The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3 /DR tute please

Hey,

Most of my mapping was with Q3, with a little in DR. But there are vast holes in my knowledge with the D3 engine. In Quake 3, Spog wrote a some great info on the theory behind what the engine was doing, and how it handles maps. Has anyone done this for D3 or DM?

Also, could someone point me to a good tute on the material files etc. I have an idea what they are used for but its quite vague. I'm finding I'm going to have to start from scratch with mapping all over again with the D3 engine, but god its an amazing engine for mappers.

Thanks..

Venus

PS feel free to throw in ny links that might be helpful (including the link to DR tutes).

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thanks for those... very helpful :)

So no ones done a tute on the theory behind the engine for d3? The one spog did for Q3 made the whole thing so much easier to put together in my head. Don't know if any of you read it.

Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Thanks for those... very helpful :)

So no ones done a tute on the theory behind the engine for d3? The one spog did for Q3 made the whole thing so much easier to put together in my head. Don't know if any of you read it.

Venus

Not sure if anyone has done something like that. Do you still have the one spog made? I would be interested in reading it. Q3 and D3 map making should be fairly similar. I think there are some good map building tips on our own Wiki, and Fidcal has begun work on a beginners crash course. :)

I've been thinking that a theory tutorial on D3 would be useful. Not for beginners, but for people who've used D3 a bit and want to understand it a bit more deeply. And for SDK programmers. Basically the kind of thing that I wish people had told me so I didn't have to figure it out for myself while doing SDK and script work. I don't know if this is anything like you mean or not.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

As far as Dark Radiant is concerned THIS is a fairly complete reference guide to all its controls and as NH said, I'm working on a beginner's tutorial - though the start of it will, I think, be too simplistic if you've mapped before in Quake. But later it will introduce all the main elements for putting together a complete Dark Mod map.

Not sure if anyone has done something like that. Do you still have the one spog made? I would be interested in reading it. Q3 and D3 map making should be fairly similar. I think there are some good map building tips on our own Wiki, and Fidcal has begun work on a beginners crash course. :)

Sorry Horizon, only just saw this.

Hang on, I'm sure I can find it online... damn... its gone... there was only ever one source of it, spogs q3map explanation it was called. It was incredibly technical, and required most ppl to study it for awhile to grasp it... a week or more if the person was new to mapping. lol... took me 3 days to get my head around it. I can't imagine what it'd be like if one were made for d3. I'll try n find a copy today... now I need sleep...

Back when D3 first came out, n all the guys at map-centre were pouring through it... along with Spog (writer of qeradiant), it was decided the main difference between Q3 and D3 was the way light was handled If I remember rightly. Jeez I wish I had that doc... damit I'm gonna find it, I could do with brushing up on that myself... n finding out just how different they are.

Thanks for all the links guys... really helps alot. :)

Venus

I've been thinking that a theory tutorial on D3 would be useful. Not for beginners, but for people who've used D3 a bit and want to understand it a bit more deeply. And for SDK programmers. Basically the kind of thing that I wish people had told me so I didn't have to figure it out for myself while doing SDK and script work. I don't know if this is anything like you mean or not.

I'd love one... I never really fully understood the guts of mapping until I'd read Spogs Q3map explantion.

Anyone want to step up to the plate? lol

[Edit] It seems there was only one source for Spogs Q3Map Explanation, and that link is now dead. However I did come across an explanation that is ok, but no where near as complex or as detailed. Here's the link

A Q3Map explanation - though limited

What's the dead link? You might be able to find it archived at web.archive.org, or in Google's cache if it's not too ancient.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I just noticed this myself.

I would positively love this. Half the time, I feel like I can't be helpful as a programmer because I don't feel I have a sufficient grasp of how Doom 3 works as a whole. Knowing how to hack in new code is fine and all, but it's impossible to be particularly helpful if you don't where you need to look for the relevant code to hack.