The Dark Mod Forums

Model and Material Renaming Effort

SneaksieDave

I strongly dislike the idea of DarkRadiant cloaking a shader, not reflecting the actual real shadername. This is a hack that is not worth the benefit, imo. Of course it doesn't look nice if one single shader is breaking ranks, but is this really worth a few hours of coding effort?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a shortcut cannot be added, can a 'dummy' texture be added called 'see_smf_for_sky' or something like that. Or can comments be added? Or a popup or something. Just throwing out ideas. In one way it's not bad if skyportal is left in smf (as well) because many doom newcomers will look for it there won't they?

Personally I see it no worse than the loot entities being under ASCII a. :laugh:

If a shortcut cannot be added, can a 'dummy' texture be added called 'see_smf_for_sky' or something like that. Or can comments be added? Or a popup or something. Just throwing out ideas. In one way it's not bad if skyportal is left in smf (as well) because many doom newcomers will look for it there won't they?

Personally I see it no worse than the loot entities being under ASCII a. :laugh:

I will fix this - the "atdm:" prefix shouldn't sort stuff differently (I wisht the prefix could be removed altogether, tho)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I strongly dislike the idea of DarkRadiant cloaking a shader, not reflecting the actual real shadername. This is a hack that is not worth the benefit, imo. Of course it doesn't look nice if one single shader is breaking ranks, but is this really worth a few hours of coding effort?

The shader name would still be displayed - it is just like the entities. And we don't really complain that the entities are "cloaked", right? :)

The only downside I can see is all the work for just one entry - but I bet once this get's implemented, it will be used for more things.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

The reason we did the atdm: prefix was for easy separation of TDM stuff and Doom3 stuff back in DoomEdit. If we want to say fuck DoomEdit users, you must use DR to get a sensible entity list, then go ahead and remove it. We'd probably have to write another script to fix it in all maps, unless we're okay with breaking every TDM entity in maps and having mappers rename them by hand.

The reason we did the atdm: prefix was for easy separation of TDM stuff and Doom3 stuff back in DoomEdit. If we want to say fuck DoomEdit users, you must use DR to get a sensible entity list, then go ahead and remove it. We'd probably have to write another script to fix it in all maps, unless we're okay with breaking every TDM entity in maps and having mappers rename them by hand.

Well, a mapper could use his/her favourite text-editor to find-replace all "atdm" entries with "" in their .map files. It's a small job, I think. (But still a job.)

It would probably ease the mapper's pain if detailed info on the changes would be given, so the mappers know what to change to what.

But still, I'd avoid it if it is not absolutely necessary..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I don't have any real objection[1] to an editor_displayFolder for materials (I certainly do object to having a special-case hack for a single hardcoded material name, but I don't think anybody was suggesting that). Unfortunately I strongly suspect that Doom 3 will choke on the unrecognised keyword, rather than just silently ignoring it.

[1] I do have a slight objection in that the material name is already arbitrary, and therefore is the equivalent of editor_displayFolder. This would effectively be introducing a whole extra layer of abstraction for the purposes of a single texture.

The reason we did the atdm: prefix was for easy separation of TDM stuff and Doom3 stuff back in DoomEdit. If we want to say fuck DoomEdit users, you must use DR to get a sensible entity list, then go ahead and remove it.

There was a _large_ effort to add a sensible folder structure via editor_DisplayFolder to that list.

So either:

* doomedit supports that editor_displayFolder, so everything is well

* doomedit doesn't support it, then doomedit users are already doomed (no pun intended) as the current nice structure is not showing for them, anyway. (roughly half of the stuff has the atdm: prefix, the other half hasn't).

As least we could be consequent.

We'd probably have to write another script to fix it in all maps, unless we're okay with breaking every TDM entity in maps and having mappers rename them by hand.

I can whip up such a script quite easily, you just have to ask. Afterall, I am primarily writing scripts for a living.

Until DR can do everything D3ed can do, people are still going to be using the later at least some of the time. Intentionally making it more difficult for them sounds like a rather dumb thing to spend effort on.

