assuming .blend is supported too but just checking

2. Do i have to manually move files to the folders in DR, im guessing the entites folder under program files/DR?

once i have done these things i should be able to place my objects on a simple map and then apply skins to them, yes? and properties and such.

I think DR displays the poly count in the model browser, doesn't it? And worse, if someone changes the amount of polys in the model, then all existing references to it would break. So I'd strongly advise not including the poly count in the model filename.

I very much doubt DR can read .blend files, and Doom 3 only reads LWO and ASE, so that won't do. You can export from Blender to those formats though.

Assets don't go in DarkRadiant's folder. They go in Doom 3's folder, since Doom 3 needs to read them. Put them somewhere under [Doom3]/base/models. If you don't have Doom 3, you'll probably need to make a fake Doom 3 folder to keep DR happy.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I think DR displays the poly count in the model browser, doesn't it? And worse, if someone changes the amount of polys in the model, then all existing references to it would break. So I'd strongly advise not including the poly count in the model filename.

I very much doubt DR can read .blend files, and Doom 3 only reads LWO and ASE, so that won't do. You can export from Blender to those formats though.

Assets don't go in DarkRadiant's folder. They go in Doom 3's folder, since Doom 3 needs to read them. Put them somewhere under [Doom3]/base/models. If you don't have Doom 3, you'll probably need to make a fake Doom 3 folder to keep DR happy.

I don 't know if DR displays polys, probably so, but you make a good point about the changing polycount. I will read up on .ASE files tonight. And I do have D3 reinstalled now along with DR so that should not be a problem. Thanks for your info crispy.

Use ase if you can, the reason being is that you can edit them in text pad or notepad.

That way you can actually add collision/shadow meshes to the file without changing the rest of the file. You can also just put your shader names in there like I do. It's also easier for ANYONE one the team to look at them and help you trouble shoot.

I can convert lwo's to 3ds but loose the uv mapping info.

-----

Model viewer does show polycount, even if Doom doesn't.

Just name them:

object type/ material, ect... almebic_glass_01, albmemic_metal_02... Use all lower case! all dr files should be in lower case.

-----

For entities (moveable objects, objects created with light attaced, ect...) you just make a model as normal and put it in the models folder. We have them organized...

models/furniture

models/mechanical...

This list should be added to Wiki if not already

Then make a def file that IS the 'entity' which points to a model.

Use ase if you can, the reason being is that you can edit them in text pad or notepad.

That way you can actually add collision/shadow meshes to the file without changing the rest of the file. You can also just put your shader names in there like I do. It's also easier for ANYONE one the team to look at them and help you trouble shoot.

Yeah, .lwo are a pain in the butt if you don't have any of the programs needed to open it - like me :(

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Any format is a pain in the butt if you can't open it. :) I don't like ASE files because Lightwave won't open them (there's a limit to how much you can effectively do in a text editor).

Model Folder Structure

I guess I have spent way too much time on your wiki... ^_^

By the way here are some nice tutorials for lightwave and maya in the context of doom 3 models. Baddcog probably already knows these, cause I saw him post in those forums... ;) Aparently you find no good doom 3 tutorials for 3ds max, so I guess I'll make a transition over to Maya.

Edited by STiFU

Any format is a pain in the butt if you can't open it. :) I don't like ASE files because Lightwave won't open them (there's a limit to how much you can effectively do in a text editor).

Yeah, that's true. Tho I have to say that at least you can use grep with a textfile.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm not sure about any ase conversion programs. If there aren't any it's a bummer that ID chose 2 formats that are so incompatible for similar items. 3ds surely would've been better than ase in that regard. However I can't say why exactly they chose those formats, maybe there was a good reason.

STiFU, nice work there, that's good info for everyone who doesn't have the resources. (I'm glad someone else did it :) )

However I can't say why exactly they chose those formats, maybe there was a good reason.

Probably because ASE is a reasonably common (I think?) and easy to parse format, so it's good for modders. However, they may have had in-house modellers who used Lightwave and wanted to be able to push changes from Lightwave into Doom without going through an extra exporter step. Also, the LWO format is publicly documented, so wouldn't have been difficult to write an importer for.

STiFU, nice work there, that's good info for everyone who doesn't have the resources. (I'm glad someone else did it :) )

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't write the model folder structure, since I am no teammember either. Springhell did. I just happened to know where it's saved, since I read a lot in your wiki... :)

There are ASE exporters in form of phython scripts for Blender, just google and you'll find lots. Some of them even triangulate the object automatically which is needed for ASE, IIRC. And I also think that ASE is a very commonly used format. It's kind of an easy to use universal format and shame on every tool, that doesn't support it. :>

Oh, well, thanks for linking to it. Good job Spring!

I was at work and only and time for quick answer, no time to look... If you are spending alot of time on Wiki that is good to know.

ase's work fine without triangulating, at least when exported from Max. It's the lwo's which I have heard that must be triangulated, they are the ones that make Doom spit an error. I have been triangulating my ase's for awhile now anyway, just to conform but never had a problem with them before that, anyway it helps with the later stages of modelling like turning edges.

im looking at this .ase script webpage linked in the Wiki, what exactly do i do with this thing? do i simply copy it to notepad document and put it into the scripts folder? and do i have to include the amendments that appear in the postings below it? sorry this kind of stuff is byzantine to me.

Edited by Maximius

im looking at this .ase script webpage linked in the Wiki, what exactly do i do with this thing? do i simply copy it to notepad document and put it into the scripts folder? and do i have to include the amendments that appear in the postings below it? sorry this kind of stuff is byzantine to me.

You should post a link to that page. I have a fast connection at home but sometimes I gotta use this painfully slow connection.

I looked at the models page on Wiki but didn't see any 'ase scripting' page so not sure what you are looking at.

You only need to script objects if you want them to do something, like rotating gears.

There are some material lines I know of for issuing normal map commands on your models thru Doom, not sure if that's what you mean.