The Dark Mod Forums

Contributor Animations

greebo

I was flipping over Nisstagm's contributor thread here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5450. Nisstagm himself seems to have disappeared, but he left a few FBX files on our FTP:

carry1.fbx, carry2.fbx, holding.fbx, interact.fbx, reachout.fbx, scrub.fbx, scuff.fbx and sleepy.fbx

What are FBX files? I gather these are not yet ready for use in-game?

Can somebody check out these animations, whether their quality is ok or if they are useable? What is necessary to get them in-game?

Basically FBX is the source type for animations, yeah it needs to be converted.

I can't look at these from work but I will when I get the chance.

There might be more work required to convert them if they were made with an old rig, but it should still be possible.

I'll render them to vid and upload them first, so everyone can comment on wether they're worth putting in or not.

Or someone else can render them if they get time before I do.

I don't have a clue how I could render these (is it possible in Lightwave/Blender?), so I would appreciate it if you could do that. :)

Don't let me distract you from your current work though, this is not that important, but I'd hate to let these anims be forgotten if they are good.

you can import these fbx files into Maya. They are already plotted. Basicly the carry1, carry2 and holding are poses i believe. These contain around 120 frames but almost no movement.

the others posted below... the fingers of the left hand has some glitches in most anims, also seen in MB.

interact

click

reachout .. i guess the same as interact?

click

scrub

click

scuff

click

sleepy

click

overall it looks nice but they need some work if we're going to use them.

Thanks, squill! I like all of them, these can add a nice touch to our idle AI. :) The reachout seems to be the same as interact, but without twisting the hand, both are useful, I think.

What's up with the left hand? Has it been wrongly weight painted? Can this be fixed easily or does this imply redoing the animation?

A version with just the head nodding would be good--the looking left and right strikes me as a bit cartoonish.

Nisstagm himself seems to have disappeared

I'm not. It's just was no response on anims, so i didn't know if they ok or not. Then I have no time and finaly, forgot about visiting this place :blush:

There might be more work required to convert them if they were made with an old rig

So there IS new rig? If it's true and it's cool it can greatly speed up animation process (at least for me), so I can contribute more, no matter how much free time I have.

the others posted below... the fingers of the left hand has some glitches in most anims, also seen in MB
Yes, I've mentioned about this problem in contributor's thread:
Some new anims from list above. Each of them need fixing of hands animation, after final rig is ready. It's strange that somtimes fingers move even if I didn't animate them. Though maybe it's because I'm new in Maya/MB methods of animating and miss something.

I'm not. It's just was no response on anims, so i didn't know if they ok or not. Then I have no time and finaly, forgot about visiting this place :blush:

Hey, that's nice to hear you're still around. :)

So there IS new rig? If it's true and it's cool it can greatly speed up animation process (at least for me), so I can contribute more, no matter how much free time I have.

Being a non-animation guy I can't answer that question. Maybe squill and Domarius?

Oddity also said he was going to modify the rigging of the citywatch, which is the basis for many of the other characters. I don't know what impact that will have.

Does anybody have a decent overview over this topic? It seems nobody knows in what state our AI animations are, which is a highly undesirable state.

@Oddity: What is your status on this topic? Do you have an overview?

Problem is we don't really have anyone running this department. I was nominally keeping track of it for a while, but don't have time anymore, and the few animators we have are not frequent posters.

I'm compiling a list of existing animations with comments, which might help with an overview of what we have, but I still don't feel I have time (not to mention knowledge, of which I have almost 0) to deal with supervising animations until at least next year.

@Domarius: Are you sure about "last three months"? I thought there has not been any work done on the characters for over half a year?

Yeah that was a guess - 6 months is probably better.

As for the overall view of the animations - there are those that are in the game and playable by using "testModel xxxx", followed by "nextanim" repeatedly, in the console. Then there are others that are sitting around not yet imported into the game (wether they be on the FTP or people's hard drive)

If you want a list of animations that I've got but not put in the game yet, just see my signature.

I don't know about any other anims that might be lying around not in the game, the other animators will also have to report in.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So now that we have a new animation rig, has there been any progress at getting these animations into a useable format?