Copied from another post so if oit looks familiar it is:

Beta mappers beware!

bc_chest and lid 1-3 (deleted, replaced with chest and lid 1-3)

bc_stairs renamed stairs...

bc_pots renamed pot...

bc_sign is now sign_square

bc_coatrack now coatrack

bc_ceramicpot_b now pot_creamic_broken

bc_flask 1 &2 now flask 1&2

bc_non-extinguish lights deleted (previously renamed, waited to delete)

renamed lights named to convention

bc_gauges renamed gauges

bc_doublebass renamed double bass

bc_pines renamed to pines...

bc_flower patch renamed

bc_lily renamed lily

That should do it, beta mappers get to work :D sorry.

btw, shaders and textures will NOT be renamed.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Along the same lines, I guess while renaming is happening we should go ahead and rename the lights so they are all:

candle...

lamp...

That seems to be the general concensus anyway, so I'll volunteer but I would like an OK first just so I'm not steppin on toes/whatever.

Springheel, I guess that is your decision, OK with you?

I don't want to get too carried away so if I do it will just be lights. That seems to be the major naming problem left unless I missed something.

A bonus to doing lights only is that most don't have defs (candles would be the exception)

A quick glance thru random folders and I didn't see any other real issues. Most catagories are split into folders enough that current names should suffice. Lights will just organize the list better.

I think a renaming text will be necessary, as obviously everyone has used lights in their maps. We need to make searching and replacing as easy as possible. I'm not sure how many skins or entities this might effect, but that should be looked into before just mass renaming things.

I think a renaming text will be necessary, as obviously everyone has used lights in their maps. We need to make searching and replacing as easy as possible. I'm not sure how many skins or entities this might effect, but that should be looked into before just mass renaming things.

Having just a "search" function in the editor would be a start, I guess. Or is there already a way you can find an entity by property (like name, or frobabe set etc)?

Somebody removed boards/scratched_dull - I now replaced it with scratched, but that material looks quite fake and plastic, so I would like to get the former version back :)

Who removed scratched_dull and where was it defined? I couldn't find where it was so I can't tell how it was before or restore it.

If it is on SVN, you can always get it back.

Then please tell me where it was so I can get it back. I don't know exactly in which file it was defined and how, hence my question here.

And then you can reinvoke it if it is indeed better. But I would discuss this with the author first.

I don't care/know what the author thought about his old material, all I know is that now my wooden wall looks like a fake plastic one and I want the old version back.

Edit: What I mean is I don't know who the original author is, or who removed one of the materials (and yes I looked via SVN to find out), so if anyone know, please please tell me :) (you get cake, too :)

Sorry, can't help you Tels. Have you tried removing the specular or making it almost nothing on your wood mtr? I believe it is the specular that makes the wood look fake and plasticy, the only wood that should have any is highly polished stuff. And the spec should be very low at that.

In fact that is one of the things we should do sooner than later, get rid of spec on wood.

Sorry, can't help you Tels. Have you tried removing the specular or making it almost nothing on your wood mtr? I believe it is the specular that makes the wood look fake and plasticy, the only wood that should have any is highly polished stuff. And the spec should be very low at that.

In fact that is one of the things we should do sooner than later, get rid of spec on wood.

Yeah, I think that is the trick, but I would also like to find out why scratched_dull was removed (or rather: why I seem unable to find out who removed it. I must be totally stupid the last two days as I can't seem to find it - I mean, it's not I don't know how to operate SVN :)

Maybe the material was named totally different before and I just remember it wrong? *puzzled*

I don't care/know what the author thought about his old material, all I know is that now my wooden wall looks like a fake plastic one and I want the old version back.

You should care, because it would be pretty stupid if people start to overwrite their versions of files because one likes this and one likes the other better. In that case make a copy and commit it as a new item.

Edit: What I mean is I don't know who the original author is, or who removed one of the materials (and yes I looked via SVN to find out), so if anyone know, please please tell me :) (you get cake, too :)

If you didn't change your map, then you should name which it useses, right? So you can track down which materials were changed and look there by downloading older revisions of them.

Gerhard

I found boards/scratched_dull, it's in the thief's den pk4. No wonder you couldn't find it on SVN.

It would probably be better if the textures that come in a pk4 with a certain map would be named differently, maybe with the map name in the path, so they can be distinguished more easily. (Although the texture is quite good, so we could throw it on SVN anyway) :)