The Dark Mod Forums

The latest videos - 10/1/2007

Ratty

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread for this one. I really loved getting to walk through the city for a bit. Really, this is what T:DS should have been. I haven't played T:DS in over a year but I don't remember it having the same dark, shadowy quality. Awesome job on the Dark Mod, and awesome job keeping the community up to date.

The lighting is perfect, and, though I hate to use a clichéd term, quite realistic. You guys have really outdone yourselves :) The breadth of the village and its buildings trumps even the original LGS Thief’s.

What kind of mapping are you using for the sky? Is it a skybox? How is the moon effect done? Is there any luminescence from the moon and does it act as a light source to a limited degree?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

The moon can act as a lightsource of course. Wether this is a good idea, depends on the map. It can put a heavey strain on the load. :)

Fidcal created several really wonderfull WIKI pages, where he wrote down step by step tutorials for absolute beginner, which should address such questions, for mappers. He did this while creating his own testmap as an example, and I have already played this map, which is pretty complete. :)

Gerhard

it's an old version of the map displayed in the videos, i've changed the lighting and street levels in the last version but it gives an idea of a city environment.

@Vadrosaul

The map uses a 3d skybox and you can place low poly objects inside to give the illusion of a bigger city/forest or whatever you like to create.

it's an old version of the map displayed in the videos, i've changed the lighting and street levels in the last version but it gives an idea of a city environment.

I'm saving the new video for later. :)