The Dark Mod Forums

Scenegraph

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but when you select the green outline lights they still highlight at that point. What do you mean my "blocks a clear view of selection"? I can see how texture alignment might be a bit clearer without the highlight, but what do you mean by "choosing"?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

The exp5 didn't fix the revert to worldspawn black box, as far as I can tell

Oh damn, I forgot to update my local working copy, so I compiled the build without the fix. <_>

Anyway, the new build (it's still exp5) is up here: http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.6exp5.exe

I just realized something: with the way lights are behaving right now [raised here, thus this mention], that is, they have no color or highlight, just a wireframe outline in cam mode, does this mean that we can get rid of the selected brush highlight completely now? Before, the annoying red highlight of selected brushes was mitigated by allowing the user to choose a neutral color (I use 50% grey), which is better, but still annoying and blocks a clear view of selection (obfuscating texture alignment, choosing, etc). If the selected brush could (optionally?) just be outlined like the light is now, no overlay color at all, that would be superb.

*finger poised over bugtracker, anticipating.......*

This is more of a rendering issue, I can't promise anything in this regard, as I hardly know the render code. You can track it, but you know my disclaimer. ;)

@OrbWeaver: It seems we're slowly touching ground again in the scenegraph branch. What do you propose as next steps?

- Should we merge the changes back into the trunk and proceed from there?

- Should we continue adding scenegraph stuff (e.g. layering) in the branch?

- Should we try to get the branch absolutely stable and make a point release?

@OrbWeaver: It seems we're slowly touching ground again in the scenegraph branch. What do you propose as next steps?

- Should we merge the changes back into the trunk and proceed from there?

- Should we continue adding scenegraph stuff (e.g. layering) in the branch?

- Should we try to get the branch absolutely stable and make a point release?

The general policy for the trunk is that is should compile and not contain any serious regressions (like immediate crash on loading any map, or something). It sounds like the Scenegraph changes are well beyond that point by now, so merging back into the trunk is fine by me.

Further changes such as layers should be possible to implement incrementally; it's only the major refactors like removing Instances which require a separate branch.

Ok, I'll give the testers a bit more time to test the branch and I will merge the code back into the trunk when everything is fine.

@Komag, SneaksieDave and hopefully somebody else: can you focus your tests a bit on saving and loading, importing, etc.? This is the most important part of DarkRadiant and it must definitely work, as mission data loss is the worst case we can get.

I have a problem with a slightly complex curved patch. I don't know if this is only with the exp version, haven't yet tried it with snapshot, haven't yet tried to repro in any way shape or form. But anyway, here's some pics:

badpatch1.jpg

badpatch2.jpg

badpatch3.jpg

I made the top of the ramp, then wanted to thicken the patch but it wasn't working right. I tried thickening Extrude along Z axis (-16), but it would only make the underside and not the side walls, even though I had "make side walls" seleted. But if I made it Extrude along Vertex Normals, it would make sides and not the underside. I had to repeat things a few times to figure out what was going on, deleting stuff each time.

So I ended up doing it both ways so I had my sides and my underside, set all them to fixed subdivisions with 12 for a good curve so I could line up the edges perfectly, straightened out the sides (which were at angles from having extruded along Vertex Normals, and everything looked perfect in DR. Then in game I see those crazy sides going down towards 0, 0, 0 (it looks like). They are nowhere in DR, I can't find them to delete them.

By the way, those wall things are solid, can hold rope arrows, etc.

I'll see if I get any problem like that with 0.9.6 shapshot

Do you have a copy of that map somewhere? I could have a look at the saved data, maybe the patch coordinates aren't saved correctly, which would be major.

I'll skim through the thicken algorithm to see if there is anything scenegraph-related in there. Maybe the patches aren't parented correctly, but I doubt it.

It's not just the exp5 - same bug in 0.9.6pre

I had saved just the top surface patch as a prefab. Uninstalled exp5 and installed pre, loaded the patch, and just selected thicken patch, extrude along vertex normals (with create seams selected). In DR I only see the new sides created, but in game (again, heading off toward 0, 0, 0)

badpatch4.jpg

I've just tried some more simple patches with just 90 curves, works fine. So this may just be a limitation of patch thickening. My patch curves all the way around 180 degrees and also up around in a ramp, with 11 segments.

If you want the exact patch, here is the prefab:

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/files/komag_curvedramp.pfb

and here are the maps:

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/files/badpatch.rar

Should I track this for DR, or is it just something we all should be aware of to keep our patches more simple if we want to thicken them?

Should I track this for DR, or is it just something we all should be aware of to keep our patches more simple if we want to thicken them?

I already tracked it, I'll try to fix this today. It's probably a bug in the thicken routine.

The general policy for the trunk is that is should compile and not contain any serious regressions (like immediate crash on loading any map, or something). It sounds like the Scenegraph changes are well beyond that point by now, so merging back into the trunk is fine by me.

Further changes such as layers should be possible to implement incrementally; it's only the major refactors like removing Instances which require a separate branch.

FTIIW, I agree with that assessment :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I've just tried some more simple patches with just 90 curves, works fine. So this may just be a limitation of patch thickening. My patch curves all the way around 180 degrees and also up around in a ramp, with 11 segments.

If you want the exact patch, here is the prefab:

http://www.shadowdarkkeep.com/files/komag_curvedramp.pfb

It appears to be an actual bug in the thicken routine, which has problems with the prefab patch you sent me. Some patch vertices end up in the world origin, hence the weird distortion (it can also be noticed when loading the map again in DarkRadiant.

I'll try to narrow that down, maybe it's due to the fixed subdivision or the unusual shape. What's also bothering is that it looks fine after creation in the editor, but the patch is totally messed up when saved to a map file.

Heh, this is fixed now. The problem was due to rounding errors in the Vector3::angle() routine. It performs a dot product of two normalised vectors, which boils down to the cosine of the angle of the two vectors, which is always in the range [-1,+1], at least on paper.

In this case though, the dot product returned 1.0000000000002, which is slightly greater than 1 and the acos() method returned 1.#IND, which rendered the patch vertex coordinates undefined too.

A new build (exp6) is up, check it out: http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...t-0.9.6exp6.exe

Works great, thanks! Extrude along Z axis though is the same, no sides get created.

I've been making various shaped water for a few hours, using exp6, no problems that I can see.

Extrude along Z axis though is the same, no sides get created.

I just tested it with the prefab you sent me. The sides do get created, but they are inverted. Select all the patches and hit Ctrl-I to flip the patch face direciton. You should see it then.

Ah, I meant when I set it to -16. I hadn't tried regular 16 because I knew I wanted the patch to thicken downward instead of upward. I tried it upward and it works just like you said. :)

If I start with an underside ramp and thicken THAT upward everything comes out correctly at the start. So I think the -16 on a top ramp should work correctly, but the sides are AWOL.

Yeah, I guess I need to refine that algorithm sometime and take the cross product of the vectors into account, so that I can judge whether the thickened patch is created at the correct side.

Also, the subdivisions of the patch are currently not considered, so (correct me if I'm wrong) the thickened patch doesn't have the same (fixed) tesselation as the source patch.

That's right, I have to manually select each patch and set it to fixed and crank up the number to match. I don't mind that, but I guess it would be nice to be automatic