The Dark Mod Forums

Noob modeling/texturing thread

Maximius

Looks ok. It takes a bit until you get uv-mapping right. But once you've learned it's done much faster, while still being annoying!!! :) The best thing is to add a normal uv-mask before that fits your model the best way (e.g. a cuboid or a cylinder) and tweak the uvs manually in the unwrap editor afterwards.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this tutorial about planar, sphere, cube and other kinds of UV mapping but its confusing, I don't seem to have the buttons its referring to. I'm supposed to find the buttons to set the xyz coordinates of the texture but my button menu under Textures doesn't look like the pictures provided. Does anyone know the way to find this menu?

http://www.blender.org/documentation/htmlI...G.TEX.F.S68.103

• 7 months later...

This is a quite exceptionally noob question, but I've exhausted 30 minutes or more of googling and haven't found a straight answer for it yet.

I'm fiddling with making an object (actually, converting my ornate streetlamp), part of which involves a piece of ornate ironwork (you can see it on this image). In Thief2 I've done it using the alpha channel in a .tga to make the ironwork opaque and the spaces inbetween transparent, will the same technique work with textures applied to objects in TDM?

Quod nesciunt eos interficiet

This is a quite exceptionally noob question, but I've exhausted 30 minutes or more of googling and haven't found a straight answer for it yet.

I'm fiddling with making an object (actually, converting my ornate streetlamp), part of which involves a piece of ornate ironwork (you can see it on this image). In Thief2 I've done it using the alpha channel in a .tga to make the ironwork opaque and the spaces inbetween transparent, will the same technique work with textures applied to objects in TDM?

Yes. The D3 engine can do some really crazy stuff and all in real-time. So you can change the color or opacity of materials, swap out materials at runtime, even use them as shadow casting maps on lights etc. Combine this with lights (that can change color on each frame rendered, too!) and there are nearly no limits :)

Here is a starting point:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...c_Material_File

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

In Thief2 I've done it using the alpha channel in a .tga to make the ironwork opaque and the spaces inbetween transparent, will the same technique work with textures applied to objects in TDM?

Yes, you can do exactly the same thing in TDM. You just have to tell the material shader to use transparencies (not sure how Dromed handled that).

For the record, dromed's method is typically blunt. The first color of whatever palate the texture is using is rendered as transparent. So you want to make sure all your palates use like purple as the first color.

I wanted to figure this out for TDM too for the strings on the lute I made.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

For the record, dromed's method is typically blunt. The first color of whatever palate the texture is using is rendered as transparent.

For indexed gif or pcx textures used on objects and terrain, correct. However, Dark will support .tga object textures, in which case it uses the alpha channel for transparency information.

Thanks guys, I've got a handle on what's needed now.

Quod nesciunt eos interficiet

I prefer my palate to be a sort of healthy, pink colour.

Yeah, I was a little too quick on the spell-check there.

I originally spelled it palatte, and palate was the stupid correction it offered me. Then I was too lazy to bother editing it after I saw it was still wrong (unlike this post ;) )

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.