The Dark Mod Forums

Need A Programmer?

Guest MrQuiet

Guest MrQuiet

I would really like to help with this mod. I am not familiar with doing any scripting for Doom3, but I want to learn. I love the concept behind the map and have always been interested in the Thief environment, as well as that other looking glass gem System Shock.

If it helps I have a degree in Electronics, so I am a competent high-level programmer.

HI!

I'm the lead programmer of this mod. We sure could use another programmer or two.

What skills do you have? Programming Languages? Experience, Math, etc.

I have experience in C/C++, Assembler, Some Java, VHDL etc.

Can't really give any examples of game related programming other than some java games, though I do often look at released source code from major games e.g. Quake 2, Duke3D, Doom etc as well as free game source code so I have a fairly good understanding of the concepts behind game programming.

As for maths, have a good understand of trig, calculus etc.

I have done some mod work before but mainly as a mapper. I was on the OHND team before the mod was cancelled. I know UnrealEd quite well now, but if Doom 3 mapping is not too hard, I would like to try my hand at that as well.

Ok, hope that helps.

I have experience in C/C++, Assembler, Some Java, VHDL etc.

Sounds good. :)

Can't really give any examples of game related programming other than some java games, though I do often look at released source code from major games e.g. Quake 2, Duke3D, Doom etc as well as free game source code so I have a fairly good understanding of the concepts behind game programming.

No problem I also have no experience in game programming. Apart from that little that I read and played around with, like you did. It's my first big game, so don't worry.

As for maths, have a good understand of trig, calculus etc.

That's helpfull with 3D apps.

I have done some mod work before but mainly as a mapper. I was on the OHND team before the mod was cancelled. I know UnrealEd quite well now, but if Doom 3 mapping is not too hard, I would like to try my hand at that as well.

That would also be very welcome. We can use another mapper as well.

Obviously you have to register before I can let you in. I thougth you already were.

When you have registered post again.

Gerhard

OK, so I've had my first quick glance at the editor today. Just a few small questions.

Am I right in saying that it is set up as a Visual C++ .NET project. Unfortunately I have Visual C++ 6.0 so I can't load it into my compiler. Hopefully that won't preclude me from being able to help.

I also notice that there is no map editor in the traditional sense. Does this mean doom 3 architecture is built in 3d modelling programs like 3ds max/maya etc?

I can see you guys have done some awesome work already. The characters, maps etc all look amazing.

Edited by ElusiveOutlaw

Am I right in saying that it is set up as a Visual C++ .NET project. Unfortunately I have Visual C++ 6.0 so I can't load it into my compiler. Hopefully that won't preclude me from being able to help.

YOu must install the NET compiler. Fortunately there is a free beta out which you can use. Just check the forum.

I also notice that there is no map editor in the traditional sense. Does this mean doom 3 architecture is built in 3d modelling programs like 3ds max/maya etc?

The editors are all buil into D3 itself. You must call it with appropriate arguments. This is also documented in the forum.

Gerhard

dear ElusiveOutlaw :)

Welcome to Darkest MOD...Somehow im putting my nose everywhere but im newbee too..

I dont know what to say...Im kind of emotional.......again..

the team is getting bigger and wiser... :o)

These guys are great...Im telling you, i came here last week...And this one week was the most creative and cool week of my life...

Everyone is exteremly friendly, even they are giving you personal care when you get sensitive about something... So im saying officially welcome..

WELCOME!..

where the hell you ve been...soldier!!!! GO back to your desk! and start to make us a fully working Lightwave importer...YOU HAVE 48 hours...

BEST....

-how many times i told you tyrot...how many times ..haa...you WILL stay in your room...YOu will stay in your ROOM!!!...

-But mom...he is a new friend..he's just joined ...ple

-GO BACK TO YOUR ROOM little taffer!!! YOu are gonna model your GRANDMOTHER too...without using template!!!

-But mom!!............goddamn it.....

Edited by TYROT

Just look in the forums. I think we have a beta here.

BTW: Do you see the devs forums now?

Yes, I am downloading it now. I see the dev forums now, thanks.

dear ElusiveOutlaw :)

Everyone is friendly, even they are giving you personal care when you get sensitive about something... So im saying officially welcome..

WELCOME!..where the hell you ve been...

Hehe, thanks! Glad to be a part of it. :)

Edited by ElusiveOutlaw