The Dark Mod Forums

AI Based Games

SplaTtzZ

So hey, i did a search in the forums for a freeware game i downloaded recently and didn't find anything; so if this has been talked to death already forgive me.

The game in question is Facade, which is basically designed around a kind of soap/drama in which a couple who are old friends invite you over to their apartment for a party and end up having a large dramatic fight about their marriage. The graphics are hardly anything special but the sound and audio for it are very extensive; and of course the AI too. Essentially you interact by typing short sentences which the game then reads and acts to accordingly.

I was quite surprised by the level of depth that went into this game considering its only made by like 2 people. When I replayed the act over again I was surprised to find that alot of different combinations of speech can occur, and entirely new dialogue can be unlocked by doing or saying various things. Obviously there are some limitations to this game, the AI has trouble with slang for instance and I find it difficult to type fast enough and have the game read my text in time. This can lead to various errors in the conversation, often with unexpected results.

The goal of the game is for you to try and help the couple, Trip and Grace, work out their differences. However I found it much more enjoyable creating a character named Gonzalo and being a complete and utter prick to them :laugh: At the end of each act a screenplay is generated; which contains all the dialogue, as an example:

TRIP

Gonzalo, remember, it was almost exactly ten years ago, tonight, that you introduced us. -- (interrupted)

(Trip sips his Trip's drink.)

GONZALO

bottoms up!

TRIP

Uh, well, remember how you introduced us almost exactly ten years ago tonight?

GONZALO

nope

TRIP

Uh, well, all I can say is, tonight means a lot to me, and Grace.

GONZALO

was i drunk?

Heh the screenplays are massively long, too long to put in a post, but i really found this last one quite funny.

TRIP

Jesus Grace, come on, I'm not asking a lot here!

(Gonzalo knocks on the front door.)

(Gonzalo knocks on the front door.)

TRIP

Oh, he's here!

GRACE

What?! You said he's coming an hour from now!

TRIP

No, he's right on time!

GRACE

Trip...!

(Trip opens the front door.)

TRIP

Gonzalo!!

GONZALO

Wassup my N*gger!

***Awkward Silence***

(Trip closes the front door.)

(GONZALO knocks on the front door.)

(GONZALO knocks on the front door.)

***END***

Hah the shocked expression on his face was classic, and i was surprised that the AI would react in such a way. Apparently racial epithets are banned in the game :laugh: . To anyone who's interested the game is freeware at http://www.interactivestory.net/ ,its interesting to see how the AI has been designed to react to the player. So far i've been thrown out of their apartment every time I've played.

Also, if anyone happens to know of any similar games with sophisticated AI I would like to check them out so i can be an asshole to the characters in them too :laugh:

Edited by SplaTtzZ

Masq is the only game I've heard of along those lines: http://www.alteraction.com/

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, I remember this game when it came out.

I love parsers and Nat'l Lang Generation stuff, and this game is still the most sophisticated thing out there, for a game. And even then it's really limited. But still I'm glad they're trying to push the boundaries.

I would love to program a game like this someday (no delusions of grandure that it would be good; I'd just do it for the learning experience).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.