The Dark Mod Forums

Rage

squill

anyone seen the trailer for id's software new game Rage?

If you haven't check it out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23174.html

i was quite surprised after seeing this trailer compared to the earlier footage from the mac expo. The character in the beginning of the trailer looks much better up close than it did in the Mac expo footage.

Sounds to be a Mad Max inspired theme with road races and action/adventure elements. It's still a fps but with less gore and more outdoor environments to explore.

I hope - but doubt - that there will be vehicle-mounted weapons. I've been waiting for a good digital Car Wars for a long time. Mmmmm... driver/gunner coop play...

Also, in related news, id is now using Steam for some of their old titles (including D3). I guess that means we can expect to need Steam for id games from here on out.

YIPPEE!

:angry:

It would be a good idea to find out if Steam version of Doom 3 will run Dark Mod (I know the Steam Thief 3 won't allow one to play fan missions)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It's not just a copy protection scheme, it's also a distribution mechanism. If iD start using it as the latter, I won't have a problem with it, but I shan't be buying games which arrive on CD but require Steam to "authenticate".

I was reading a forum somewhere that claimed STEAM collects data about your OS and shares it for advertising purposes. The people talking seemed to know that they were talking about, lots of specific tech references and such, but Im not a good judge TBH. The one commenter did say he didn't think they collected personal or internet activity information but stuff like what kind of system you have and what amount of memory and so on.

If id does start using STEAM, its bad news in terms of further consolidating STEAM as a power to be reckoned with in gaming distribution, it seems to me. For one thing, if id is using them, its because they must already have good coverage if not great coverage of the market. Secondly, id isn't Garage Games, nothing against GG, but ids name alone has power in gamers heads. It will legitimize STEAM in the next generation of gamers to come in and it will be there for a few more after too. They are becoming the Wal-Mart of gaming, unless there are some other big distributors that I am not aware of.

I doubt ID will start using steam, their probably just raking in cash for 'old' games. Doom3 is already starting to get very dated in comparison to some of the newer stuff coming out and steam is a good way to have people get influenced to buy it before it goes 'dry'.

About the Rage engine. I saw this trailer for the first time today and I'm so excited again :) I love Id's stuff and has anyone else noticed the extremely high poly counts! Carmack must have done something magic again because I'm seeing curves all over the place!

I'm also seeing hdr, beautifully made characters and I'm glad that ID is taking a game in yet another new direction :) rather than sticking to purely fps.

Steam does collect technical information about your system. Valve publishes some aggregated statistics from time to time which they've gleaned via Steam.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I doubt ID will start using steam, their probably just raking in cash for 'old' games. Doom3 is already starting to get very dated in comparison to some of the newer stuff coming out and steam is a good way to have people get influenced to buy it before it goes 'dry'.

Do you mean as a full time platform for game distribution? I agree with that, it will probably be the older stuff.

Yea, despite steam's inconveniences it has been very helpful to me since I have about 7 games on it. It's nice to not have to hunt down cds and spent time finding patches and updates. It's especially useful on a new computer because you only have to download the games rather than spend all day doing the above mentioned. So i guess steam isn't all bad.

Don't know, but I also don't have to hunt down CDs. I have an external harddisk, where I keep all the backups form my Software, and the software itself is in a shelf. When I look for something I just go there, or look on the harddisk first. :) And I wonder how long it takes you to download a decent game. But maybe that's the idea. To cut down the downloadsize, the games get smaller and you have to pay more for this "convenience".

Gerhard

I've had steam download speeds get up to 400kb/s on a normal cable connection which I think it great. It took under a day to download Halflife2. It is mighty convenient, but if you have a bad connection it's a real pain in the ass. But at least you can pause the downloads and things. It also keeps updates to lower the amount of hackers on the game. Anyone remember cs1.6 and how much hackers were on it on WAN? 6/7 servers had at least one hacker on them.