The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Status

KhAoZ

I didn't expect the artistic style, atmosphere and really the mood of the game to change to a point where it became a parody of itself. TDS seems to have its tongue planted firmly in cheek.... I expected the darker, grittier mood of the previous games to continue.

Amen!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see games these days (along with all the other "cultural" industries for that matter, books, movies, music, etc) ... there's three pressures that could try to pull the industry in three different directions ... claiming them as cultural-artistic, for gaming, and as entertainment.

I mean, in the "good" cases, it's all of these without being reduced to any single one.

The cultural-artistic side has all but lost the battle.

The gaming side is rapidly losing ground.

And the entertainment side is already trying to claim victory.

Games have been democratized, brought to the little guy, and more than anything the little guy wants to be entertained before anything else ... he's not actually that serious about gaming beyond what's necessary, and cultural-artistic concerns are pretty much invisible, at least on a reflective level. It needs to be polished enough to be professional, to be a proper commodity someone wants to buy.

So then there's the independent scene, and a little from that, the modding scene ... pretty much as the vanguard for thoughtful gaming and for being artistically thoughtful. (There's still a question on how culturally relevant games should be; it's not exactly cinema ... but they aren't like card games or board games either.)

The point, though ... it's become clear that what you guys are doing isn't just sprucing up a favorite old game. You guys are part of the vanguard standing on the brink of an entire degenerating culture and demanding more from gaming. And I salute you for it. o7

(There's nothing hyperbolic about that post, was there?)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

(There's nothing hyperbolic about that post, was there?)

Kinda felt it in the last sentence, but that's passion speaking :), and it has truth to it. Hopefully with more thoughtful mods like TDM, and commercial releases like Bioshock, the game audience will expect more than just flashy graphics and a retread of a franchise, and focus more on deeper elements of gaming.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Hey, so you guys have finally gone legit with the TTLG endorsement. ;)

I think it was bound to happen sooner or later, the way you guys are making progress. In the end it's all about the game and having fun and being a group of fans sharing a common fondness for this stuff. That's all the ave person following anything Thiefish cares about really.

I think the nicest thing about this is that it puts the Darkmod right in touch with the center of the community ... so when this thing starts really making waves, it will have a place right at the center of things for people to take notice and join in all the fun. That has to come as good news. I wouldn't know anything about Thievery UT without that link to their forum. I suppose, aside from that, all in all not much will really change, though.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Ah, thanks for that link Fidcal. I was a bit lost as well.

That's cool. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Quite the contrary, the reason many didn't like it is because the developers actually designed the game to force the player out of the shadows and have more confrontations. This was stated by the head guy at Ion Storm at the time, Warren Spector. He felt that the other games were boring and he wanted more action.
What??? Of course they're boring, that's why there's such a devoted community after the first two. <_< I doubt many other games have such a wide variety of well made FMs. What he's really saying is - sneaking around is boring for the average joe who likes to mash buttons, there are lots of these people out there and they have money. But of course he can't actually say that.

The point, though ... it's become clear that what you guys are doing isn't just sprucing up a favorite old game. You guys are part of the vanguard standing on the brink of an entire degenerating culture and demanding more from gaming. And I salute you for it. o7

You got it :)

And who's going to define 'cool' for us?

YOu can be sure anyone else in the world would consider Thief fans to be total nerds, and you're definitely never going to pick up any girls by regaling them with a story about that time you ghosted Baffords...

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I dunno. A guy I knew got a girl back to his place talking about his tea collection.
Mmmh, I like tea (but probably not enough to follow a guy home to see his"tea collection" :D )

And who's going to define 'cool' for us?

YOu can be sure anyone else in the world would consider Thief fans to be total nerds, and you're definitely never going to pick up any girls by regaling them with a story about that time you ghosted Baffords...

Well I'd probably start bringing up my own thief stories... :rolleyes:

LOL. Shot down! :laugh:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.