The Dark Mod Forums

DDS viewer and convertor here

Fidcal

Maybe everyone already knows about these but I didn't so maybe someone else doesn't too.

Anyone not able to access the textures in DDS image files, there is a simple but effective viewer program here...

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/windows...ure_viewer.html

At first sight it looks restrictive - hey no zoom, no thumbnails, one at a time? - but you can scroll through a directory and zoom using the arrow keys with a mousewheel option too. The TDM DDS files are not in the usual textures folder but in doom3\darkmod\dds\textures\darkmod. If you associate DDS files with WTV then you can browse them right in those folders just by clicking them in Explorer. One easy way is in WTV's Help there is an associate option.

I don't know what the possibities are for converting to jpg or tga using a screengrab program but worth considering - but you may not need to. I found another program that can convert from DDS back to TGA. Dev Team take note as I vaguely recall someone saying you might possibly include both DDS and original TGA versions. But don't know if you are aware of this which you could call from Dark Radiant or some other program or it can be run from a command line. It's an NVidia dev tool at....

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/texture_tools.html

It's awkward for the average user. I tried making an old DOS batch file but I think XP could not figure out the path. Prob it could be typed in the command line. I finally used my old faithful Ztree but no doubt someone can figure out an easy way for anyone in Windows. If desperate let me know and maybe I'll write a mini prog to do it, perhaps with batching if I'm in a good mood.

The syntax to convert from DDS to TGA is just...

nvdecompress NAME.DDS

Do not specify an out file as in the compressor example in the readme as it didn't like it. Just use the DDS name and you get a TGA file output with the same name, eg, NAME.TGA.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 2 replies
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies
    • The Black Arrow

I wanna play Doom 3, but fhDoom has much better features than dhewm3, yet fhDoom is old, outdated and probably not supported. Damn!
      Makes me think that TDM engine for Doom 3 itself would actually be perfect.
      · 6 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

Maybe a bit of advice ? In the FM series I'm preparing, the two main characters have the given names Toby and Agnes (it's the protagonist and deuteragonist, respectively), I've been toying with the idea of giving them family names as well, since many of the FM series have named protagonists who have surnames. Toby's from a family who were usually farriers, though he eventually wound up working as a cobbler (this serves as a daylight "front" for his night time thieving). Would it make sense if the man's popularly accepted family name was Farrier ? It's an existing, though less common English surname, and it directly refers to the profession practiced by his relatives. Your suggestions ?
      · 9 replies