The Dark Mod Forums

A few arb things

Serpentine

Hey there,

Just a quick topic about a few things.

*A wiki link on the front page:

Could we get a wiki link stuck on the front page? even though it's pretty much all development linked, its kinda nice to have a link somewhere visible :)

*BioShock Video Post-Mortem (thanks to BU)

"Christopher Kline of 2k Boston runs through the entire BioShock production in an hour and twenty-three minutes. Starting from the beginning, he shows off lots of great video of tech demos and early prototypes, giving a pretty clear and fascinating picture of the ups and downs of the development cycle."(133mb/1h:23m)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4508664361400518462

or

http://tinyurl.com/35uahw (flv for watching offline in a decent 3rd party player, with some nice post-processing)

Quite interesting, altho a fair bit is about completely irrelevant sections - it does sort of raise a few good points that you generally dont hear the devs talking about. I felt it was time well spent :P

*Paint.NET

http://www.getpaint.net/

A few posts about alpha channel issues and what applications correctly support them etc made me think of what I do when testing image stuff.... and I generally just use paint.net. It's around 4mb and comes with some pretty damn decent tools, good resizing, awesome UI and design. Its not going to replace your Photoshop, but it does a great job for a quick doodle or to check out a final version of something in another app :)

*ATi Tray Tools & AMD Drivers

http://radeon.ru/downloads/att/attsetup.exe

I'v noticed quite a few people using ATI/AMD gpu's around here - and specifically some people with crashes during OpenGL renders are running. A strange thing happened a while back when I removed the .net framework completely from windows(err... dont ask), the OpenGL driver would refuse to run or crash a lot while doing certain odd things. Completely removing the driver, installing .net and everything went back to normal.

Anyway, I did find one thing that really helped when I was having the random crashes was to not use the CCC/CP release of the driver and instead opt for the Driver only package (14mb odd), crashes completely stopped in the OpenGL renders that I could open without .net.

Anyway - ontop of all that, the tool that's insanely handy to have around without a CP etc (and is way more handy anyway) is ATT. Has everything you could ever want from a graphics card and more, while staying very minimal in memory requirements etc. Highly recommended. Dump CCC. (just disable the FPS overlay, kinda irritating most of the time :P)

And that concludes my 3am babbling on about random topics that I though of this week while reading the forums and lurking :D

If there are parts that dont make sense etc, drink + 3am + too much studying = this.

Serp