The Dark Mod Forums

Sotha for beta mapping

Sotha

Hi there!

This modification has also picked my interest.

My background: no dromed experience, but the thief universe and mood is quite familiar since I've played all the titles of the series plus several fan made missions. I've done some mapping before, mainly for my own amusement for Doom 1, Half-Life 1 and Farcry.

More recently I started to fiddle with D3, using darkradiant and started making a medieval city setting using the textures from hell.

If you need yet another beta mapper, I'd like to help.

Here's some screenshots of my work:

inn3ps7.th.jpg

inn4gx1.th.jpg

inn2af5.th.jpg

inndr0.th.jpg

streetsbur2.th.jpg

streetsajr2.th.jpg

streetsih7.th.jpg

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

WOW! Considering that you only used vanilla D3 assets, you hit the Thief atmosphere right on the nail! :) Send a PM to New Horizon. :)

NH, I think this speaks for itself, so he definitely has my vote. :laugh:

Some of the interior looks as if it could come almost directly from the dark engine. :)

Gerhard

Now I read it several times since yesterday, and I still don't understand what exactly it means.

-Maybe it means that he has a dark monitor and couldn't see much in the darker images, except the last three.

That's how I interpreted it, but maybe I failed my sense motive check... :laugh:

Clipper

Glad I'm not the only one... :wacko:

He probably meant this:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

-Maybe it means that he has a dark monitor and couldn't see much in the darker images, except the last three.

That's how I interpreted it, but maybe I failed my sense motive check... :laugh:

Dammit, a 19 succeeds against my bluff check--barely. Your gamma in the screenshots are too low.

Now I read it several times since yesterday, and I still don't understand what exactly it means.

Glad I'm not the only one... :wacko:

You two really ought to think about raising your Knowledge(gaming) skill.

Close! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html Which of course, behind all the fourth-wall-breaking goodness, is one Giant (yay, pun!) reference to D&D.

Close! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html Which of course, behind all the fourth-wall-breaking goodness, is one Giant (yay, pun!) reference to D&D.

But I don't think you understand 0121 with out 0003 :)

Here is something more ontopic:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0008.html

Now excuse me I need to stop my self posting entire OotS here - you guys should really read it. :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I don't get the reference, but at least I am satisfied that a reference exists.

(That reminds me of the joke about the mathematician who wakes up in the night to find that his bed is on fire. After noticing that there is a large jug of water next to him, he says "Ah, there's a solution" and goes back to sleep.)

I would say that the response has been positive. :) I'll setup your beta mapping permissions.

Welcome, sotha! If you have any questions, just ask them :)

Edit: TDM related questions. We only answer other questions every other Tuesday. :ph34r:

A spot check in Dungeons & Dragons is simply when the Dungeon Master asks you to roll (or rolls himself in secret) a d20 die and add the result to your spot skill (which might be 8 or 3 or 19 or whatever).

So you roll a 14 (pretty good roll on a d20 which goes from 1 to 20) and add your spot skill of 8, for a total of 22, which may or may not be high enough to spot the hidden thing, depending on the Difficulty Class set by the DM.

If you are trying to spot a hiding monster or bad guy, your spot check will compete against his hide check. So if he was hiding and got a hide check of 19, your spot check of 22 would notice him. If he got a 22 your 22 would also spot him, just barely (the DM might say "you think you notice something over in the southeast corner shadow, but you're not sure").

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Welcome, sotha! If you have any questions, just ask them :)

Edit: TDM related questions. We only answer other questions every other Tuesday. :ph34r:

-Thanks! I will wait to tuesday next week, then. :laugh:

I'm obtaining the mod at the moment and shivering about the daunting task of converting those vanilla textures on my work into TDM ones.

Question barrage may ensue at a later time.

Clipper