The Dark Mod Forums

Cradle type missions

Macsen

Omnious Bequest was the best thief FM in my opinion. I enjoyed killing the final boss while playing Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor on the piano.

While on the subject on 20th century architecture and the like in Thief... I wonder what the Dark Mod team's stance is on the Art Deco architecture of the mechanists? It was in Thief II, but this period of architecture is 1920s and 30s, so I presume it's not going to be in the Dark Mod? I hope so because it looked completely out of place...

Well, we don't really have mechanist types. The closest would be the Inventors guild, but they're far more down to earth than the mechanists were.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but this period of architecture is 1920s and 30s, so I presume it's not going to be in the Dark Mod? I hope so because it looked completely out of place...

No art deco on my watch. :)

I was a little biased towards those mechanists at first too, but in the end I really loved them. And I wouldn't say, that those creatures would fit into any real time period... =) I mean Robots whose energy sources are heat (or smoke?!) created from little ovens inside them?? ;)

And I just wanted to add: Ominious Bequest sure was the greatest FM ever... =)

Glad there's no art deco. It's OK in its place... its place isn't the dark mod.

OB was a fantastic FM, one of the top five easily. But how did you manage to play the piano and use your keyboard at the same time?

Ah! There's a piano in the room where you kill the final boss. If you kill him and frob the piano at the same time it plays Toccata and Fugue in D minor and a message pops up saying something like 'You like being dramatic, don't you?'

It's those little details that make an FM great. ^_^

Ah! There's a piano in the room where you kill the final boss. If you kill him and frob the piano at the same time it plays Toccata and Fugue in D minor and a message pops up saying something like 'You like being dramatic, don't you?'

It's those little details that make an FM great. ^_^

Did you know of the secret objective?

Edited by Maximius

Glad there's no art deco. It's OK in its place... its place isn't the dark mod.

Why not exactly? Because it doesn't fit in the Thief visual style? You guys keep saying how the Dark Mod isn't Thief, so why disregard an architectural style that could be utilized in early 20th century set FM's?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

We're not specifically supporting missions that take place outside the Dark Mod setting, which has 16-18th Century architecture. If people want to make modern-looking missions (or asian-looking missions, or egyptian-looking missions, etc), that's fine, but they'll have to create the assets on their own.

Did you know of the secret objective?

No. What secret objective?

You guys keep saying how the Dark Mod isn't Thief, so why disregard an architectural style that could be utilized in early 20th century set FM's?

Well if you start putting in 20th century architecture you might as well go the whole hog and put in guns and stuff... but that wouldn't be very Thief-like.

No. What secret objective?

Well if you start putting in 20th century architecture you might as well go the whole hog and put in guns and stuff... but that wouldn't be very Thief-like.

IIRC Its pretty simple but a nice touch. At the end, if you take the daughters body to the family crypt and frob her coffin or something, she is interred in her coffin and it gives you a bonus objective for the courtesy.

Well there is a few architectural models that are a bit deco already, thanks to Dram.

Like what?

Maybe I haven't seen them yet, since I can't run the new version. There wasn't anything art deco about the old version of the map.

I don't see anything that strikes me as looking like modern art deco, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

On the subject of architecture and the like, are there any of those ... ruin-type places like in Thief 1 going to be in the TDM? Or support, or whatever. I enjoyed those missions. Was always curious about the people who built them..

Sorry if this was asked before and answered.. I just haven't seen it yet in my long time of scanning.

We do already have a Bonehoard-inspired mission, as you may know; but I guess you're talking more Lost City / approach to the Haunted Cathedral kind of thing? Probably the best answer is "not yet" - I'm sure someone will make one at some point.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering how the Doom 3 engine approaches gravity in the game. A while ago I played Prey, which is basically a sci-fi shooter that plays aroun with gravity; the game was weird but I thought they actually manged to achieve what they set out to do, at least technologiclly. I've always wanted to make a map like Constantine's mansion in T1, and based on the works of M.C. Escher, for example 'Relativity'.

Even in the other thread about Craymen and those beast it was suggested that maybe they could walk on the ceiling. Is this a plausible concept? Even if we could realistically stick guys on the roof and have them patrolling around I imagine it would be huge task to code the AI to actually chase the thief across all the dimesions of a room. Maybe this could be solved just using guys with ranged attacks, i dunno; i just have this visions of a huge room filled with stairways that are all over the place and have different centres of gravity and the thief has to navigate his way to the top somehow watching for guys not just on his relative gravity but on the ceilings and walls too. :laugh:

Someone on Doom3World was doing wacky things with monsters and gravity a while back IIRC. It's probably possible.

Certainly not a priority for us right now though. :)

Implementing Prey-style portals would be a lot trickier however.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Implementing Prey-style portals would be a lot trickier however.

That was my thought too. Soon we'll have fans implementing Portal-style game mechanics into Dark Mod FM's. Too much woo rearing its head. First the insectoids, next magical portals :mellow:

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!