The Dark Mod Forums

Creature idea

Plutonia

Has the Dark Mod team considered making (!copyright infriction!) and (!copyright infriction!)?

Sorry I mean the Mantipopula and Kangrejoludia?

Sorry about using MS Paint. I can't help it. :wacko:

I am not a fan of these strange creatures (even belchers put me off, especially as the current version looks like a fake giant frog that got stretched :D

I'll have maps without them at all, thank you very much :ph34r:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

That's not bad for MS Paint work!

We won't be including such creatures for the 1.0 release, as we've got a severe shortage of character modellers and animators, and that is unlikely to change. The modellers and animators we do have are currently working on more important tasks, like human AI. :)

@Tels: Pfft. Our belchers are awesome.

"Fake giant frog"??? You dare to insult the mighty belcher?

Sick 'im, Belcher Bob!

*choking and screaming noises are heard*

*chomping noises are heard*

That'll teach 'em.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It takes a tremendous amount of work to model, rig, and animate AI models, so any creature that is almost never used (like the above) is unlikely to make it into the toolkit. We have enough work just getting regular human AI working.

It takes a tremendous amount of work to model, rig, and animate AI models, so any creature that is almost never used (like the above) is unlikely to make it into the toolkit. We have enough work just getting regular human AI working.

Well I meant that when all else has been done and everything works, it could be nice to have them in the 259.105 release or something. Low priority stuff.

If you start learning to model now, you can probaby do it youself by that point.

That's not bad for MS Paint work!

We won't be including such creatures for the 1.0 release, as we've got a severe shortage of character modellers and animators, and that is unlikely to change. The modellers and animators we do have are currently working on more important tasks, like human AI. :)

@Tels: Pfft. Our belchers are awesome.

"Fake giant frog"??? You dare to insult the mighty belcher?

Sick 'im, Belcher Bob!

*choking and screaming noises are heard*

*chomping noises are heard*

That'll teach 'em.

No disrespect to the work that has gone into them! I just don't like their out-of-place plastic look, and how they rotate on the spot like some mechanical model :ph34r:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

how they rotate on the spot like some mechanical model ph34r.gif

That has nothing to do with the model.

Has the Dark Mod team considered making (!copyright infriction!) and (!copyright infriction!)?

Sorry I mean the Mantipopula and Kangrejoludia?

Why would you even want them in TDM? This is not a manga-science-fiction mod. I'm pretty sure if you look around, you'll find more suitable game mod for such type of creatures.

No disrespect to the work that has gone into them! I just don't like their out-of-place plastic look, and how they rotate on the spot like some mechanical model :ph34r:

I don't think they look like plastic...

And the rotation thing is an animation issue. With luck we may be able to get that sorted out, if someone figures out how turn animations are supposed to work and then makes some for it.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Why would you even want them in TDM? This is not a manga-science-fiction mod. I'm pretty sure if you look around, you'll find more suitable game mod for such type of creatures.

As I remember they're from Thief 1. I never liked them. They're too weird.

It's only a model...

Actually, those are pretty much the same creatures as in Thief 1 (specifically en route to the Maw) ;)

They were freaky-ass creatures too, clicking around etc....

EDIT: Damn Arcturus beat me to it :D

As I remember they're from Thief 1.

Actually, those are pretty much the same creatures as in Thief 1

That doesn't explain why they would go into The Dark Mod, since we're NOT copying Thief! :) Here I got you! ;) TDM is more realistic, as far as I can see, with only few exceptions.

And BTW, I never played T1... (maybe except of half of 1st mission, or 2nd if you count training). I'm not fond of creatures and monsters in general - that was always keeping me away from that game.

That has nothing to do with the model.

No, but it makes the already-out-of-place and immersion-breaking (for me) creatures even more,well, immersion breaking :)

Whenever I see giant rats, giant spiders and dinosaurus-like creatures, I immidiately think "fantasy computer game" :)

I really liked those things in Thief 1 :) They strongly added to the flavor of the Thief universe, that it was a strange and dangerous place, not just human city/mansion/church/etc. Even though they were used rarely, that was okay, because it's like a small pinch of spice you add to a stew that is a tiny amount but makes a large impact.

And Plutonia, I really like your artistic renditions, well done!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Craymen and bugbeasts. Not my favorite either, course I never cared for Burricks much. But they are fairly popular among the thief crowd.

I'd much rather see the fishmen of T3 (ktuluck or whatever they are called).

Still, the point has made about modelers/animators. The cool thing is that ANYONE out there who wants them can make them and make proper anims and get them into DR. This was a major limitation in Dromed, I know we will see alot of cool things once Dm is released and starts getting used by the public. Someone could even start making them now...

What I am not looking foward to is the FM's that contain all the doom demons, and you know there will be some.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Classic creatures from the original Dark Project :) Sounds like too much of a stretch to expect anything inspired by them to make it into the release Dark Mod. The tough part I can see is modelling the animations of the creatures' walks since they had an alien gait.

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Actually, have we considered modding the imp to look like one of these characters [specifically the blue one]? Because I agree that it's fairly dumb to have a large creature who functions just as if he was holding a sword like a human, [like in T1] but if we used the rigs of the imp from D3 with some slight modifications, we could have him climbing on walls and everything, and I think that would be a vast improvement from the creatures original form. Of course since the goal of the mod isn't to copy any games <_< we'd have to get our team to put some creative touches onto a character like that. But I agree that a creature like this [never was a fan of the green one] can add to the game if done with VERY small pinches. I think there was only 2 of them in T1.

we'd have to get our team to put some creative touches onto a character like that. But I agree that a creature like this [never was a fan of the green one] can add to the game if done with VERY small pinches. I think there was only 2 of them in T1.

Well about the creative touches, as you can see in my picture, the bugbeast has those weird legs, so he... she... IT can hang upside-down and it would produce some interesting guard positioning. Also, instead of depicting them as a blood-thirsty alien race, they could act more like a weird culture with strange manners such as praying on their stomach head-first to... what ever they worship... the Queen? No, not the band. Oh, and by the way, the flesh-eating-bug-cloud-coughing-attack was ridiculous. I mean, seriously, who has killer bugs in their lungs? Don't answer that.

Might as well just use the Doom 3 monsters with different textures for pagan creatures. The many eyed imp looks like some sort of bug beast anyway.

They're probably the last priority for the Dark Mod in any case. Given that the pagan missions in all three Thief games were pretty crap. Games always go off the rails when they introduce silly aliens or monsters.

Where did those bees come from? Did it just keep them in its pockets or what?

No, but it makes the already-out-of-place and immersion-breaking (for me) creatures even more,well, immersion breaking :)

You are aware that we are not finished with the mod, and as such, there is a lot of stuff which can be immersion breaking because of that?

Gerhard

People are still making weird AI for dromed (link) ... so this fits right into the sort of things fans do on the sidelines.

I think Springheel is on the right track ... If you (Plutonia) want to see something in particular, something idiosyncratic (not likely to be made), then use a 3D modeler (like Blender if you want a free one) and try to model it yourself.

It's not as hard to learn as you might think.

I'm teaching myself to model to contribute some stuff.

I think you should go for it if you feel strongly about it.

I thought both of these creatures were evocative, and they come up in FMs now and then.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.