The Dark Mod Forums

Model and Material Renaming Effort

SneaksieDave

Please track all changes made to existing model names or their material definitions for the ongoing effort to bring naming closer to convention here. This will aid in finding any errors made and bringing dependent assets (e.g., maps) forward with the changes. Also, speak up if you disagree with any changes made.

To get things started, baddcog made the first changes, copied from the other thread:

I was fixing collision meshes so bc_carrot and turnip have been changed

carrot.ase

turnip.ase

sorry if that messes anyone up

bc_broom has been replaced by broom_01

(although it hasn't been deleted yet)

-------

Also on this note, I went thru tools, loot and kitchen.mtrs today and organized them into groups

//FOOD//

//HEAVY TOOLS//

//RINGS//

ect...

I also moved all my door_related stuff into that file

Bunch of grinding work today but it needed done, also added correct frob props to most of my stuff and got a few more moveables working

In addition, I've made the following changes tonight.

/door_related:

- gkey1 -> key_gold01 // affects: tdm_prop_items.def

- skey1 -> key_silver01 // tdm_prop_items.def

- padlock_key -> key_padlock01 // none

- bc_key01 -> key_fancy01 // doors.skin

- bc_key02 -> key_fancy02 // doors.skin

- chest_lock_01.ase -> lock_chest_01.ase // none

- deleted bc_broom.ase (mentioned by baddcog above)

And uh... yup, this is going to be a long job. :wacko:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that all those keys will also be affected in the def files.

Now would be a new time for new def files as needed :D

key.def

food.def

maybe, might want others comments on those, always easy enough to copy paste defs, but hard to find things like keys in a misc def file. I'm not sure where keys are, haven't added mine to a def yet.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

keys are right now in a temporary def file called tdm_items . def , I think. I was in the process of moving things out of there into better places, possibly keys . def or misc . def. Keys were the last to go, I think. So if anyone wants to make a new def for them and get rid of tdm_items . def, that would be good.

While you're doing this, is there any method possible of including shortcuts or comments or similar for models so that some could be in two or more categories? I'm thinking of the wheelbarrows - one small one in 'tools' and large one that could pass as a horsecart in misc. What I mean is, a mapper might want a barrow and not find one or the other. So what I mean is, in the cart entry if there were also a shortcut to the small wheelbarrow or alternatively a comment that said 'see also wheelbarrow under 'tools' and vice versa.

I suppose it unlikely to be possible? This is my wish for entities too but ho hum! :)

One other thing that nobody seems to mention is that the models list in Dark Radiant shows the list in the order it just happens to be stored on everyone's hard drive (probably much the same as on SVN) so even though Windows Explorer displays the files and folder in alpha order (unless you sort them differently) they are not actually sorted at all. This is normal for files and is OK if the file manager displays them sorted but Dark Radiant does not.

So my list shows..

architecture

doors

player..

nature..

map...

readables

furniture..

Within player tools is...

lockpick

gas

airpotion

It's hopeless like that. Just copying them away to a temp folder and back in Explorer doesn't help - it just copies them unsorted. I just wondered what might happen if they were sorted on SVN - would that sort them out on everyone's drives eventually?

- gkey1 -> key_gold01 // affects: tdm_prop_items.def

- skey1 -> key_silver01 // tdm_prop_items.def

Actually, these two are just the same model using different textures, aren't they? If we're renaming anyway, we should just get rid of one and set up a skin for it.

When possible, the names shouldn't really reference the type of material the object is made out of, since that could be modified by skins.

keys are right now in a temporary def file called tdm_items . def , I think. I was in the process of moving things out of there into better places, possibly keys . def or misc . def. Keys were the last to go, I think. So if anyone wants to make a new def for them and get rid of tdm_items . def, that would be good.

Do we have a standard naming convention yet? Should def files be prefixed with "tdm_" or not?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I already added a clickable/sortable column header to the model selector in DarkRadiant, so the issue of models not appearing in order should be resolved. :)

Can you please make that the default? I didn't know this could be done, either, and having each person first to ask, then to learn and then to click once each day just to get the entities/models sorted seems kinda wasting human energy to me :)

(Sorting the entity list was something I wanted to ask for, too so thanx :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Do we have a standard naming convention yet? Should def files be prefixed with "tdm_" or not?

Looking at the current def folder there are several naming schemes in use:

- tdm_ prefix. Special case: tdm_ai_ prefix for TDM AI.

