The Dark Mod Forums

industrial style buildings

Dram

Ok, just finished making an industrial style building. About 1.5 years ago I made a map for the teaser trailer - library, and in that I had made some buildings from patches and brushes. Well, now I decided to re-do them and make them fit more to our standards.

Here are screenies:

Comparison shot of my old patch and brush version vs my model version

Size of the building in comparison to a City Watch guard

Top to bottom perspective shot

Looking up at the buildings

The windows on the old version were add blend lit, while the model version is lit by lights. The windows themselves in the model version are composed of 3 layers - from closest to the wall to furthest are: *The diffuse glass layer - opaque and is the main texture *The reflective layer - gives the glass pane look and is basically a reflect cubemap *The frame layer - basically the frame of the first layer but with an alpha map to hide the glass. This is over the reflect layer so that it does not have a reflective sheen over it.

I'm going to make more buildings in this style and then make an Industrial style map for showing them etc.

The windows look nice, but that's all I can make out, even on my fairly bright monitor.

Does that stone supports texture have any specular on it? There's plenty of white spots all around that texture which makes it hard to look at and disturbs the light and shadow situation. Other than that building is simple but atmospheric. I like windows too - especially that round one.

Does that stone supports texture have any specular on it? There's plenty of white spots all around that texture which makes it hard to look at and disturbs the light and shadow situation. Other than that building is simple but atmospheric. I like windows too - especially that round one.

Yeah the texture has a specular. I'm going to remove it for the model because those white spots are too much. I'm also going to do something about the yellowness of the window at default - when you turn up the brightness of the moon the yellow windows really stand out too much, so I'll make them a bit darker.

The buildings look quite nice, but they seem to be pretty huge. If I assume that one floor is from one board to the next, and in relation to the guard, the rooms must be pretty high. I know that old buildings in vienna also have such high rooms, so that might be ok, but 'm n ot sure if those are more 19th century style.

Gerhard

They look good. Some smaller ones would be great too. Maybe some balconies too. Maybe a fire escape so you could climb up one floor, I think that would be cool to seperate it from a background model as much, the player can actually climb/hide get views that way.

I think the windows might be better with a glass without the wires, on the bottom right of the last pic it ise real obvious that the wires are layered. That way skins could also change the wires/ glass color or both seperately.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Those look excellent to me. Would it be possible to also do an ultra-low poly version for skyboxes? It seems like it would be pretty common to want a skybox that makes it look like the city goes on and on around you. (The only example I can cite is Gleeful's preview video for his Iron City map, not sure if the actual map ever made it to our ftp).

The buildings look quite nice, but they seem to be pretty huge. If I assume that one floor is from one board to the next, and in relation to the guard, the rooms must be pretty high. I know that old buildings in vienna also have such high rooms, so that might be ok, but 'm n ot sure if those are more 19th century style.

They look good. Some smaller ones would be great too. Maybe some balconies too. Maybe a fire escape so you could climb up one floor, I think that would be cool to seperate it from a background model as much, the player can actually climb/hide get views that way.

I think the windows might be better with a glass without the wires, on the bottom right of the last pic it ise real obvious that the wires are layered. That way skins could also change the wires/ glass color or both seperately.

Ok, I'll make some smaller versions too. Balconies are a good idea, I'll make many different versions of the buildings, some with balconies etc.

Good idea about adding a bit of interior, I might go and put in a main entrance so that mappers can go and continue it with an elevator or just block it off etc.

Those look excellent to me. Would it be possible to also do an ultra-low poly version for skyboxes? It seems like it would be pretty common to want a skybox that makes it look like the city goes on and on around you. (The only example I can cite is Gleeful's preview video for his Iron City map, not sure if the actual map ever made it to our ftp).

Will do. This should be pretty easy, hopefully.