The Dark Mod Forums

Quake 3 - How was it?

woah

I've never had the pleasure of playing any of the quake games, but after watching this video, I have regrets. How was Quake 3 in its heyday? I always thought a lot of Counter-Strike 1.6 videos (such as the Underground 3--recommended) were quite amazing, but they're nothing in comparison to this.

http://www.own-age.com/vids/video.aspx?id=6212

Direct DL Link: ( http://files.filefront.com/GetQuaked3+HQx2...;/fileinfo.html )

Even if you don't play video games, this video is just down right amazing, and--on top of that--it is composed flawlessly. I never thought I would experience such a high from a computer game skill video (However rediculous this may sound).

It's an ok single player game and better online. Personally I enjoyed Unreal tournament more. However when people use to play the navy seals mod (now pretty much serverless) www.ns-co.net it was lotsa fun. Bid for Power uses the quake 3 engine and is stand alone free total conversion. All in all you have nothing to regret.

Quake 3 was a pure multiplayer game. Yes, you could play it alone as well, but then you just played deathmatch against bots, which doesn't count as single player to me.

If you like that kind of game, it was pretty good. And if you played alone, it provided a good trainging for the MP sessions. :)

Gerhard

All I remember of that game was the ridiculous character model that was basically just a giant Eyeball attached to an inverted bird-like leg. I really hated that guy but it was sure was damn funny to see him hop around flinging rockets everywhere. I dunno what the developers were thinking when they put that alien in there.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

You mean the bounce pad things? They were good for railgun target practice; with some practice, one could get pretty good at railgunning people when they bounced up on them. What comes up, must come- *splatter* ... maybe not.

I've only ever really played it at LAN parties, where gameplay depth really isn't an issue.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

sure had plenty of quality multiplayer fun with Q3. I'm not really a "slow" Unreal player, the speed is one of the reasons it turned some people off.

i personally loved the speed and reaction skills you needed, especially 1vs1 matches or just CTF gameplay. Quake 4 offered the same gameplay in MP, but still it feels not any closer to the q3 engine, probably because of the 60 fps cap.

It's still fun they (id software) are creating a webbased version of q3. Surely will spend a lot of "office" hours playing it, just like TF2 right know.

Open arena is also a standalone deathmatch game (using q3 engine), which offers almost the same classic q3 gameplay and is still being played around the net.

Jesus. I'm not sure whether to be amazed at the skill on display in that video, or disgusted that somebody would spend that much time perfecting their play of a computer game...

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I loved quake 3 way back when, my buddy burned me a copy of it in middle school and id lan it with friends all the time, i stayed up for like 24 hours straight playing it once lol.

For some reason long chains of one letter work as a valid CD key in it like jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj is a valid CD key, crappy code or somethin =p

Jesus. I'm not sure whether to be amazed at the skill on display in that video, or disgusted that somebody would spend that much time perfecting their play of a computer game...

It's sad in a way that, if they'd spent that much time of a sport like tennis, they'd be competing with the best by now. But until Quake 3 becomes an olympic sport their skill and reflexes shall never be recognised. And they'll be fat. :(