- Map-specific (e.g. bonehoard.def, blackheart_manor_items.def). Problem with these is, if this is shipped in the def/ folder, then mappers will use the assets in other maps (count on it). IMO, no map that's on the main SVN (and not in a PK4) should have its own .def file unless the items contained within are truly map-specific (and I can't think why they would be); if they're potentially useful for other maps then they should go in generalised .def files.

- Doom 3 names, e.g. heads.def. This is done to override the standard D3 files of the same name. It's not ideal but there's no real way around this without causing errors.

- Weapons are prefixed with weapon_. This is a D3 convention. It might be more consistent to change these to tdm_weapon_, but I don't think it's that important. OTOH I don't think it'd hurt anything to change it, unless the weapon_ prefix actually means something to the code (but I can't think why it would).

- Others. e.g. soundprop.def. If there's no compelling reason why these shouldn't have a prefix, then IMO they should be renamed. Ishtvan, are you okay with renaming soundprop.def to tdm_soundprop.def?

So yes, I'd say that you should prefix new .def files with tdm_ unless there's a specific and compelling reason not to.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

IMO, the only reason we should add tdm_* is if there's a D3 def file with the same name that we want to avoid overriding. I think I remember talking about this in the past though and I was outvoted by those who wanted the tdm_* prefix. Don't remember what exactly the arguments were. :)

If we're following the tdm_* prefix, no I don't have anything against renaming stuff to that. Renaming soundprop . def won't break anything.

/loot:

bc_trophy -> trophy01 // affects: tdm_loot.def

bc_bagdiamond -> bag_diamonds // tdm_loot.def

smallbowl -> bowl_small // none

wbottle03 -> bottle03 // tdm_loot.def, tdm_moveable_loot.def

bc_baggems -> bag_gems // tdm_loot.def

At first I was going to change the religious symbol names (religious_symbol01, religious_symbol01_small), to builder_* or something, but then I figured religious_ is in fact probably a good name - it would then sort alongside any others added, e.g., pagan religious symbols, so I left them as they are. If someone has another suggestion speak up or feel free. Could also go with symbol_builder (symbol_pagan, etc)...

I used SVN to do renames this time. It seems to have worked, but what I didn't like about this method was that I couldn't verify my changes before uploading. Since it means another download either way, I'll probably go with the safer method. I also couldn't figure out a way to do it all in one commit (without committing a bunch of things I don't want to), so the defs are one commit, and the models are a second one (sorry).

For whatever reason, 3 of the 5 changes in the rename commit above had their file extensions missing. So either I goofed 3 out of 5 times, but not on the first change, and not on the last change, or there's a nasty bug in RapidSVN. <_< Either way, I won't use Rapid to rename, I'll do it by hand. Too risky and doesn't let me verify before committing. Sorry, fixed.

I actually feel bad myself for so many tiny commits that I make , I try to do em only once but this weekend I was messing with soo many tex files, running in circles... I hate that. Anyway, it seemed like any time I commited anything I had to change and recommit...

Back on topic...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I don't know what the problem is supposed to be. Do your changes locally. Test them. If everything works fine, commit. You should not do a change, (optionally test it) commit, make another change, ....

Unless these other changes are unrelated to each other.

Gerhard

I actually feel bad myself for so many tiny commits that I make , I try to do em only once but this weekend I was messing with soo many tex files, running in circles... I hate that. Anyway, it seemed like any time I commited anything I had to change and recommit...

Back on topic...

Many small changes are good, when the changes are completely independed of each other, as you can rollback any of the changes without rolling back a bunch of unrelated stuff.

It also makes things like finding out who changed what and when much more easier. In case you guys don't know it, have a look at:

svn blame def/bc_misc.def

The numbers in front of each line is the revision when this line last changed (it is a bit thrown off by the recent dos2unix conversion but this will wean off fast as more changes get piled on)

On topic now :)

The paintings have a material called simple "back" and it is missing, too. It should be renamed to something like "canvas_backside" or so.

The paintings have a material called simple "back" and it is missing, too. It should be renamed to something like "canvas_backside" or so.

They shouldn't. The back of the default paintings reference an existing brush texture. Which models are you refering to?

They shouldn't. The back of the default paintings reference an existing brush texture. Which models are you refering to?

I don't know. All I know is I get this warning:

Can't load image "back"

when I compile f.i. "snow", and someone (greebo?) said this is because the painting uses "back" as a texture and this texture is obviously missing.

Hmm, strange. All the painting models should have been pointing to the same material.

I seem to remember that they were working too, but then again I didn't look at the backside too often. Also, it's unlikely for the LWOs to silently change themselves, so I guess we just overlooked that. :)