The Dark Mod Forums

Going to finish uni today

angua

We're going to have our very last exam at uni today (I'm starting at ten, which is in 1 and a half hours, and greebo starts at 12.) After that we've (finally!) finished uni and can call ourselves masters of science. :)

Awesome! Good luck with your exams, both of you.

I've still got two years after this semester. <_<

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Depends what job you're doing and wether or not you decided to start a family I suppose :)

All my free time at uni was spent studying and working on assignments. Having a job that goes for regular hours gives me evenings and weekends :) With the exception of the recent projects I volunteered for.

Thats great guys, congratulations! I'm assuming those are masters of comp science, which means you will actually be able to get a job.

Good gravy, I miss uni. There things are so easy, work is real work that means something to you, your own work. Your boss (prof) is generally qualified to be the boss and even the worst have something to teach you. My goal in life is to become a permanent graduate student somewhere.

Thanks everybody! I'm really happy that we're finally finished! As you said, masters of our time (for the next weeks at least) and no more exams to worry about. And no more dipoma-thesis-writing! :)

Thats great guys, congratulations! I'm assuming those are masters of comp science, which means you will actually be able to get a job.

Nope, not comp science, it's technical physics, so our chances to get a job are also quite good.

Good gravy, I miss uni. There things are so easy, work is real work that means something to you, your own work. Your boss (prof) is generally qualified to be the boss and even the worst have something to teach you. My goal in life is to become a permanent graduate student somewhere.

Easy? Not really most of the time, but definitly interesting.

Heh, when I was 15 I intended to study computer science, but (luckily) I decided otherwise. First I thought about moving to Technical Mathematics, but then I met angua and we started on Technical Physics together.

Looking back, it's better to have stayed away from Computer Science, it would've been overkill - I didn't want to focus on computers too much.

@redface: Congrats to you too. :)

Depends what job you're doing and wether or not you decided to start a family I suppose :)

All my free time at uni was spent studying and working on assignments. Having a job that goes for regular hours gives me evenings and weekends :) With the exception of the recent projects I volunteered for.

Agreed. As a chemist my uni time had a fair bit of homework and extra study. Now that I have had a stable job with the provincial energy company I get more flexible time off. Plus I only have a wife, who works steady too. From what I've seen of my friends and sister, having kids is the huge time sink to the adult life, one I wish to avoid for the time being ;)

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Congrats angua and greebo, you two must be very excited. I'm happy for you. :)

Thanks, SneaksieDave! At the moment I'm feeling more exhausted than excited, though - but I really look forward to the next few weeks. I'm also looking forward to getting some coding work done for TDM and some mapping for the bonehoard. :)

Nope, not comp science, it's technical physics, so our chances to get a job are also quite good.

Whats the difference between technical physics and just a bachelors in physics?

Easy? Not really most of the time, but definitly interesting.

I wasn't referring to the coursework, I was referring to all the little details of life that you don't have to worry about, generally, while in school. And I was a non-traditional student, meaning I didn't live on campus or eat in the dining hall and I had to work on the side and live in a hovel. Still, I loved the life, taking classes, barely making ends meet, fishing all day long when I felt like it, bathing only occasionally until I met my g-friend, but who cared, I had healthcare and if I needed to I'd steal food from work. (I was cooking at the time.) I made up much of my schedule, took classes I liked, and spent my time as I saw fit.

Whats the difference between technical physics and just a bachelors in physics?

Our branch of study is equivalent to a master's degree. I'm not sure how it's in the US, but our Bachelor is only 6 semesters long (minimum), whereas our degree takes 10 semesters at least (the average time needed by students is 16).

I can't talk about differences in the courses as I don't have any comparison. The term "technical" can be understood along the lines of "non-theoretical", I guess. It's more oriented towards actual applications than just bare research. We've got a bunch of co-operations with the industry and therefore the graduates are very demanded. I, for one, worked in the field of organic electronics, which is the field of a strongly growing industry.

I can't talk about differences in the courses as I don't have any comparison. The term "technical" can be understood along the lines of "non-theoretical", I guess. It's more oriented towards actual applications than just bare research. We've got a bunch of co-operations with the industry and therefore the graduates are very demanded. I, for one, worked in the field of organic electronics, which is the field of a strongly growing industry.

That helps, I think its what we call Applied Physics over here. Are you considered an engineer or a scientist? Or a kind of blend? An engineering buddy here has described himself as a "practical scientist."

Organic electronics sounds interesting, I see that these are conductive plastics. Pretty new stuff?

That helps, I think its what we call Applied Physics over here. Are you considered an engineer or a scientist?

More of a genius, really. :P

No, seriously, I'm a blend of both, I guess. We have both the theoretical/mathematical physics part (like plasma physics, special functions) as well as practical courses with maths exercises as well as electrowelding (rudimentary, of course).

Organic electronics sounds interesting, I see that these are conductive plastics. Pretty new stuff?

Not actually new, but interesting indeed. Conductive polymers were first reported in the 1970s (first OFET 1987), but the improved methods of chemistry along with the better purity made these materials competitive in the last decade.

From what I've seen of my friends and sister, having kids is the huge time sink to the adult life,

Yep, you said it. :blink: