The Dark Mod Forums

Taoye for Beta Mapping

New Horizon

This is the PM I received from Taoye. He would like to become a beta mapper.

I like what I see here.

What say you all?

Hey,

It's certainly been a while since I've worked in dromed, maybe 4 years... I lost the maps and stuff I was working on but I do have a couple screenies from one or two of them that I had uploaded somewhere and forgot about. I was 17 at the time...

stayinbuildersinn01.jpg

stayinbuildersinn03.jpg

cypher01.jpg

The first two are from TMA and the last one is from TDP... I started it and then switched to TMA. I also submitted a mission for one of Komag's contests way back when... the 3rd contest.. it got something like 6th place. None of this is "spectacular" but I do have a working experience with dromed and running through T3ed tutorial I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly, so I think I can handle this.

IMO there is some potential in that screenshots. :) Looks much WIP, but that's OK I think. :)

Anybody who wrestled with DromEd to create these types of maps is really a mapper - oh, just the memory of DromEd pains me. :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Anybody who wrestled with DromEd to create these types of maps is really a mapper - oh, just the memory of DromEd pains me. :)

Thanks all. Yes those memories are painful...it teaches you the real meaning of saving your work every two minutes.

I was actually working with a guy at one point a few years ago (doing testing for him) who was writing a PERL program for dromed, that had to do with multibrushes or something like brush templates. I never did see where he went with that but it was real interesting.

Those maps above were works-in-progress... what happened was I started college and simply no longer had the time. But now I do, and I'd love to get started on something.

Cool. Welcome, Taove!

The more hands on deck the better. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks all. Yes those memories are painful...it teaches you the real meaning of saving your work every two minutes.

I was actually working with a guy at one point a few years ago (doing testing for him) who was writing a PERL program for dromed, that had to do with multibrushes or something like brush templates. I never did see where he went with that but it was real interesting.

You don't mean by any chance these scripts?

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/vworld/

:)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Hmmm... very possibly? My login on the TTLG forums was cypher628. Sound familiar?

Uh, my mind is really bad :(

I haven't even logged in into TTLG forums for years, but I think mylogin there would have been "Tels", too.

Maybe my source code archive contains some credits file with a thank you note to you? Must check :)

http://bloodgate.com/thief/pub/cow_023b30.zip

Oh, last updated 2000....wow.

jdsmith its the "xarax" from my signature.

Credits
=======

Go to:
Mahk and Doug at Looking Glass Studios for their hints and tips.
Looking Glass Studios, for making such cool games and creating one of the
 most flexible game engines in the world!
Alex Fung for his help with the listbook script
Larson, for his very usefull comments and emails and giving me cool ideas.
jdsmith, for finding bux and actually fixing them :)
Dan Nightfall, for running the coolest fan sites on the entire 'net
O Love, for, you know what :) 
To all taffers on the Thief Editor Guild's Forum: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/
Thumper for his very usefull hints at the database file format. 
Tran for the GUI code and the long email discussions. I have learned 
 a lot from you, pal!
KFGecko for inspiring dome, Jonquil for the new fireplace idea.
All game designers and map makers for their endless inspirations, especially
 from Thief, System Shock 2 and Unreal.
Thanx to some games for their horrible architecture and maps as bad examples.

Special Note
============

On May 24th of 2000 Looking Glass Studios died a sudden and unexpected dead.
		We will all miss you and your games, thank you for 
		  all the joy and fun you brought into our lifes!
							 R.I.P.

Sorry, I don't see you in there but I might just have forgotten to list you, or worse, this is an old copy. :(

My current email archives go only back to 2004 - maybe I can dig up older emails.

Sorry, I don't see you in there but I might just have forgotten to list you, or worse, this is an old copy. :(

My current email archives go only back to 2004 - maybe I can dig up older emails.

Hmm, well the project doesn't sound very familiar... but it was in Perl and it had to do with multi-brushes. The guy's name started with "Dat"-something. I haven't really posted on TTLG in quite a while...

OK so I have PM'd sparhawk for svn access for the mod so I can get started... can't wait.