The Dark Mod Forums

Textures

Redstar

Been lurking on these forums for about a year now and figured id sign up and offer to help in any way i can.

Heres a couple of textures i've been working on, let me know if there any use to you mappers?

Preview

Download

I know theres only 8 but i'll keep working on more if there up to your standards?

Also i can model if thats any help, already done a few simple crates and world objects.

I don't have any portfolio or anything, but if you wanna assign me a modeling/texturing test, fell free?

Edited by Redstar

Is that just the diffuse map or is there a normalmap (heightmap) as well? What are the dimensions?

Is that just the diffuse map or is their a normalmap as well? What are the dimensions?

Please also note that any texture that combines wood and mortar does currently not work properly as there can be only one material assigned to such a texture.

So if you assign "cement", the Thief can't hit the wood with a rope-arrow, if you assign wood, he can also shoot the rope arrow into the mortar.

Plus, you can't change withdt, color etc of the wood bars, so all walls will look much alike.

And since adding a few triangles to properly make wood bars isn't going to kill performance (in comparisation to an AI walking past that wall :), these "combinational" textures probably shouldn't be done, except maybe for things that are unreachable for the player (e.g. distant buildings).

But don't let me discourage you :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

More than half of that post is guaranteed to go right over the heads of most non team-members.

:huh:

Plus, you can't change withdt, color etc of the wood bars, so all walls will look much alike.

That's simply incorrect.

Please also note that any texture that combines wood and mortar does currently not work properly as there can be only one material assigned to such a texture.

Since we already have dozens of such textures ourselves how is that Redstar's problem?

The preview screen is just a screengrab from 3dsmax, better of seeing them ingame.

I understand what your saying multiple material surfaces in one texture. Is there a way of using hitmaps on world textures?

The plasterwall textures are 1024*2 and the others that are meant to tile are 512*2.

That's simply incorrect.

Of course you can repaint the texture. But this isn't what I meant by "changing the width of a bar", as you cannot simple do this in the editor. (plus having a dozend textures with different bar patterns and widths somewhat defeats the usage of a single texture for a wall...

As for the rest, nevermind me, I didn't look into what forum I was posting.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There's a way to go around that problem - create two shaders using the same texture - one will be wood, the other will be mortar. Now, texture your building with one of them (let's say mortar) and then using clipper split the walls along the edges of wooden beams. Change beams shader to the wood one. To avoid confusion, make something distinguishing in editor versions of those textures.

The advantage of such combine textures is that they may look nicer. Instead of sharp edges between two plain textures of wood and mortar, you can paint some distortions on the beams edges, put some dirt or fake shadow to make it more natural and interesting.

And of course you can save on polygons on distant architecture.