The Dark Mod Forums

Well met . . .

imperialreign

Hey, new here . . . after a quick discussion with NH on TTLG I thought I might be able to help, so . . .

Anyhow, I've had experience coding many years ago, but my skills have fallen by the wayside between life and life (just went and pursued after a different career after high school). I'll be honest, the last real coding compiler I worked with was Turbo C++ 3, some experience with Visual BASIC 6 and HTML coding; I've also coded some mods for QUAKE and DukeNukem3D years ago, also.

But, as I said, my skills are far and far very out of date, and I'm sure I've forgotten many things here and there . . .

But, if there's any way I can be of assistance, I'm more than willing to try and help - I do pick up on stuff quick, so, maybe that will help.

If I might not be of any real assistance coding, at the very least I'm entirelly willing to help with mapping; prior experience mapping for DOOM, Hexen, Quake, HexenII, QuakeII, DukeNukem3D - I've been currently learning T3Ed in my spare time over the last 4-5 months. I don't currently have any experience with the Doom3 editor yet, but I'm more than willing to learn if it would help the project any. Sadly, though, I don't have any screenshots or old maps laying around - they were laid to rest with my legacy PC 2 years ago . . . I do have a few screenshots of my current 2 projects in T3Ed if need be.

Anything else I might be of service, I'm willing to learn and help out with!

I'd vote for setting you up as a Contributor and assigning a task to you. This way you can quickly find out yourself if you can be of assistance. :) We have a few tasks that might be suitable to get you started.

You can of course do both some coding and mapping, depending on the freetime you have available. The need for coders is stronger than the need for new mappers though. :)

Mapping for Doom. Yes. That was the first game I tried to do this (and the last one so far until Doom 3 arrived :) ). Those were the days. :) But mapping for Doom is quite different then for D3. T3Ed is probably much closer. Just download DarkRadiant and give it a try, I bet you will find it a breeze. :) Never tried T3Ed myself though, so I can't compare.

Gerhard

yeah, I should prob do that - last PM he had asked if I had registered here yet, so I figure it couldn't hurt nothing to do so . . .

You can of course do both some coding and mapping, depending on the freetime you have available. The need for coders is stronger than the need for new mappers though.

I can understand that - I'd at least hope I can be of some possible assistance coding, even if it's just menial tasks. I at least still understand how coding is structured and executed - but, y'know how it is when you drop out of the tech field for too long. I wouldn't mind the practice at all, though, as I'll be re-attending classes for programing again for the Spring 08 semester. I'd also be interested in learning modeling if it would help, it will be another skill that I will be learning in school - although I'll be learning with AutoCAD, which I know is much different. Not sure how freetime will be for me as I'm going back to school to finish up my engineering degree - but, the interest is there for me to learn as complicated and complex stuff I can get my hands on.

Just download DarkRadiant and give it a try, I bet you will find it a breeze.

I'll take a look at it this weekend!!